Military Discount - Astounding info told by NCL

flashdog_1

At least it was astounding to me.

I've read those rules forward and backward and upsidedown trying to figure out if what my travel agent was told could be right.

I appeal to some of you veterans who may have ever backed out of a booked cruise.

Here's the deal. I booked cruise passage for my husband, me and my daughter. My DH is a veteran. I faxed the DD214 in. Got the discount. The notice said to bring the paper work to the pier.

Now DH says he doesn't want to go. So I contacted my cruise travel agent and asked him to recalculate the fare since we're no longer entitled for the discount.

He replied the next day saying he'd contacted NCL who said "the spouse of an active member of the military who is overseas may get the discount." Not applicable! He's right here in the house, neither active nor overseas.

I emailed him again that he's not active at 73, and to please ask NCL again.

Later he called to tell me he had spoken to a supervisor of "groups" who said I merely had to have Jim's DD214 and a copy of my marriage license to prove my connection (our names are different). Sounded like great news, but I just knew it couldn't be true or I'd have heard it on cruisecritic.com.

So I went to NCL's website and got this:

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=VeteransAdvantage

It clearly says the spouse of a widow is eligible. duh. He's sitting in the next room. But they didn't say I'd need a death certificate, only my marriage papers, so maybe they understand he's alive. It also clearly says the spouse of active duty personnel get the discount. Hey, he served 3 years in Vietnam and some years in the reserves. That's it. He's not even retired military. He's just retired. No military pension. No membership in Veteran's Advantage. Just a plain old 'Nam vet.

I do NOT want to get to the pier and be embarrassed in front of my daughter and Jim's replacement cruiser (who I am fortunate enough to have been able to find, so that the fare will still be split 3 ways), although if NCL persists in this information, I'll tell them there's a chance we'll have to fork over the difference. I've asked for him to get it in writing.

Has any spouse of a living veteran been able to get this discount? Thanks

Your husband is in fact a veteran. He served during a conflict and was honorably discharged. Generally one of the cruisers must be a veteran or a military dependent to qualify for the discount. I booked with NCL for a December cruise and received the military discount. I believe NCL has one of the most generous military discount programs out there. I would make sure the travel agent gave me written documentation of the requirements for your situation as well as e-mail NCL. Armed with these and your paperwork, it should be smooth sailing for you.

Hope this helps!!

Thanks for the fast replies! So you're both saying that your spouse is a veteran and you got the discount when sailing WITHOUT the military person? if so, wonderful!

I feel foolish for not having asked for the military discount on any of our prior cruises! This was our first military discount booking.

I am NOT a military dependent.

I can also confirm that I was not asked for any documentation at the pier.

Actually Carnival has been the most generous for the Veteran. Every other cruiseline you had to be either active or retired. It has only been within the past two years that NCL started offering discounts to Veterans. I still dont like their policy of reducing the discount the closer you get to the sailing.

Dave

It's not the paper work I'm worried about, it's the entitlement or not. We know NCL and Carnival give the discount to active and vets. But I'm the spouse of a vet who is NOT traveling with me and I want to know if I am actually entitled to this discount. According to the link I posted above it does not appear to me that I am. I want to hear if anyone books without the military vet and gets the discount he is entitled to. Thanks.

in '06..thru an online TA..DH not in tow..got the discount..booked my 3rd w/ disc..and they dunne me with it after they changed the wording..but now I get his pilot/comm'l interline rate..so..thatz good..I dont have to have him with that tho.

For what it is worth- I am a veteran, DW is not. We are both sailing on the Sky next Monday. I booked two cabins, I am in one with some of the kids, she is in the other with the remainder. When I booked I was told she was not eligible for the discount. So we have one cabin with the discount, one without. It did not sound to me like she would be eligible if only she booked.

That being said I would take the paperwork with me and not say a word when I checked in. If they asked for paperwork I would provide it without explaination. If they said you aren't eligible for the discount smile and say I tried to tell them that and pay the difference. My guess is they won't make an adjustment.

I can also confirm that I was not asked for any documentation at the pier.

Actually Carnival has been the most generous for the Veteran. Every other cruiseline you had to be either active or retired. It has only been within the past two years that NCL started offering discounts to Veterans. I still dont like their policy of reducing the discount the closer you get to the sailing.

Dave

I know you said you are not a member of Veteran's Advantage, but do you qualify to join? If so, then you qualify for the discount.

On a related note, I would love to hear if anyone that is a member of Veteran's Advantage ever made a claim against their included with membership travel insurance. I am eligible for the military discount without it but wonder if the travel insurance would make it worthwhile joining.

in '06..thru an online TA..DH not in tow..got the discount..booked my 3rd w/ disc..and they dunne me with it after they changed the wording..but now I get his pilot/comm'l interline rate..so..thatz good..I dont have to have him with that tho.

