having a camera cleaned

You are talking DSLR? How often depends on how often you change lense and how dusty/dirty the enviroment is. It could be after one shooting or after a couple years, or never if you never change your lense. There is no hard and fast rule, if you don't see any dust bunnies or dark spots when shooting say a uniform sky or clear background you are likely good. I have gone a year and half and almost 20,000 shots with probably 5-10 lense changes a month okay.

If you are mechnicalligy inclined it is something you can do at home. Google "cleaning your dslr sensor." This is another good video: http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2010.04.02/how-to-clean-a-camera-sensor

If you are talking point and shoot not much maintenance is required beyond keeping it dry and dust free for all moving exterior parts.

When you take a camera to have it cleaned what exactly do they do? How often should you have this done? Is it really necessary?

Thanks in advance everyone. I really appreciate all the help given on these threads!

If you plan on cleaning your own, spend the $100-$150 to get the right tools. (Q-tips and rubbing alcohol on the sensor is the fast path to a new camera!)

With a filtered air blower (Giottos Rocket or similar) and a Visible Dust Arctic Butterfly self charging static brush, you can perform 99% of all the sensor cleaning you'll ever need to do.

As long as you are careful, there is little risk.

Dave

If you plan on cleaning your own, spend the $100-$150 to get the right tools. (Q-tips and rubbing alcohol on the sensor is the fast path to a new camera!)

With a filtered air blower (Giottos Rocket or similar) and a Visible Dust Arctic Butterfly self charging static brush, you can perform 99% of all the sensor cleaning you'll ever need to do.

As long as you are careful, there is little risk.

Dave

After watching the video I don't think this is a task I should tackle. This is best left to the experts!

Actually...I would recommend you at least give stage 1 a chance on your own - it's relatively inexpensive, very easy, and can often solve 80% of your cleaning needs. I break cleaning sensors down to 3 stages:

1. Bulb blower - get one with a filter, as Dave mentioned. This is the easiest step for you which requires no special lessons or mechanical aptitude. Simply enter cleaning mode, hold the camera opening-facing-down, insert the blower stem in the opening without touching the sensor, and give a few nice squeezes, delaying a few seconds between each for any dust knocked loose to settle out of the camera. Often this works 80% of the time or more.

2. Sensor brush. This is the next step, for when the bulb blower doesn't seem to want to get some bits of dust. These can range from nice wooden-handled brushes to complex spinning mechanized brush systems. Dave's recommendation is a good one, though honestly for me I have used a less expensive alternative for years and have had great success. Mine is a $14 German-made sensor brush, non-mechanical. It charges statically by waving it around before use. Cheap, super-soft, and effective. This will work for another 15% of the time - I'd say 95% of the time total, either the bulb blower or sensor brush will handle the problem. Using it is a matter of just gently sweeping it (no pressure) across the sensor plate in the same direction, one sweep at a time using opposite sides of the brush. Still not much skill involved, and all told you've spent around $40 for cleaning materials you can use for years.

3. Wet swab - the final stage, and most complex. For that last stubborn 5% of the time when you just can't get some dust off the sensor. Still not too hard, but it scares some folks...so if you don't want to go to this stage, you can resort to having it cleaned. Using the more sensitive E2 fluid and either a dual sided swab or two separate swabs, you wet one side (or one swab), leaving the other side dry (or a second dry swab). You just stroke evenly across the sensor plate with the wet side, one time, then follow it by the dry swab, in the same direction.

My total investment in cleaning materials was approx. $60, and I've been using the same tools for 3 years now...always cleaning my own sensors on two bodies.

BTW - if you ever want to know if it's time to clean the sensor...all you have to do is set your camera to A priority mode, set the aperture as small as it will go, and in good light aim the camera at a nice blank piece of sky, or uniformly light colored wall. Snap a pic. The small aperture will reveal any dust you've got on the sensor - even if you thought you didn't have any!

BTW - if you ever want to know if it's time to clean the sensor...all you have to do is set your camera to A priority mode, set the aperture as small as it will go, and in good light aim the camera at a nice blank piece of sky, or uniformly light colored wall. Snap a pic. The small aperture will reveal any dust you've got on the sensor - even if you thought you didn't have any!

I recently picked up the pinhole optic for my Lensbaby. At f/177, the pinhole highlights dust on the sensor like an electron microscope! :eek::eek:

I may never take a lot of pinhole photos, but it's nearly as good as the Sensor Loupe for finding those pesky specks!

Dave

I recently picked up the pinhole optic for my Lensbaby. At f/177, the pinhole highlights dust on the sensor like an electron microscope! :eek::eek:

I may never take a lot of pinhole photos, but it's nearly as good as the Sensor Loupe for finding those pesky specks!

Dave

I can imagine...you could probably make out the fibers on the dust specks at F177!

• 1 month later...
After watching the video I don't think this is a task I should tackle. This is best left to the experts!

I'm withwernew2cruising on this one as I have a slight hand tremor due to my thyroid medication & after watching that video there's no way in heck I would risk cleaning my Olympus E-420 myself. I really want to get my sensor checked out before we leave for our Alaska cruise in September as I do change lenses quite often when I'm out @ the zoo or out & about on the weekends.

I take my D3 to the local Nikon authorized dealer. $45, I get the camera back in less than a week. Will never attempt to do this myself.

I now have a D700 that does self-cleaning but probably won't get deep-down particles.

Archived