Military Discount - Astounding info told by NCL

flashdog_1

I just received a sort of confirmation from my travel agent. It says he spoke to a supervisor again, this one named Ann, who said to bring the DD214 and my marriage license to the pier and I'd get the same rates I've paid. No last name for the agent. I guess I'd better copy the first email where he said the supervisor was of "groups."

I'd still love to know if anyone else was told she was still getting the discount when their veteran husband cancelled his slot for the cruise, and a substitute was added.

What am I saying is everyone does NOT get the fare, as I did not and my husband did on our booking. I had even called during a couple of sales after I booked to have things run again and see what would be a better deal, the military on him and our timeshare discount, or the sales that were available (sales wouldn't use the military as well) and always got the same answer - the discount is only for him, not for me. We actually have two seperate rates.

The only explanations I can come up with is that 1) the military discount was not combinable with the timeshare discount for some strange reason or 2) you were cruising with children or others in 2 cabins, and one of you was booked in one cabin and the other spouse was booked in another cabin (as someone above stated was the case with her. Only one military or senior or union discount per individual per cruise. Now if both of you were seniors you'd both get a discount (two different individuals) for each cabin even if you had other non-seniors in the cabins if you made sure one senior was booked on paper in each cabin.

My husband just brought up an interesting proposition. I kept my first husband's last name when I married him, my 2nd husband. My first husband died. He was a Marine and I have his DD214 and death certificate, and our names match so no marriage certificate would be required I guess. My current husband said I'd qualify as a widow for a cruise with 1st husband's DD214. ha I said, "but I'm not a widow anymore since I married you."

Is the Military discount applied the same as the Union discount? I book directly with a PCC and I've always had to email proof of membership (and sometimes faxed) in order to get the rate. Always told to take proof to checkin, but again, was never asked.

Once the rate is applied, will they ever bother you about it again?

The only explanations I can come up with is that 1) the military discount was not combinable with the timeshare discount for some strange reason or 2) you were cruising with children or others in 2 cabins, and one of you was booked in one cabin and the other spouse was booked in another cabin (as someone above stated was the case with her. Only one military or senior or union discount per individual per cruise. Now if both of you were seniors you'd both get a discount (two different individuals) for each cabin even if you had other non-seniors in the cabins if you made sure one senior was booked on paper in each cabin.

We are in the same cabin and only booked one cabin. It is combinable with the timeshare discount/special pricing, because we both got that pricing, and my husband's fare was reduced by the military discount. We booked in June or so of last year - did you get the discount for everyone prior to that? Perhaps NCL changed the rules for the discount? I'd just be very surprised if both NCL and my TA failed to give both of us the discount if we should have both gotten it, but if I should have gotten it, I'd like to try to get it addressed - although since we are past final payment, don't know if they would do anything anyway.

If I am reading you correctly, in the past you were able to cruise without your military husband and got the discount, but something changed later.

Is your husband alive or are you a widow, is he active military, or a retired vet or retired military on a military pension or what?

What I do not understand is the expression "they dunne me with it after they changed the wording." Does this mean you now DO NOT get his military discount unless he is sailing with you?

Please, those of you who are kind enough to take the time to respond to my query, state exactly what your situation is in relation to the military spouse who is NOT sailing with you, and if you had smooth sailing at the pier, or a problem. Thanks.

I got his MIL disc., he rtd Navy, and is Currently alive as an airline pilot. .he wasnt going w/me...for 3 cruzes..then i booked 2 more, w/ disc..but they caught the "error"..but it didnt say.."DD214 holder must be on cruze" when TA booked the prev ones..so they changed the wording in the rules. They contacted my TA, and said I must pay the diff of the "no longer allowed disc.", that DH , holder of DD214 must be with me. So they "dunned my reservation with the extra $$.Guess I made precidence to the rules...that was in '06, and has NO bearing on todays rules, so what possible diff couold it make now..rules change moment to moment. I only had to fax copy TA, and CCL proof, as I do now,his Airline pilots/emplloyer ID card each time I book..a dollar is a dollar..even if it is only one..and I get it.

We are in the same cabin and only booked one cabin. It is combinable with the timeshare discount/special pricing, because we both got that pricing, and my husband's fare was reduced by the military discount. We booked in June or so of last year - did you get the discount for everyone prior to that? Perhaps NCL changed the rules for the discount? I'd just be very surprised if both NCL and my TA failed to give both of us the discount if we should have both gotten it, but if I should have gotten it, I'd like to try to get it addressed - although since we are past final payment, don't know if they would do anything anyway.

I realize you are using a travel agent, but you could call NCL without identifying yourself or disclosing that you already have a booking, and just ASK if both people in a cabin will get the military, senior, union, latitudes, regional etc. discount. If they say yes, then contact your TA and see if he/she can get you some on board credit for the difference. Good luck!

I got his MIL disc., he rtd Navy, and is Currently alive as an airline pilot. .he wasnt going w/me...for 3 cruzes..then i booked 2 more, w/ disc..but they caught the "error"..but it didnt say.."DD214 holder must be on cruze" when TA booked the prev ones..so they changed the wording in the rules. They contacted my TA, and said I must pay the diff of the "no longer allowed disc.", that DH , holder of DD214 must be with me. So they "dunned my reservation with the extra $$.Guess I made precidence to the rules...that was in '06, and has NO bearing on todays rules, so what possible diff couold it make now..rules change moment to moment. I only had to fax copy TA, and CCL proof, as I do now,his Airline pilots/emplloyer ID card each time I book..a dollar is a dollar..even if it is only one..and I get it.

AFter I told you I didn't understand "dunned" my husband told me it meant that they made you pay up! If you don't mind my asking, what kind of charge did they require for you to board (and what kind of cabin did you have. We have a balcony)?

