Mariner leaving :( West Coast is sad

I know how all of you WC's feel because I felt the same way when Rhapsody & Splendor both left Galveston.

I am excited that we will still have a ship in Galveston, I just wish we could get a year round one.

Gordon

Geographical ease will always stand in the way of business.........and I understand that and apprciate that...... being in the middle of the country, heck we have to fly East, West, North or South..........we just have to consider flying costs as part of the deal.

Fortunately if you are a stockholder.........geographical ease never stands in the way of business decisions from the board of directors.

I do feel for them however............

I agree Jim about them losing their only RCI ship but in the end, we all know that it's a business decision.

Well I guess Europeons are willing to pay more with less discounting. How hard is it to understand that the cruise lines are going where the business is? Take a look at the other lines such as Princess and HAL to see how many ships are being moved to other parts of the world.

I completely agree with this, I've even noticed a significant rising number of Europeans on cruises out of Miami in recent years. The exchange rate works in their favor in that case.

Not that I disagree with what theyre doing, they have a business to run and obviously they want to maximize their revenue, but it makes me wonder if these cruise lines that are removing ships from the American markets are losing long time American customers along the way. Of course, I suppose if they do lose customers in one market, they are gaining them back in different markets.

Gordon

Geographical ease will always stand in the way of business.........and I understand that and apprciate that...... being in the middle of the country, heck we have to fly East, West, North or South..........we just have to consider flying costs as part of the deal.

Fortunately if you are a stockholder.........geographical ease never stands in the way of business decisions from the board of directors.

I do feel for them however............

I think most of us sympathize with their situation. However, we also understand why the decision was made and believe that it was almost inevitable.

As a shareholder I sure hope that RCCL locks in some foreign exchange derivatives to hedge against a massive fall in the Euro exchange rate if and when Greece or any other other PIIGS countries governments come toppling down and dragging the entire Eurozone with them.

Greatest risk is Germany pulling out of the Euro and going back to D-marks and then the Euro would likely fall off of a cliff and the decision to base half of the ships there would likely come back to bite them in arse...

My husband and I sailed twice on the Mariner last year. In October we took 14 people with us. We live in central California and it was nice to save on airfare. We will probably cut down on cruises now because of the added airfare we will have to pay. Our next cruise will be in a couple of weeks on the Oasis, but it is costing us really more than we can afford very often. We are retired and really enjoy cruising, but we may have to try some other line. We are Diamond, but it really doesn't matter anymore.

I understand why Royal Caribbean had to pull the Mariner out of Los Angeles, but they're not even going to replace her with a smaller ship that's seasonal? That's crazy!

Maybe the Vision will homeport back in LA seasonally. Adam said in his blog that the Splendour will be coming back to Sao Paulo, but never said anything about the Vision. But it could just be because the Vision wasn't mentioned anywhere in the release. Who knows? I can't see Royal Caribbean leaving the market to their biggest competitor. Also it should be different with Disney coming to the west coast in 2011.

So if you have not heard, the Mariner of the Seas, which has been sailing the Mexican Riviera since March of 2009, will relocate to sail in Europe on January 16th 2011. I am personally sad that the ship is leaving, but i am lucky as i will be sailing on her in a month.

But heres the question:

Mariner was sent to LA to replace Vision of the Seas on its 7 night round trip rought which Vision had been sailing for 4 years. This means that Vision must have been making good profits to send a Voyager Class vessel to replace it. Did Mariner make good enough profits to send a bigger ship like a Freedom, or maybe a Radiance Class ship, or did she not do well and that is why she is relocating? From what ive seen on these boards, the Mexican Riviera is a very popular cruise to take, other than the Caribbean and Alaska. Currently, the Serenade, Brilliance, Grandeur, Legend, Navigator, and the Voyager of the Seas dates for 2011 have not yet been released. So, we will have to see what Royal Caribbeans plans are, and what will happen to the rest of these ships.

the link for the story is here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3826

We are diamond and barely shy of diamond plus and are booked on the Mariener in a Grand Suite this Aug. But just as we have been loyal RC we can just as easy go else where. RC Shows they care very little about the west coast clientel. Shareholders and bottom lines are important but so is serving a vast class of people on the west coast. They are not loosing money, that ship is at a profit for sure However as loyal as we have been we will now start looking at other brands,we can afford to do as we please. There many other optipons to people besides cruising and we dearly love to cruise but now will look elsewhere and will tell those we cum into contact with to look else where also. We were like pied pipers as we have maore than a dozen times taken 24 of ours friends with us also. But now enough is enough and we will now look else where.:(

So if you have not heard, the Mariner of the Seas, which has been sailing the Mexican Riviera since March of 2009, will relocate to sail in Europe on January 16th 2011. I am personally sad that the ship is leaving, but i am lucky as i will be sailing on her in a month.

