Would you like some cheese with your WHINE?

Yo Eleven

Am I the only one that is getting :rolleyes: with all these sob stories about cruisers not buying travel insurance and saying they will never cruise their line that they booked their cruise because it was canceled because of the volcano. They blame the cruiseline and not themselves which is stupid in my opinon.

I for one ALWAYS buy travel insurance so I cannot be in the category of, "if it happened to you, you would be angry as well"

I just find it fascinating that people shell out THOUSANDS of dollars and don't get travel insurance with is next to nothing in cost. Good grief. Someone send these folks to Dr. Phil for crying out loud!

Not all travel insurance policies are covering this as some consider it an "act of god".

Hmmmmmm.......

Well that sucks, if this is fact. But, it seems a lot of the whiner's threads start out by saying, "don't tell me I should have received travel insurance" Leads me to believe that it would cover it. Can we get some confirmation on this? I have yet to see one person here who got their trip canceled file a claim to be told they were denied coverage. May be too soon, but I sure like to see if the insurance companies aren't paying either.

I get CANCEL FOR ANY REASON rider on my insurance. I say it would cover it. What am I missing?

:confused:

I totally agree with the OP, I too grow tired of people not buying insurance, then crying about losing money when something goes wrong.:confused:

I always buy insurance for all 5 of us, it's less than $100 per person to protect a 5-10 thousand dollar trip, the math makes sense.

Stop crying you babies and pay up for your insurance, it will save your tears later.:eek:

By the way, I have used and been paid in full twice by cruise insurance, once when a family member was too ill to travel, the other when a hurricane made it impossible to fly from LAX to Florida to catch the ship (we wento to Hawaii instead, got paid back for the whole thing when we got back:D)

I totally agree with the OP, I too grow tired of people not buying insurance, then crying about losing money when something goes wrong.:confused:

I always buy insurance for all 5 of us, it's less than $100 per person to protect a 5-10 thousand dollar trip, the math makes sense.

Stop crying you babies and pay up for your insurance, it will save your tears later.:eek:

By the way, I have used and been paid in full twice by cruise insurance, once when a family member was too ill to travel, the other when a hurricane made it impossible to fly from LAX to Florida to catch the ship (we wento to Hawaii instead, got paid back for the whole thing when we got back:D)

Glad to see if there are some folks out there with the same feelings.....

But now there is a twist.

Will Cancel for Any Reason cover a volcanic eruption? I think it would but would like to know for certain. Travel insurance even with that rider is so damn cheap. It is so stupid to not get it considering something might happen that you would need to cancel the trip. I think I spent less than 100 bucks for a party of 3 on a week long cruise. That is chump change consider what is spent on the cruise and travel arrangements, etc.

Someone please chime in about Cancel for any reason!

These people have insurance cover. In the uk it is very hard to buy even a plane ticket without it- you have to opt out and name another policy.

Unlike may less well developed countries we have free universal medical care (novel idea) and so need medical cover as well when travelling abroad.

The insurers are refusing to pay out as the cover does not say it covers volcanoes- the policies do not say that they exclude volcanoes either- they are not mentioned.

I dont think its a case of not buying travel insurance its a case of the insurance companies arent going to pay up.

I rang my insurance company to ask what would happen as were due to fly out in May to Barcelona to join Brilliance ( just wanted to know what would happen if the situation was still on going then ). I hadnt booked my air fare though Royal Caribbean and they say claim through your insurance. Even though weve paid the highest premium , and our insurers are one of the biggest in the uk. They dont want to know as it was down to an Act of God.

,It seems very unfair as some Insurance companies are paying out.

Hopefully were ok as flights are getting back to normal but I feel very sorry for all the people who have lost a great deal of money while others are being allowed to claim, it seems very unfair .

These people have insurance cover. In the uk it is very hard to buy even a plane ticket without it- you have to opt out and name another policy.

Unlike may less well developed countries we have free universal medical care (novel idea) and so need medical cover as well when travelling abroad.

