arcadia for yanks

sfgent

just returned home from a three week cruise from SF to Sydney on the arcadia. The ship is beautiful and well furnished and it ends there. The food is absolutely not to American tastes. All vegetables overcooked, fatty meats and lots of curries. No idea that any other type of food is international other than Indian. Buffet crew are untrained and just plain not willing to help because of absence of tipping to any degree by the British travelers. Would urge those considering this ship to think twice before they embark. Library mediocre and constant "nickle and diming" for everything. Quite disorganized on shore days and late in arriving , departing without time for people to visit sites, etc. for example on this cruise only US stop was san fran and then only gave passengers five hours for all of their visit. Christmas Island took six hours to disembark passengers and was not worth the stop. Never got to Western Samoa at all.. Suppose someone enjoyed it, but not anyone I met on board.

just returned home from a three week cruise from SF to Sydney on the arcadia. The ship is beautiful and well furnished and it ends there. The food is absolutely not to American tastes. All vegetables overcooked, fatty meats and lots of curries. No idea that any other type of food is international other than Indian. Buffet crew are untrained and just plain not willing to help because of absence of tipping to any degree by the British travelers. Would urge those considering this ship to think twice before they embark. Library mediocre and constant "nickle and diming" for everything. Quite disorganized on shore days and late in arriving , departing without time for people to visit sites, etc. for example on this cruise only US stop was san fran and then only gave passengers five hours for all of their visit. Christmas Island took six hours to disembark passengers and was not worth the stop. Never got to Western Samoa at all.. Suppose someone enjoyed it, but not anyone I met on board.

:eek::confused::confused:

WOW, why did you book a UK ship if you only wanted an American cruise experience?

Surely there were good points on your cruise and not only bad points?

Maybe next time you should just stick with American cruiselines. There are lots to choose from that might cater to your tastes a bit more.

As to the food, we just spent 16 days on the Coral and the food is not what we are used to (very different in fact, very fatty, over cooked and hardly any vegetables) but we ate it and everything else overshadowed that very minor point. We met wonderful people from all over the world, even made some wonderful Pommie friends (hello Jim if you are reading this) I always thought you travelled to experience other cultures. Did you miss Samoa because of the weather? That is hardly the ships fault. You would have known the itinerary and the length of stay before you booked the cruise. Why complain now.....?

You have left yourself wideopen for some nasty comments on this board regarding your tipping statement. I hope you have your flak jacket on! I will leave all the comments about that to the Pomms who undoubtedly will have quite a bit to say about it. :mad:

Over to you my English cousins............. :D

re curries:

I think you did little (or even no?) research on P&O.

P&O cruises are renowned for their curries!

I have sailed twice on Arcadia. I don't do curries and can assure you I was no where near starving - there are LOADS of alternatives. But curry lovers are in heaven

The Belvedere ss restaurant does special dinners nearly every night, when I was onboard there was a Mexican, Chinese, Indian Curry night, etc.

Our food tastes are different I hated your fatty streaky bacon and weak tea at breakfast on Celebrity, and the lack of vegetables offered at dinner with a mass of steak -way too much meat and not enough vegetables for Brit tastes...But it was a US ship - even though sailing from the UK, it was different, and I knew it would be.

Try Ocean Village. Everything is Five star, formal evenings every night, no asian food, all American food etc etc...oh you may want to read the brochure first....as i'm assuming you can't of done for P&O?

Our food tastes are different I hated your fatty streaky bacon and weak tea at breakfast on Celebrity, and the lack of vegetables offered at dinner with a mass of steak -way too much meat and not enough vegetables for Brit tastes...But it was a US ship - even though sailing from the UK, it was different, and I knew it would be.

And this was a two night taster? You are quick enough to criticise others who say that P&O is poor after two nights.

P&O food was not to this Briton's taste. Much for the reasons stated by the OP. It was awful - pure and simple. I like American bacon - my wife (British) cooks it - as well as English bacon. But I hope never to have another trip on P&O. We both felt we'd have been better staying at home.

The shore excursion we had from P&O was poorly organised too.

I like far more meat than vegetables too. Especially P&O vegetables. They put them on to cook when the ship leaves Southampton, and boil them the whole cruise.

You can not expect to get away with generalisations like "and constant "nickle and diming" for everything" and not be criticised.

Like others have said the ship is clearly catering for the UK cruiser. Which is why it is not widely advertised in the US.

Personally if I go to the US I do not expect for them to cater for my tastes. Is much more fun eating 'native'

As for tipping and level of service, well I have now been on 14 P&O cruises and can happily say I have never had any bad service.

Now that could be down to how you treat people and not just the fact that you could give a big tip.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Howay Dai

How can you you say "Gan Canny " with a Welsh name like Dai?

I think it says it all when an Aussie comes to the defence of Poms! thanks Eileen.

One of the reasons we cruise is to have new experiences and meet new people. When we first went to America we were surprised by the tipping culture and the size of the meals but you accept that this is their way and blend in. As for poor service for not tipping, perhaps the OP's miserable attitude might give him more of a clue for that.

After he tries Ocean Village I suggest he moves on to Costa. The food is very American the Italians are very calm and polite and the organisation is superb. Even so we still enjoyed the cruise.