If I am reading you correctly, in the past you were able to cruise without your military husband and got the discount, but something changed later.

Is your husband alive or are you a widow, is he active military, or a retired vet or retired military on a military pension or what?

What I do not understand is the expression "they dunne me with it after they changed the wording." Does this mean you now DO NOT get his military discount unless he is sailing with you?

Please, those of you who are kind enough to take the time to respond to my query, state exactly what your situation is in relation to the military spouse who is NOT sailing with you, and if you had smooth sailing at the pier, or a problem. Thanks.

I know you said you are not a member of Veteran's Advantage, but do you qualify to join? If so, then you qualify for the discount.

It is only my husband who is eligible to join Veteran's Advantage. I have never been in the military and am not eligible to join. If there are some spousal benefits for those of you who belong, great. But I am traveling without my husband, and do not feel entitled to the discount unless as Sparks 1093 told me, I luck out. since my DH's name is not on the reservation, I think that will wave a red flag (unless they assume he is deceased, in which case they could surely ask for his death certificate which I of course do not have, since he's alive.

Do you all get it? I am not trying to get the discount. I had the discount because my DH was originally booked. Now he is backing out and I am trying to do the right thing. And I'm trying to do the right thing not only for ethical reasons but because I do not want to be embarrassed at the pier when they discover I am not entitled to it, if, as it becomes clearer and clearer, I am NOt.

This is all news to me. I am active duty, over 17 years now (Iraq, Afghanistan, Kosovo, etc...) and I was told there was NO military discount for the two cruises I have booked with NCL through a TA. Maybe I need to re-engage...

This is all news to me. I am active duty, over 17 years now (Iraq, Afghanistan, Kosovo, etc...) and I was told there was NO military discount for the two cruises I have booked with NCL through a TA. Maybe I need to re-engage...

These fares are not available on all sailings. But it's sure worth a call to find out! Just like us, we've taken 3 NCL cruises and this 4th is the first one we've known about a military discount. Good luck

It is only my husband who is eligible to join Veteran's Advantage. I have never been in the military and am not eligible to join. If there are some spousal benefits for those of you who belong, great. But I am traveling without my husband, and do not feel entitled to the discount unless as Sparks 1093 told me, I luck out. since my DH's name is not on the reservation, I think that will wave a red flag (unless they assume he is deceased, in which case they could surely ask for his death certificate which I of course do not have, since he's alive.

Do you all get it? I am not trying to get the discount. I had the discount because my DH was originally booked. Now he is backing out and I am trying to do the right thing. And I'm trying to do the right thing not only for ethical reasons but because I do not want to be embarrassed at the pier when they discover I am not entitled to it, if, as it becomes clearer and clearer, I am NOt.

Actually you are eligible to join, or your husband could join and get 2 additional family memberships free. See extracts from their website below. If you choose to join Veteran's Advantage you will have your ID you need to qualify on your own. HTHs

Copy and pasted from their website:

The Veterans Advantage Card Benefits Program has been created to provide greater recognition, respect, and rewards for all who have served in the U.S. Military, including Veterans, Active Duty Military, National Guard and Reserves, and their family members. You qualify from any branch of service and rank, period of service, or length of service.

As soon as you enroll, you will receive your Veterans Advantage Card, personalized with your name and branch of service, and be eligible for special offers from top corporations who wish to honor and thank you for your service. We make all efforts to let you know your benefits exist, too -- online, direct to your mailbox, and through our toll-free member support hotline.

At Veterans Advantage, we believe when one family member serves, the whole family serves. Family members who are "next of kin" may enroll as the spouse, mother, father, daughter or son of the Veteran or Serviceperson and are eligible for special benefits too.

Special -- Add two family members for FREE: Enroll today, and you can also add two of your family members for FREE on their first year! (that's just a total $59.95 + $4.95 processing, applied at checkout, for all three memberships)

25% Discount:

As a thank you for visiting veteransadvantage.com, we are currently offering 25% off your first year’s Veterans Advantage membership through this special online link. Get your 25% Discount with your first year's membership today.

Special -- Add two family members for FREE: Enroll today, and you can also add two of your family members for FREE on their first year! (that's just a total $59.95 + $4.95 processing, applied at checkout, for all three memberships)

It bothers me that they charge for the card at all.

But we are not members, and do not plan to join. There is a clause for automatic renewal and we don't want to get stuck with that, just for the occasional NCL cruise.

Veterans who do not belong to Military Advantage may get the NCL military fare.

AGain, my question is if I am entitled to a reduced fare when I have never been military and my veteran husband is NOt traveling with me. Doesn't seem right to me for me to get it. I'm waiting for someone to tell me they always get it, and still are getting it, if so.

