Dislocated my ankle on the Flowrider

I am sorry that you got hurt. But I agree with all the others that you made the most of your trip and kept a positive attitude. And as such, you probably had less stress, etc.

Hope everything heals well. I am so injury prone (broke my leg at my own wedding) - that I better stay off the flowrider. I did want to try the zip line but it was booked. Hmmm - anyone ever get hurt on the zipline?

I am sorry that you got hurt. But I agree with all the others that you made the most of your trip and kept a positive attitude. And as such, you probably had less stress, etc.

Hope everything heals well. I am so injury prone (broke my leg at my own wedding) - that I better stay off the flowrider. I did want to try the zip line but it was booked. Hmmm - anyone ever get hurt on the zipline?

Several years ago there was a news article here at Cruise Critic about a woman in her 50s whose zip line safety cable broke and she fell to her death. If I have time tonight I'll try and find the link for you. My take on this is that while it was a tragic accident it probably was her time to go.

Sorry about your broken leg on your wedding day. What a bummer.

So sorry you were injured! That is awful but your attitude is a refreshing change. Instead of screaming about suing or demanding a free cruise you are treating it as what it was- a freak accident. I'm glad you were able to finish your cruise and hope for a full and speedy recovery. Take care,,, Jim

Definitely a refreshing change.

OP, hope you make a speedy recovery and I really think your positive attitude is wonderful. Really happy you had insurance, too.

To the Op!!

Wow I do not think I will ever try the flow rider or allow my 3 daughters to!!

I had not heard of such serious injury's before! But every time I see it advertised I

thought it looked way to dangerous. So glad you go to finish your vacation!

Boy you really know how to bring down an upbeat and positive board. If you took lessons you got your money's worth.

Thank you for your obvious putdown.

Just don't care for the attractions that RCI and the rest of the cruise industry think are necessary to place on their ships, Flowrider being one of them.

They distract from the beauty of the pure cruising experience IMHO.

OP, so sorry for your injury, but so impressed by your attitude. I'm a risk-averse attorney (i.e. a total wimp!), so the Flowrider scares the heck out of me. But I could break my ankle walking the stairs too. Things happen. It's life. Hope you're feeling better soon!

Yanno, I can't think of a better place to be laid up than on a cruise ship. People waiting on you, your food, bed and drink made--no responsibilities. I think I'd do fine healing on a cruise. :D So sorry you were injured on it though and hope you heal quickly.

Pamela

Tucson

Thanks again for all the kind words and well wishes. I was able to move into a walking boot today and will start PT next week. We are looking at the Oasis for next Spring Break, so I definitely don't plan a boycott on RCCL. I won't do the Flowrider again, but that is because I would be just too nervous. I might consider the zipline though. :)

Thanks again for all the kind words and well wishes. I was able to move into a walking boot today and will start PT next week. We are looking at the Oasis for next Spring Break, so I definitely don't plan a boycott on RCCL. I won't do the Flowrider again, but that is because I would be just too nervous. I might consider the zipline though. :)

Your post was the straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak. After reading your story and thinking about my own clumsiness and the number of times I have suffered freakish injuries at the hands of fate, I purchased trip insurance today. :) I decided it was a minuscule price to pay given the cost of our trip.

I hope you heal quickly and congrats on such a great attitude about your experience!

So sorry for your mishap. :( Oh, and you poor DH having to pack up everything. :eek:

I am so surprised to hear that the ship's doctor would put you to sleep and set your ankle when you were docked in San Juan. Thought that in most cases, a passenger is sent to the hospital. Glad you were able to stay onboard.

Have you checked with the insurance company about reimbursement? I seem to remember reading from another passenger that Flowrider accidents were not covered per travel insurance because they are considered an extreme sport. :rolleyes:

So sorry you were injured! That is awful but your attitude is a refreshing change. Instead of screaming about suing or demanding a free cruise you are treating it as what it was- a freak accident. I'm glad you were able to finish your cruise and hope for a full and speedy recovery. Take care,,, Jim

I agree completely, though with family in the Vet business, I thought having her put to sleep was an extreme step. :D

Glad you are okay and you made the best out of an unfortunate accident. I have a question - is the reason you had to pay out of your pocket because you signed a waiver making RCCL not responsible.:confused:

Barbie - Shipboard bills are always paid by passenger, unless the cruiseline deems an accident their fault. Anytime you need to see the ship doctor, you are billed and have to pay. Passengers will be reimbursed by their insurance companies - if they will pay.

So sorry for your mishap. :( Oh, and you poor DH having to pack up everything. :eek:

I am so surprised to hear that the ship's doctor would put you to sleep and set your ankle when you were docked in San Juan. Thought that in most cases, a passenger is sent to the hospital. Glad you were able to stay onboard.