Jim.

After he tries Ocean Village I suggest he moves on to Costa. The food is very American the Italians are very calm and polite and the organisation is superb. Even so we still enjoyed the cruise.

Jim.

:D

Italians are calm and polite......love it !

Howay Dai

How can you you say "Gan Canny " with a Welsh name like Dai?

I think it says it all when an Aussie comes to the defence of Poms! thanks Eileen.

One of the reasons we cruise is to have new experiences and meet new people. When we first went to America we were surprised by the tipping culture and the size of the meals but you accept that this is their way and blend in. As for poor service for not tipping, perhaps the OP's miserable attitude might give him more of a clue for that.

Jim.

Jim, Haway man wadye meen like. Ah was born in Newcastle and amm black and white throo and throo. Eh heve evorite to say Gan Canny. Mind you as ah was brought up in Newbiggin there might be a bit of Northumbrian or Pitmatic in there somewhere.

On the other hand ah did have a Welsh grandfather.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Gan Canny

Dai

Jim, Haway man wadye meen like. Ah was born in Newcastle and amm black and white throo and throo. Eh heve evorite to say Gan Canny. Mind you as ah was brought up in Newbiggin there might be a bit of Northumbrian or Pitmatic in there somewhere.

On the other hand ah did have a Welsh grandfather.

Gan Canny

Dai

Just put that in Google translate.....not recognised ;)

Just put that in Google translate.....not recognised ;)

Cos you need a 53.4% pitmatic 45% standard Geordie and 1.6% Northumbrian translator.

Come on Matty use the correct tools.

:):):)

:cool::cool:

Gan Canny

Dai

The food is absolutely not to American tastes. Why on earth would it be, it is a British ship and you should therefore accept they will serve food mainly aimed at British people. I can imagine you would complain in the Maldives or Seychelles because you couldn't find an all you can eat diner.

All vegetables overcooked, fatty meats and lots of curries. You really didn't do your research did you. If you had you would have known that the restaurant staff are mainly from India or Goa and they create a gorgeous dish with rice, it is known locally as a curry.

No idea that any other type of food is international other than Indian. I have no idea what this sentence means but I am guessing the 'Gent' is complaining that they did not server international food (burgers, chilli dogs, etc.). Try an international ship perhaps?

Buffet crew are untrained and just plain not willing to help because of absence of tipping to any degree by the British travelers. I did have to laugh at this one. I wonder why the poster found the staff to be untrained and unwilling when everyone else that has ever been on P&O knows this is what they are renowned for. You might well find things to complain about but commitment from the staff is not one of them. And what the heck has tipping got to do with it? This is a BRITISH ship, they expect to be tipped for a service thay have provided (past tense) not up front for one they might provide.

Would urge those considering this ship to think twice before they embark. I would urge anyone that is American AND miserable to reconsider too.

Library mediocre and constant "nickle and diming" for everything. Nickle and Diming? What does that mean, you have to pay for what you drink or for tours? Yeah, because that's a new concept isn't it?

Quite disorganized on shore days and late in arriving , departing without time for people to visit sites, etc. for example on this cruise only US stop was san fran and then only gave passengers five hours for all of their visit. Christmas Island took six hours to disembark passengers and was not worth the stop. Never got to Western Samoa at all.. Suppose someone enjoyed it, but not anyone I met on board. Can you provide us all with a list of your future cruises please, it would be most helpful to all of us here.

And finally, a big thank you to our Australian cousin for her support.

Cheers

Gerry

And finally, a big thank you to our Australian cousin for her support.

Cheers

Gerry

You are more than welcome.

The OP seems to be a member of the very small percentage that gives Americans a bad name. Shame.

And they call Poms whingers!:eek::eek::D (Or is that us? :D)

"re curries:

P&O cruises are renowned for their curries! "

"I have sailed twice on Arcadia. I don't do curries and can assure you I was no where near starving - there are LOADS of alternatives. But curry lovers are in heaven"

THANK YOU! You have just made my day - just booked back to back legs of 2 world cruises Brisbane to Southampton on Oriana and Southampton to Brisbane on Arcadia. I love curries and other Asian foods - I just wish I could get an invite to eat in the crew's mess.

Barry

It seems like that the gentleman booked on the wrong ship and was not too well informed.

My P&O days are a long time ago but as a Dutchman I really loved the food. For me it was very nice to dive into the British culture and enjoy it. As far as the food I really loved the desserts, like sticky toffee pudding, flan, bread and butter pudding and especially the curries for lunch! :D. I was also very happy to see roast beef and yorkshire pudding on the menu.

We had to share the cabin with a man from the US (the infamous friendly four) and this guy was bitching like hell and not very pleasant to have around. Some nationalities are just better in mixing and adapting than others are.

"re curries:

P&O cruises are renowned for their curries! "

"I have sailed twice on Arcadia. I don't do curries and can assure you I was no where near starving - there are LOADS of alternatives. But curry lovers are in heaven"

THANK YOU! You have just made my day - just booked back to back legs of 2 world cruises Brisbane to Southampton on Oriana and Southampton to Brisbane on Arcadia. I love curries and other Asian foods - I just wish I could get an invite to eat in the crew's mess.