The insurers are refusing to pay out as the cover does not say it covers volcanoes- the policies do not say that they exclude volcanoes either- they are not mentioned.

Yeah-but if they bought Cancel for any reason it SHOULD! Well I think....

I dont think its a case of not buying travel insurance its a case of the insurance companies arent going to pay up.

I rang my insurance company to ask what would happen as were due to fly out in May to Barcelona to join Brilliance ( just wanted to know what would happen if the situation was still on going then ). I hadnt booked my air fare though Royal Caribbean and they say claim through your insurance. Even though weve paid the highest premium , and our insurers are one of the biggest in the uk. They dont want to know as it was down to an Act of God.

,It seems very unfair as some Insurance companies are paying out.

Hopefully were ok as flights are getting back to normal but I feel very sorry for all the people who have lost a great deal of money while others are being allowed to claim, it seems very unfair .

Again the CANCEL for any reason should cover EVERYTHING!!!!! I think, but now I wonder!

For us it makes sense to buy travel insurance as we usually cruise in January and live in Michigan. We cannot count on good weather:rolleyes: so I want to be protected if we get a blizzard.

It is hard to feel bad when they are so angry and bashing one cruise line when it seems like the majority of lines have the same policy for this specific problem.

If I missed my cruise I would be devastated but if I didn't have travel insurance, I would only have myself to blame. This volcano activity has made me realize that I need to read the fine print and make sure that I am covered for "acts of God."

Again the CANCEL for any reason should cover EVERYTHING!!!!! I think, but now I wonder!

I am not wondering anymore. There are A LOT of insurance companies that offer it. To not get travel insurance because it might not cover volcanic eruptions is BOGUS. Cancel for any reason would cover it. End of story. Get some cheese for the whiners!

Cancel for Any Reason

Available from several insurance providers, Cancel For Any Reason provides trip cancellation protection if a traveler is prevented from taking the trip for any reason not otherwise covered by the policy.

To be eligible for the coverage, you must purchase the plan within a certain period of your initial trip deposit (varies by provider) and meet the plan's cancellation conditions. See the plan details for more information.

The following insurance providers offer the Cancel For Any Reason benefit on select plans. Click the plan names to view policy details for Cancel For Any Reason coverage:

Yeah-but if they bought Cancel for any reason it SHOULD! Well I think....

Uk policies are not sold in that way- its a different set of legal rules and a different set of policies.

In the EU (european union) the airline has to accomodate and feed you until they can get you home. That not the same in the USA either.

If I flew to USA with KLM and was stuck due to a flight cancellation they would have to look after me- if I flew on exactly the same code share flight with northwest they would not.

The insurance I use covers anything medical plus anything that makes it impossible for you to get to your cruise.

If I was covered for a hurricane closing airports, I don't see why they wouldn't cover the same way if a volcano or volcanic ash closed the airports, it's all weather related airport closures.

As with the volcano people, my ship still sailed, it's just that I couldn't get to it, so it's pretty much the same exact situation.

I too have insurance - an annual policy thats not cheap - but I think they would do anything rather than pay up. The underwriters told me they may write to everyone who has already bought and paid for the policy that they will no longer cover Volcanos under the policy and I think this will be true for most now in the UK. I bet when I come to renew the price has gone up. I wonder if you have a claim over the credit card company if you have paid in full with them?

I too have insurance - an annual policy thats not cheap - but I think they would do anything rather than pay up. The underwriters told me they may write to everyone who has already bought and paid for the policy that they will no longer cover Volcanos under the policy and I think this will be true for most now in the UK. I bet when I come to renew the price has gone up. I wonder if you have a claim over the credit card company if you have paid in full with them?

This post is suggesting at this time they are paying claims for volcanic disruption BEFORE they write them the letter. Looks like the whiners should of would have could of.....

O well.