Have you checked with the insurance company about reimbursement? I seem to remember reading from another passenger that Flowrider accidents were not covered per travel insurance because they are considered an extreme sport. :rolleyes:

I haven't given them the complete details of the activity but the fine print in the exclusions does not indicate that they won't pay. This is the language concerning activities:

This plan does not cover any loss caused by or resulting from:

© participation in professional athletic events, motor sport, or motor racing, including training or practice for the same;

(d) mountaineering where ropes or guides are normally used. The ascent or descent of a mountain requiring the use of specialized equipment, including but not limited to pick-axes, anchors, bolts, crampons, carabineers, and lead or top-rope anchoring equipment;

(f) operating or learning to operate any aircraft, as student, pilot, or crew;

(g) air travel on any air-supported device, other than a regularly scheduled airline or air charter company;

Given the language, I think they would be hard pressed not to pay. I have to sit down this week and fill out the claim forms and I guess we will see.

Barbie - Shipboard bills are always paid by passenger, unless the cruiseline deems an accident their fault. Anytime you need to see the ship doctor, you are billed and have to pay. Passengers will be reimbursed by their insurance companies - if they will pay.

Exactly. I feel bad for someone who might be traveling on a strict budget and not have extra cash or credit to pay. I wonder what might happen....

You are lucky with the wording. Mine says "extreme sports" but not sure what that would cover outside of zip lining and parachuting. I guess if more of these Flowrider accidents happen, the insurance companies might add the Flowrider. :D

My feeling is that anyone that can afford to cruise, should be able to purchase travel insurance, and take care of any unexpected cost should they arise. :rolleyes:

I haven't given them the complete details of the activity but the fine print in the exclusions does not indicate that they won't pay. This is the language concerning activities:

This plan does not cover any loss caused by or resulting from:

© participation in professional athletic events, motor sport, or motor racing, including training or practice for the same;

(d) mountaineering where ropes or guides are normally used. The ascent or descent of a mountain requiring the use of specialized equipment, including but not limited to pick-axes, anchors, bolts, crampons, carabineers, and lead or top-rope anchoring equipment;

(f) operating or learning to operate any aircraft, as student, pilot, or crew;

(g) air travel on any air-supported device, other than a regularly scheduled airline or air charter company;

Given the language, I think they would be hard pressed not to pay. I have to sit down this week and fill out the claim forms and I guess we will see.

So I take it the insurance your purchased is primary, because if it is secondary your personal heath care will pay first then the trip insurance will kick in, typically only paying the deductible.

Hope you heal fast, I've experienced a few freak accidents myself, NO FUN!!!!

The week I was on Oasis there were a number of flowrider accidents including someone who knocked their two front teeth out and a broken arm. Saw a number of people with the Royal Carribean blue cast tape on a variety of ankles, not sure if that was flowrider or too many adult beverages and not enough attention to the various single steps on board.

Hi , I was on the independence in february of 09. I was going to try the flowrider, but as luck would have it I would not get the chance. We were at Orient beach the day before. It was an unuasually windy day. I saw a wave coming toward me and dove into it. When I did I felt and heard a loud POP. It was my Achilles tendon. 3 guys carried me to my lounge chair. It was there my injury became apparent to me and my wife. We went back to the ship medical center where I received excellent care. My leg was immobilized and i was given a wheelchair. We made the best of it. My wife helped take care of me and drove me around the ship.

labadee3.jpg.de74953196cdfd1d069689c2e4096b37.jpg

The week I was on Oasis there were a number of flowrider accidents including someone who knocked their two front teeth out and a broken arm. Saw a number of people with the Royal Carribean blue cast tape on a variety of ankles, not sure if that was flowrider or too many adult beverages and not enough attention to the various single steps on board.

Yikes...I would not want to loose my front teeth.

Hi , I was on the independence in february of 09. I was going to try the flowrider, but as luck would have it I would not get the chance. We were at Orient beach the day before. It was an unuasually windy day. I saw a wave coming toward me and dove into it. When I did I felt and heard a loud POP. It was my Achilles tendon. 3 guys carried me to my lounge chair. It was there my injury became apparent to me and my wife. We went back to the ship medical center where I received excellent care. My leg was immobilized and i was given a wheelchair. We made the best of it. My wife helped take care of me and drove me around the ship.

[ATTACH]153754[/ATTACH]

Hope you have made a speedy recovery!

Wow OP, I'm so sorry to hear that. We were on the Liberty last year again. The first time we were on it I had a bum knee that ended up in surgery (torn meniscus) so I did not get on it in 2008. This time I was bound and determined. I did it, I had mucho problems staying at the bottom (I am no lightweight, coming in at 127 lbs) but I couldn't get myself to stay at the bottom. We figured out after I got off, I was digging my feet into the water as the tops of both feet were black and blue..LOL It looked quite funny later on with sandals. At least I did get on it..and it was fun! We watched (daily) as a 78 year old man got on and did great...that made me even more determined and I'm not quite 50 yet. :) I hope your ankle heals quickly. We watched and participated many times on our last sailing. Luckfully I did not see any injuries. Take care of yourself!

Archived