Barry

Oh wow Barry!! I would love to do something like that - you don't even have to pay airfare! That has to be a bonus. When does the Oriana leave? I wish I was retired to be able to do these type of cruises.

Eileen

Oriana leaves Brisbane 15 November this year -- Whitsunday Islands, Cairns, Manila, Hong Kong, Ho Chi Minh city, Bangkok, Ko Samui, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur , Mumbai, Sharm el-Sheikh, Suez ,Port Said, Athens , Lisbon, Southampton.

19 days in UK at own leisure

Arcadia leaves Southampton 05 January 2001 - Azores, Barbados, Aruba, Panama Canal, Acapulco, San Francisco, Honolulu, Pago Pago, Port Denarau, Fiji, Auckland, Sydney.

The cruise from Oz to UK has been something that I have always wanted to do since I was a young'en. I never dreamed that I would ever be able to do it -- MUCH LESS both ways!!! :eek: But I have to admit that I have done a lot of things up until now that I would not have thought possible for me.

We are now "orphans of the Volcano " - supposed to fly out to UK for 7 weeks holiday last Wednesday. Cancelled the flight 3PM on Tuesday- only to wake up on Wednesday morning to find that they had moved the goalpoasts and UK airspace was open!!!:mad:

But as they say - one door shuts in your face and another one opens. Saw this deal on the Net a week later- $12000 AUD for the 2 cruises (interior cabins - somewhere in the steerage compartment :D) -- but I thought it was a DEAL compared with Dawn Princess offerings which were in excess of $11,000 each segment each person.

We are boggling a bit right now - from the financial aspect (as we are comfortable but not wealthy by any regard) - but also by the fact that the longest of our cruises around Oz was only 12 days to NZ!! :eek: Now we have 42 days in each direction!!

Barry

Eileen

Oriana leaves Brisbane 15 November this year -- Whitsunday Islands, Cairns, Manila, Hong Kong, Ho Chi Minh city, Bangkok, Ko Samui, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur , Mumbai, Sharm el-Sheikh, Suez ,Port Said, Athens , Lisbon, Southampton.

19 days in UK at own leisure

Arcadia leaves Southampton 05 January 2001 - Azores, Barbados, Aruba, Panama Canal, Acapulco, San Francisco, Honolulu, Pago Pago, Port Denarau, Fiji, Auckland, Sydney.

The cruise from Oz to UK has been something that I have always wanted to do since I was a young'en. I never dreamed that I would ever be able to do it -- MUCH LESS both ways!!! :eek: But I have to admit that I have done a lot of things up until now that I would not have thought possible for me.

We are now "orphans of the Volcano " - supposed to fly out to UK for 7 weeks holiday last Wednesday. Cancelled the flight 3PM on Tuesday- only to wake up on Wednesday morning to find that they had moved the goalpoasts and UK airspace was open!!!:mad:

But as they say - one door shuts in your face and another one opens. Saw this deal on the Net a week later- $12000 AUD for the 2 cruises (interior cabins - somewhere in the steerage compartment :D) -- but I thought it was a DEAL compared with Dawn Princess offerings which were in excess of $11,000 each segment each person.

We are boggling a bit right now - from the financial aspect (as we are comfortable but not wealthy by any regard) - but also by the fact that the longest of our cruises around Oz was only 12 days to NZ!! :eek: Now we have 42 days in each direction!!

Barry

You are both so lucky! I wish we were retired, we would join you both. Enjoy! :D

:eek::confused::confused:

As to the food' date=' we just spent 16 days on the Coral and the food is not what we are used to (very different in fact, very fatty, over cooked and hardly any vegetables) but we ate it and everything else overshadowed that very minor point. [/quote']

Hi B&C Mum,

Had to giggle at this part of your post, as I know how much you loved those pastries for breakfast every day! :D

Hi B&C Mum,

Had to giggle at this part of your post, as I know how much you loved those pastries for breakfast every day! :D

Ah, yes, the pastries. :eek: I still find it strange that they eat that sort of thing for breakfast LOL. I am glad it is not common practice in Oz or I would be the size of a house. :o:) (they were rather nice - shh)

Eileen

How much of Dai did you understand? Perhaps you should have listened to us more carefully on the Coral. When are you going to book a cruise to a real continent and learn to tark propa?

G'day

Jim.

G'day Jim,

How about this.......

"Hi man, what do you mean? I was born in Newcastle and am black and white through and through. I have every right to say "Gan Canny" (tread carefully). Mind you I was brought up in Newbiggin, there might be a bit of Northumbrian or Pitmatic (another dialect found in the north) in there somewhere. On the otherhand I did have a welsh grandfather."

You're still my china plate Jim!

P.S. Looking at 2012

FAO the orignal poster.

Try RCI if you have not already done so.

No curries, no veg. to speak of, no choice of menu, indifferent waiters and bullish, stroppy and money grabbing cabin stewards. Altogether a dreadful experience.

BUT, we didn't complain, it was a different company with different standards and ethos. We just won't tavel with them again.

Archived