Manhattan Hotel Question

ieatchickens

We will be arriving in NYC on June 4th and plan on spending 2 nights in Manhattan pre-cruise. We are planning to see a Broadway play but can't find a good deal on a hotel in the Times Square area.

My question is how safe is it to travel from Times Square to Chelsea/Madison Square Gardens around midnight? Walk, cab or subway?

There are some great hotel deals (for Manhattan anyway) in the Chelsea/Madison Square Garden area and I am thinking about booking in this area vs Times Square or Midtown West.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Chelsea/Madison Square Garden would be just fine. Walking, cab, or subway would be fine too, but.... the reality is that you are from Bismark ND, so I'd guess that walking or the subway is not going to be in your comfort zone later in the evening. Take a cab - it will be a short ride.

What hotels are you looking at? Are you bidding on Priceline or Hotwire? If so, you should be looking at at least a 3* hotel in NYC.

Looking at both 3* and some 2* hotels in Times Square, Midtown West and Chelsea-MSG area. My guess is the 3* might be the Holiday Inn west since that is the farthest from TS.

There will be 2 adult women and 2 teenage girls attending one of the Broadway shows so the trip back to the hotel around midnight is a concern. The men are taking in a Mets game and have no problem with the subway. I have heard the the subways are safe in most areas of Manhattan but out of towners tend to avoid them late at night.

Midtown NY is very safe. However, it's still the city and you have to be aware of your surroundings. I wouldn't worry about returning to a hotel at midnight. There are still tons of people out and about, particularly on a June evening. If you don't want to take a cab, I would take walking over the subway.

I looked on Hotwire (you are doing Hotwire with all your people?) and the 3* with breakfast, fitness, internet, and business for $189 could be the Holiday Inn Express, which is in a great location on 29th St between 7th & 8th.

Using Hotwire for all 8 of us.

I was hoping to get 2 rooms with quad occupancy but I am finding out it doesn't save that much money compared to booking 4 rooms double occupancy. Manhattan is really weird, 3* hotels are a less expensive than 2* :confused:

Midtown NY is very safe. However, it's still the city and you have to be aware of your surroundings. I wouldn't worry about returning to a hotel at midnight. There are still tons of people out and about, particularly on a June evening. If you don't want to take a cab, I would take walking over the subway.

I looked on Hotwire (you are doing Hotwire with all your people?) and the 3* with breakfast, fitness, internet, and business for $189 could be the Holiday Inn Express, which is in a great location on 29th St between 7th & 8th.

As someone who was born in Manhattan, raised in New York City, and a resident of the NY Metropolitan Area for my entire life...more than 6 decades...while I agree Midtown NY is very safe, I do not agree that it is a good idea for female tourists to walk from the Times Square area to the Chelsea area at midnight.

Very simply, on that walk you will encounter streets that will not be populated with lots of people at that hour because they are in zones that are primarily commercial rather than residential or tourist oriented, and these blocks may be quite deserted at that time of night. The subway or a taxi are far better alternatives IMO...particularly a taxi.

What do you consider a good rate? I have personally stayed at the Comfort Inn Midtown (there are many Comfort Inns, I can only personally vouch for this one) that is half a block off of Times Square, PERFECT location for the theater, and I think I saw slightly less than $200 per night for your dates (even less if you have AAA or AARP). Clean rooms, very small rooms, but a great location.

Thanks for the Comfort Inn suggestion. Great location but this property does not allow more than 2 per room. Traveling with teens and I would have to book 4 rooms. I can get a 3* for less that will allow me to exceed double occupancy.

Problem is these 3* hotels are in Chelsea/MSG area and Midtown West (probably the Holiday Inn on 57th)

Just an update. Found a good deal on the Holiday Inn Express Times Square for only $180/night. Not bad for quad occupancy and only 3 blocks from Times Square.

Just a quick walk up the busy 8th ave and then over to TS. I feel better knowing the women can walk back to the hotel at night on 8th ave. I will also sleep better knowing the njhorseman is sleeping better. :D

Archived