I belive that the credit card would cover the goods not delivered (so the flight but that would be refunded anyway) or a whole trip sold as a package. A stand alone cruise was delivered (ie RCI kept their part of the sales agreement) but the guests couldnt get there - so it probably wouldnt be covered unless possibly the credit card had additional insurance which some do.

Hmmmmmm.......

Well that sucks, if this is fact. But, it seems a lot of the whiner's threads start out by saying, "don't tell me I should have received travel insurance" Leads me to believe that it would cover it. Can we get some confirmation on this? I have yet to see one person here who got their trip canceled file a claim to be told they were denied coverage. May be too soon, but I sure like to see if the insurance companies aren't paying either.

I get CANCEL FOR ANY REASON rider on my insurance. I say it would cover it. What am I missing?

:confused:

There are hundreds of insurance companies that all have different policies in place. Also not all companies offer a policy that allows people to cancel for any reason (personally, I have never seen one in my area). So while this clause may be available to you, it may not be available to people in other parts of the world.

If you do a google search you will find plenty of articles that do state that not all insurance companies are covering this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010/apr/15/iceland-volcano-travel-insurance

http://www.petergreenberg.com/2010/04/20/travel-insurance-coverage-limits-the-volcano-in-iceland/

http://bucks.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/20/travel-insurance-and-the-volcano/

Just because nobody has reported it on cruisecritic doesn't mean it isn't happening.

So does that also apply to buying a cruise ticket? If so, why are people complaining about RCI not returning their money?

In the EU (european union) the airline has to accomodate and feed you until they can get you home. That not the same in the USA either.

Why am I seeing all these people on TV, stranded at Kennedy, flying BA that are complaining about being abandoned by the airline and their government?

I'm confused. If you have free universal medical, why do you need medical cover when traveling abroad? Did you miss out a "do not"? By the way, there's no such thing as free medical coverage, somebody's paying for it.

I never leave home without travel insurance. We were stranded in Barcelona a few years ago because of a strike. Many insurance policies do not pay out for strikes or civil unrest. Fortunately our's was not one of those policies.

I'm confused. If you have free universal medical, why do you need medical cover when traveling abroad?

Canada has universal medical care but that will only cover me when I am in the country. When I am outside the country I need insurance.

Looks like the anger is being directed in the wrong direction. It looks as though many with insurance are having a problem on getting reimbursed. Take out your anger with them. It's not the cruise lines fault that a volcano decided to blow it's stack. Now if you did not have insurance, then you have no one to blame but yourself.

I feel for the ones affected and I know that right now many are angry and I would not want to be in their shoes. If anything good comes out of this, people really need to take a very good look at their insurance policy in the future to see what it does and does not cover. Who would have ever thought that something like would happen.

At my job, if I call "out" (example, car problems, traffic, snow). I don't get paid and I get charded with an attendance point. If I call in "sick", I get charged the same attendance point, but I also get paid for the day. Folks, when daling with insurance companies, don't claim that it was due to the volcano. Submit the claim as something that is covered. 'Call in sick". :cool::cool::cool:

So does that also apply to buying a cruise ticket? If so, why are people complaining about RCI not returning their money?

Why am I seeing all these people on TV, stranded at Kennedy, flying BA that are complaining about being abandoned by the airline and their government?

I'm confused. If you have free universal medical, why do you need medical cover when traveling abroad? Did you miss out a "do not"? By the way, there's no such thing as free medical coverage, somebody's paying for it.

I never leave home without travel insurance. We were stranded in Barcelona a few years ago because of a strike. Many insurance policies do not pay out for strikes or civil unrest. Fortunately our's was not one of those policies.

Re cruise ticket- yes they have insurance but the insurance company are saying that they will not cover volcanoes. We dont have any volcanoes in the Uk and so it has never even been mentioned on policies as it has not been relevant. The policies do not say that they do not cover volcanoes either.

If they are on the return leg (ie on way home) BA will cover them and has to. BA may however just refund their reasonable costs rather than find them accomodation. Whenever my BA flights have been cancelled BA have arranged hotels etc for us.