I can't believe I'm not going to be questioned at the pier, but I have my email with the NCL supervisor's name who said just to bring my marriage certificate and his DD214, so we'll see.

Is the Military discount applied the same as the Union discount? I book directly with a PCC and I've always had to email proof of membership (and sometimes faxed) in order to get the rate. Always told to take proof to checkin, but again, was never asked.

Once the rate is applied, will they ever bother you about it again?

No, I don't think they'll bother you about the discount again.

Yes, the military & union discounts are handled the same as far as I know. And neither is offered on every single cruise. I did fax them my DH's DD214 but of course he will not be with me, so what good is it at the pier, really. All I have is the statement from two NCL agents who spoke with my travel agent. This was to have been our first time using the mil discount, so any of it will be news to me, but I'll have the paperwork.

AFter I told you I didn't understand "dunned" my husband told me it meant that they made you pay up! If you don't mind my asking, what kind of charge did they require for you to board (and what kind of cabin did you have. We have a balcony)?

I can't believe I'm not going to be questioned at the pier, but I have my email with the NCL supervisor's name who said just to bring my marriage certificate and his DD214, so we'll see.

No one questioned me anywhere..as the discount was made thru my TA..CCL didnt know from JACK what I paid..I wasnt "CHARGED" anything..just had to pay the diff from a mil disc to a non mil discount, as cruzes are paid in full b4 debark. I paid single supp, rate and my present disc/interline rate offsets this for me now. After almost 30 cruzes, since Fall '06..and diff cabins/ships, I dont remember . I do love an outside BIG pic window tho' Hope this satisfies your queries.

Isn't a spouse of a widow dead? :D

That's hysterical, good catch!! LOL

Flashdog, I'm just butting in here...can you call the TA and ask her to recalculate the cost w/o the mil disc, just recalculate it, so you know what you are in for in case they deny the discounted rate? As previously mentioned, you won't be charged on the spot, as it will go to the credit card. If your TA insists you are all set, run with it, just take all your documents with you, including her email, and smile :)! What are you thinking you SHOULD do? Have the discount absolutely removed before you sail? I wouldn't, as long as you know the extra charge (and, or course, can absorb it in case it happens). Just wondering. Trust me, cost is always a factor with me. Would you need to change to an OV vs BAL if the discount is possibly denied? If so, then I understand your concern. Otherwise, like I said, go for it...;)

Yes, on the same sailing in the same cabin, everyone gets the discount. It's just like the senior discount. Only one person has to be a senior for the whole cabin to get the discount.

Please, if anyone who is the spouse of a live veteran, not on active duty, has cruised without the military person, did you get the discount?

Again, this will not be the answer you are looking for, but as was suggested a couple times, if it ends up that you are questioned about this and need to make an adjustment to your fare there should not be any reason to be embarrassed. When you check in you will be standing there all by your self with whoever checks you in with enough space between you and the next person being checked in at the counter next to you that nobody will be able to hear what is being said between you and whoever checks you in. Everyone else behind you will be behind some yellow/red line waiting and can't hear your conversation neither. We've received the discount before and nothing was requested to be presented at check in. I do understand the point at the check in but again nobody will hear anything.

Isn't a spouse of a widow dead? :D

LOL what a funny slip of the fingers! The first spouse of a widow is indeed the dead one, but my husband is the spouse of a former widow who is alive (both he and I at last count).

"No one questioned me anywhere..as the discount was made thru my TA..CCL didnt know from JACK what I paid..I wasnt "CHARGED" anything..just had to pay the diff from a mil disc to a non mil discount, as cruzes are paid in full b4 debark." Luckycruiser

Aha! So there was no embarrasment at the pier. It was all done beforehand!!! yea! Thanks! That's probably what the NCL supervisor was hinting at, that they weren't going to bother with it at the pier.

"Flashdog, I'm just butting in here...can you call the TA and ask her to recalculate the cost w/o the mil disc, just recalculate it, so you know what you are in for in case they deny the discounted rate? As previously mentioned, you won't be charged on the spot, as it will go to the credit card. If your TA insists you are all set, run with it, just take all your documents with you, including her email, and smile ! What are you thinking you SHOULD do? Have the discount absolutely removed before you sail? I wouldn't, as long as you know the extra charge (and, or course, can absorb it in case it happens). Just wondering. Trust me, cost is always a factor with me. Would you need to change to an OV vs BAL if the discount is possibly denied? If so, then I understand your concern. Otherwise, like I said, go for it..." Valchie

You're not butting in at all. This is what these forums are for, some banter and some facts and some speculation.

I did ask the TA to recalculate, but he is just positive I won't have trouble at the pier & I don't think he wants to bother to do so. I told him his good attitude won't help me if they do do an add on. I have told my daughter and our other travel mate of the possibility of an add on. We will not have to go to an ocean view. We got a wonderful rate by booking a year and half ahead, with OBC, latitudes discount & a $99 fare for the 3rd pax. & got our choice of stern balconies we were so early So we are in great shape. The upcharge, if it happens won't be more than the DSC at that.

I had originally thought "if no one will recalculate this for me, and NCL tells me I will still get it (despite what their website says on the subject), if I got checked in without their asking for my paper work I'd be home free, but as someone stated, it would be an on board charge if someone on the ship for whatever reason checks! ha

Someone told me once on another thread that one time he had his agent or PCC calculate his fare with and without the Military discount and it was actually lower without!

Someone told me once on another thread that one time he had his agent or PCC calculate his fare with and without the Military discount and it was actually lower without!

You can check this yourself at http://www.ncl.com by checking the price with and without PGMIL. Quite often when NCL is running specials (especially free upgrades) they will be less than the military rate.

Archived