Only one person out of the so far 346 people who have read the thread have said they were only able to get the discount on the cabin containing a military person. In their case, the spouse was also traveling, and they had two cabins, and she was not eligible. I'm assuming I fall into the same group as that spouse whose husband was not booked in the same cabin.

I am waiting for luckycruiser to come back to tell me what happened after having booked 3 cruises with the discount that she no longer gets it.

We're finding out lots of nice facts, but please address my eligibility question for a person not in Veteran's Advantage who has a living husband vet who is not going on the cruise. Thanks

your are elegible--they have never asked for verification at the pier--I book all my cruises with the military discount

BG

My husband is a veteran, and we used the discount on his fare, but it was not appkied to my fare. You are saying as the spouse you got the discount as well? :confused:

My husband is a veteran, and we used the discount on his fare, but it was not appkied to my fare. You are saying as the spouse you got the discount as well? :confused:

Yes, on the same sailing in the same cabin, everyone gets the discount. It's just like the senior discount. Only one person has to be a senior for the whole cabin to get the discount.

Please, if anyone who is the spouse of a live veteran, not on active duty, has cruised without the military person, did you get the discount?

But we are not members, and do not plan to join. There is a clause for automatic renewal and we don't want to get stuck with that, just for the occasional NCL cruise.

Veterans who do not belong to Military Advantage may get the NCL military fare.

AGain, my question is if I am entitled to a reduced fare when I have never been military and my veteran husband is NOt traveling with me. Doesn't seem right to me for me to get it. I'm waiting for someone to tell me they always get it, and still are getting it, if so.

Only one person out of the so far 346 people who have read the thread have said they were only able to get the discount on the cabin containing a military person. In their case, the spouse was also traveling, and they had two cabins, and she was not eligible. I'm assuming I fall into the same group as that spouse whose husband was not booked in the same cabin.

I am waiting for luckycruiser to come back to tell me what happened after having booked 3 cruises with the discount that she no longer gets it.

We're finding out lots of nice facts, but please address my eligibility question for a person not in Veteran's Advantage who has a living husband vet who is not going on the cruise. Thanks

As stated on the NCL web site you are not. Since you refuse to get a veteran advantage card just move on--tell them to rebook and take away the discount.

BG

As stated on the NCL web site you are not. Since you refuse to get a veteran advantage card just move on--tell them to rebook and take away the discount.BG

Big Green, that is exactly what I did. I told my travel agent that my husband does not want to go, so to give me the new fare, because the wording did not include spouses as being able to get the discount (unless the military person is on active duty overseas).

He said the supervisor of "groups" at NCL told him that I am still eligible and they'll leave the fare alone, just bring my marriage license and his discharge papers. Perhaps the agent thought we were members of Veteran Advantage. Hard to determine when I'm not speaking directly with NCL, but thru a travel agent. I asked for written confirmation of this since it does not seem right to me.

Big Green, that is exactly what I did. I told my travel agent that my husband does not want to go, so to give me the new fare, because the wording did not include spouses as being able to get the discount (unless the military person is on active duty overseas).

He said the supervisor of "groups" at NCL told him that I am still eligible and they'll leave the fare alone, just bring my marriage license and his discharge papers. Perhaps the agent thought we were members of Veteran Advantage. Hard to determine when I'm not speaking directly with NCL, but thru a travel agent. I asked for written confirmation of this since it does not seem right to me.

Sounds good--move on--if you do not get written confirmation---call them back--no one on this board will give you a precise answer because NCL did change their web site like they said.I do know that I have never had someone ask for military papers when checking in.

BG

Yes, on the same sailing in the same cabin, everyone gets the discount. It's just like the senior discount. Only one person has to be a senior for the whole cabin to get the discount.

Please, if anyone who is the spouse of a live veteran, not on active duty, has cruised without the military person, did you get the discount?

What am I saying is everyone does NOT get the fare, as I did not and my husband did on our booking. I had even called during a couple of sales after I booked to have things run again and see what would be a better deal, the military on him and our timeshare discount, or the sales that were available (sales wouldn't use the military as well) and always got the same answer - the discount is only for him, not for me. We actually have two seperate rates.

Big Green is correct....on your own without joining Veterans Adv you are not eligible for the Military Discount. Since you have already asked them to refare your cabin and they told you they didn't need to and what they want you to bring with you for proof, you may have to call again to insist they charge you more...or just bring what they told you and if they refare you on the spot (which I sincerely doubt) you know you tried to have it cleared up before hand and don't be embarassed. It's not like they are going to announce to the world they raised your rate. I don't know of anyone that was actually asked for their proofs at the pier. I know we have never been asked on NCL or Carnival.

Archived