A few questions from a lapsed HAL passenger

rafinmd

I have 2 cruises with HAL several years ago:

8/97 Rotterdam V, Alaska, 7-night with a 4-night cruise tour.

7/02 Zandaam, Alaska 4-night, booked with a 3rd party land tour.

I have always said I'd sail HAL again if the situation was right but haven't done so yet. I'm thinking that may change with a North Cape cruise in 2011 or 2012 (I'd like 2011 but my schedule is pretty full through then).

After logging into hollandamerica.com to look at the possibilities, my questions are:

I looked up my cruise history with my Mariner Society number and it came up 0 cruise day credits and "You do not have any Cruise History". Do cruise credits expire or were they probably never added to the record?

The FAQ says I need to submit my boarding pass, folio, or room key to update my record, and those are long since gone. Do you think it's hopeless to try to get those credis, and are the benefits of 7-15 cruise days worth pursuing?

When I went to the booking site to get an idea of HAL's price I was a bit puzzled by the results which looked something like this:

Booking fare: $5,183.50

Deposit due: $600

Final paymeng due $5,183.50 on Mar 29, 2011

It seems like there should be a $600 differnce between the first and last figures, and either the fare is 5,787 or the final payment should be 4,583.

Is this the way the HAL reservation system always works, and which figure is probably correct.

I'll appreciate any suggestions you have.

I have 2 cruises with HAL several years ago:

8/97 Rotterdam V, Alaska, 7-night with a 4-night cruise tour.

7/02 Zandaam, Alaska 4-night, booked with a 3rd party land tour.

After logging into hollandamerica.com to look at the possibilities, my questions are:

I looked up my cruise history with my Mariner Society number and it came up 0 cruise day credits and "You do not have any Cruise History". Do cruise credits expire or were they probably never added to the record?

I'll appreciate any suggestions you have.

I would call:

MARINER SOCIETY

(Questions regarding your Mariner status)

Phone: 1-800-547-9139

You can also contact then via email:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/marinerSociety/Main.action Select "contact us" found in the upper right corner, and then the via email tab..be sure to select Mariner/Alumni option from dropdown menu.

You can also call 1-877-932-4259, tell them about your issue regarding pricing and see what price they give you.

Laura

Since you've read the FAQs, I presume you've read the benefits of the one and two star levels. IMO they're "not worth pursuing" until the 3-star level, but 7 or 11 days does put you closer to 75. If you have an exact date for your two cruises the Mariner Society may be able to look them up and give you credit.

Yes, I agree that the final payment should be $4,583.

Seeing as you know the ship and dates you sailed, I think they can and will track your cruises and credit those days to you. By all means call and have the record corrected.

Days sailed never expire. We have some people here who tell of cruises they took as small children they have received credit for many years later as they had pertinent info that made confirmation of their memory of having cruised possible.

Seeing as you know the ship and dates you sailed, I think they can and will track your cruises and credit those days to you. By all means call and have the record corrected.

Days sailed never expire. We have some people here who tell of cruises they took as small children they have received credit for many years later as they had pertinent info that made confirmation of their memory of having cruised possible.

I contacted Mariner Society and they indicated I somehow got 2 Mariner numbers and they have merged the accounts and credited me with 16 days. Four day turnaround to correct an issue I didn't bring to their attention for 8 years. Not bad, especially with a response coming on a Sunday.

The Mariner people are great. My two HAL cruises were very long ago--1978 and 1982. I had credit for 1982, but not the first one. I could remember the ship, month, and year, and they found it and credited me. I think I got my answer 1 or 2 days after I sent the email (using the "contact me" page).

• 4 months later...

Now that I'm booked there are a couple more things. I looked at the online checkin, which HAL says do early. I'm sure I will fly, but don't have the details yet. I cannot proceed beyond that point without the information. If I say I am not flying, can I change my answer later, or should I wait until I know what I'll be doing?

According to the cruising CC'ers list, I'm the only one so far to book this cruise. I assume it would be pointless at this time to start a roll call. Is there a critical mass of bookings that generates an active roll call? Also, on some boards the OP on a roll call takes on certain responsibilities. Is that true here, and if so, what are the expectations for a roll call initiator?

Roy

Now that I'm booked there are a couple more things. I looked at the online checkin, which HAL says do early. I'm sure I will fly, but don't have the details yet. I cannot proceed beyond that point without the information. If I say I am not flying, can I change my answer later, or should I wait until I know what I'll be doing?

According to the cruising CC'ers list, I'm the only one so far to book this cruise. I assume it would be pointless at this time to start a roll call. Is there a critical mass of bookings that generates an active roll call? Also, on some boards the OP on a roll call takes on certain responsibilities. Is that true here, and if so, what are the expectations for a roll call initiator?

Roy

I have always filled out whatever I can as soon as I can, then added the rest later. If I didn't have my flight info to start with, I say "not flying", then have added it later. If I have any changes to the info between when I fill in my HAL questionnaire and sail date, I just go back in and edit it. I have changed flight info (it happens all the time), entered updated passport info (new one issued, next of kin info, etc.), and changed credit card billing info. I have never had a problem with it, and when I have arrived at the ship all the info has been correct and current.

As far as starting a roll call, many of them start 18 months or more before a cruise. They may be slow to get sign ups, or some of them get members right away. In my opinion, it is never too early to start. And just because you start the roll call does not mean you have to be in charge of setting up meet and greets, organize tours, or such. It's just a way to start some dialogue with other cruisers taking your same itinerary.

If others on the roll call decide they would like to take on some organization of events, etc., that will come out in the wash as the roll call develops. And just because no others show up as taking your same cruise, it doesn't mean they aren't out there. Many cruisers don't enter their next cruise info until closer to their cruise date, but are eager to find info from others who have. Some of us are a little bit hesitant to share that info until someone else takes the first step.

I suggest you start a roll call and see where it goes from there. You may be the only one on it for awhile, but it may surprise you how quickly you may start to get responses. Also, some roll calls don't ever get many responses - just the nature of the people on that cruise. I think if you do start one, though, you might find a few others out there willing to commit to signing on, and you will be able to share more cruise specific info with those you will be spending your vacation with.

I'm glad you were able to get credit for your past cruises - I agree that the first 2 levels of the Mariner program don't offer too many benefits for us, but those 16 days sure go a long way to getting you to the levels where you get to enjoy free laundry and priority boarding! Now those we are looking forward to!

Welcome back to HAL. We are quite partial to them. We hope your cruise will be everything you are hoping for, and that it is filled with many good friends you get to meet on your new CC roll call. Enjoy! :)

Archived