We have a national health service. We do not have our own private medical insurance (well we can as well if we want- I have it through my job but never use it as I never need any extra). We all pay a bit from our salaries and we get doctors, hospitals etc free. We also pay about $9 towards the cost of any medicaton uless we are young, old, pregnant, disabled or unemployed when it is all free. It only covers care in the UK and some of the care in EU countries.

It is not always a matter of Insurance. Royal Caribbean have shown no customer care for their customers. They abandoned people in a foreign country, when they have the contacts and resources to re-book flights and arrange discounted accomadation.

Non-ship RCI staff just do not care about their customers once they have their money. They are an absolute disgrace, and it is the last time I will use a US Cruise operator.

RCI seem to always quote US law .. we bought our Cruise including flight in the UK and under EU law they should look after us and provide accomadation and assistance with re-booking the flight. The contact ends when the customer is in the UK not off the ship.

RCI are going to face lots of compensation claims when people get back to the Europe.

Also I have learnt that RCI are not giving refunds to people who miss their cruise, and are re-selling the cabins, some times to people who can not get home. RCI have made money from this disaster at the same time as showing little concern for their passengers, this is a disgrace and no one should use their ships in future.

:mad:

Looks like the anger is being directed in the wrong direction. It looks as though many with insurance are having a problem on getting reimbursed. Take out your anger with them. It's not the cruise lines fault that a volcano decided to blow it's stack. Now if you did not have insurance, then you have no one to blame but yourself.

I feel for the ones affected and I know that right now many are angry and I would not want to be in their shoes. If anything good comes out of this, people really need to take a very good look at their insurance policy in the future to see what it does and does not cover. Who would have ever thought that something like would happen.

A good review of your insurance ever so often is a great idea and I do it once a year. However.......after following this thread I am going to visit my TA tomorrow.........we go to Europe for a Land Tour in about 75 days.......I now truly want to know what is covered and what isn't. I do have insurance to cover the trip..........or do I?

In fact the American flights we are booked on in July both the outboud to Heathrow and home from Paris haven't flown for the past 6 days because I have been tracking them.

If something isn't covered I can live with it if I know up front. I'm not big on small print........somebody needs to explain it to me but I do try and read it:p Heck I bet I'm one of a few that has read their entire cruise contract in the past........:)

In a way this reminds me of the insurance complaints with Hurricane Katrina.........was it wind or flood damage?

I agree Gordon a review of my policy is in order........something we should all do if you are going to purchase it........to try and know what is in the dang thing.

It is not always a matter of Insurance. Royal Caribbean have shown no customer care for their customers. They abandoned people in a foreign country, when they have the contacts and resources to re-book flights and arrange discounted accomadation.

Non-ship RCI staff just do not care about their customers once they have their money. They are an absolute disgrace, and it is the last time I will use a US Cruise operator.

RCI seem to always quote US law .. we bought our Cruise including flight in the UK and under EU law they should look after us and provide accomadation and assistance with re-booking the flight. The contact ends when the customer is in the UK not off the ship.

RCI are going to face lots of compensation claims when people get back to the Europe.

Also I have learnt that RCI are not giving refunds to people who miss their cruise, and are re-selling the cabins, some times to people who can not get home. RCI have made money from this disaster at the same time as showing little concern for their passengers, this is a disgrace and no one should use their ships in future.

:mad:

Ships leave port....

As far as being abandoned in a foreign country. Didn't the passengers plan to visit foreign countries on their foreign travel?;) I haven't been to Dubai (would like to go), but it looks pretty nice when I watch it during the formula 1 telecast from there!:D All of those mega yachts, and sultans. Sounds like a horrible place to be stuck.

Ok, I am dropped in a foreign country, and the airlines are not flying. Choices... go to the airport and sleep on the floor for days, or find a hotel and move in.... I know which one I am going to do when my turn on the karmic wheel comes up.

jc

Archived