Princess cancellation policy

BballinQT24

Can somebody tell me Princess' cancellation policy? If you cancel before final payment do you get your deposit back?

I'm in a situation where I will most likely be able to take that time off work, but won't know for certain for a little while. The cruise we want to take in December is filling up and I don't want to wait too long to book it and miss out on a good room. I'm tempted to just book it now and if for some reason I can't go, cancelling it.

As long as it is before the final payment date, you will be refunded your deposit. But if you book through a TA, just make sure they don't charge a cancellation penalty, as some do charge for this. If booked direct, no problem, you will be refunded your deposit if it's before the final payment date. ;)

Thanks for the quick answers! I will check with my TA to make sure they don't charge a cancellation fee. One last question- (which I should know the answer to, but I don't ;))how many days before sailing is the final payment usually due?

Thanks for the quick answers! I will check with my TA to make sure they don't charge a cancellation fee. One last question- (which I should know the answer to, but I don't ;))how many days before sailing is the final payment usually due?

Usually 75 days before sailing. But it all depends on the sailing date, if it is around a holiday then the cancellation date is different on some sailings. I tried posting the link to the Princess webpage that has the schedule, but Princess seems to be having problems with their website this morning, it is going blank when I try.

Just a head's up: on certain sailings, Princess sometimes offers special discounted fares where the deposit is NOT refundable. Our friends took this option on our upcoming CB cruise. The fare was $150 less with a non-refundable deposit than the fare for the same cabin with a refundable deposit. It's a good way to save money if they are offering this special, however if you want to be sure that you'll get your deposit back, double check that you do not have this type of fare.

Just a head's up: on certain sailings, Princess sometimes offers special discounted fares where the deposit is NOT refundable. Our friends took this option on our upcoming CB cruise. The fare was $150 less with a non-refundable deposit than the fare for the same cabin with a refundable deposit. It's a good way to save money if they are offering this special, however if you want to be sure that you'll get your deposit back, double check that you do not have this type of fare.

Very good point made! ;)

... But if you book through a TA, just make sure they don't charge a cancellation penalty, as some do charge for this. ...

I just want to add to this ... If in fact you find your TA wants to assess a cancellation fee, now is the perfect time to discuss with him or her, exactly why you should consider their "service" for your next cruise.

Some agencies charge cancellation fees, some charge the fee but will issue a credit against a future cruise, and some others don't charge the fee at all.

Personally, I would accept nothing less than receiving a credit towards the next cruise. If my TA didn't want to go along with that, I wouldn't be shy about explaining why I won't be back.

Good luck!:cool:

I just want to add to this ... If in fact you find your TA wants to assess a cancellation fee, now is the perfect time to discuss with him or her, exactly why you should consider their "service" for your next cruise.

Some agencies charge cancellation fees, some charge the fee but will issue a credit against a future cruise, and some others don't charge the fee at all.

Personally, I would accept nothing less than receiving a credit towards the next cruise. If my TA didn't want to go along with that, I wouldn't be shy about explaining why I won't be back.

Good luck!:cool:

Really, as long as a TA is up-front about it, I have no problem with cancellation fees.

Sneakily stuck on page 13 of a 20-page "Terms and Conditions"... I don't think so.

SirWired

Really, as long as a TA is up-front about it, I have no problem with cancellation fees.

In no way was I inferring that there was anything dishonest about a published cancellation fee. The point I was trying to make is that in business, most things are negotiable.

It's no secret that competition can be fierce, and I suggest that many agencies will "eat" the cancellation fee, or offer the equivalent credit towards a future cruise, rather than watch a customer walk out the door and into the arms of their competitor.:cool:

Archived