But heres the question:

Mariner was sent to LA to replace Vision of the Seas on its 7 night round trip rought which Vision had been sailing for 4 years. This means that Vision must have been making good profits to send a Voyager Class vessel to replace it. Did Mariner make good enough profits to send a bigger ship like a Freedom, or maybe a Radiance Class ship, or did she not do well and that is why she is relocating? From what ive seen on these boards, the Mexican Riviera is a very popular cruise to take, other than the Caribbean and Alaska. Currently, the Serenade, Brilliance, Grandeur, Legend, Navigator, and the Voyager of the Seas dates for 2011 have not yet been released. So, we will have to see what Royal Caribbeans plans are, and what will happen to the rest of these ships.

the link for the story is here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3826

Actually, RCCL had a hard time filling the Vision year round from LA. In the off season the cabin prices were greatly discounted in an attempt to fill the ship. Since the Mariner's arrival, the ship has not done well, especially with regard to onboard revenue. Most of the crew has been trying to transfer to more profitable ships since her arrival in LA. RCCL is also giving the crew "guaranteed pay" because their sales/tips aren't enough for them to live on and support their families.

It just makes sense that RCCL decided to move the ship to another market where they not only can command higher prices and increased onboard revenue, but they can also eliminate having to pay the crew guaranteed salaries.

Personally, I don't think the West Coast will see another ship for a while.

Seriously, HAVE TO GIVE... seriously????

Do you realise what that sounds like? :eek:

We are so deep in doo doo....:(

jc

You from the West Coast? Cruiselines are lining up to get out of here. It leaves a HUGE VOID in the cruising business. And YES, they HAVE TO GIVE us something. Pretty Puleeeeze? :cool:

New clients I can put on Carnival. Returning clients won't touch Carnival and that leaves me with nothing simple off the West Coast ...

I wonder why Voyager of the Seas is being replaced in Galveston with another Voyager class ship (Mariner)?

Yes why not leave us the VY and take the MN to NO? Love VY. Sailing her again this November Transatlantic to Galveston.

My husband and I sailed twice on the Mariner last year. In October we took 14 people with us. We live in central California and it was nice to save on airfare. We will probably cut down on cruises now because of the added airfare we will have to pay. Our next cruise will be in a couple of weeks on the Oasis, but it is costing us really more than we can afford very often. We are retired and really enjoy cruising, but we may have to try some other line. We are Diamond, but it really doesn't matter anymore.

There are other ships in San Pedro and Long Beach.

It's just a shame that RCCL seems to be giving up on the West coast entirely. But I guess I can understand when I look at the prices for Mariner cruises.....

That's how we felt 3 years ago when they took Rhapsody and Splendour away from Texas:( I feel for you guys, but I'm happy!

Yes why not leave us the VY and take the MN to NO? Love VY. Sailing her again this November Transatlantic to Galveston.

Kate, let them have her, Mariner is cool and has a Vintages which Vger does not. We love Vintages, our fave hangout. I'm happy with any RCCL ship!

I better sail the Mariner before it leaves. She was on our list of things to do. LOL

Radiance is leaving San Diego and now Mariner is leaving San Pedro?! Did they think we west coaster doesn't know enjoy cruising or something?!

Don't really know what you are trying to say here....

It is obvious that the Mariner didn't do good in the West Coast.

###

I am so shocked ... I don't know what to think. :(

Maybe somebody can help me out here. I keep wondering about all the discounted fares on Mariner people keep talking about because I would like to book them... but all I can find is three pages of discounted fares for European sailings. :rolleyes: http://www.creative.rccl.com/sales/RCI_Sales_Event/rci_sales_event.pdf

Actually, RCCL had a hard time filling the Vision year round from LA. In the off season the cabin prices were greatly discounted in an attempt to fill the ship. Since the Mariner's arrival, the ship has not done well, especially with regard to onboard revenue. Most of the crew has been trying to transfer to more profitable ships since her arrival in LA. RCCL is also giving the crew "guaranteed pay" because their sales/tips aren't enough for them to live on and support their families.

It just makes sense that RCCL decided to move the ship to another market where they not only can command higher prices and increased onboard revenue, but they can also eliminate having to pay the crew guaranteed salaries.

Personally, I don't think the West Coast will see another ship for a while.

Where do some of you get your info....You say in the off season, was the off Season....Alaska....Is that not where the Vision went every summer.

The crew gets added pay....how do you know this? We were Monarch guys and nobody lrft that ship who worked her because the crew made soooo much money...Yes i know because we knew a lot of the crew and still have contacts with a few.....so if you are correct, I apoligize but somehow I do not beleive so.

The facts as I see them.....RCCL had to discount the ship to make it go out full....but i am sure they discount most of the ships in the line.

Mexico, the past year is in the news all of the time with all of the violence that is happening along the boarder but it still comes across as all of Mexico.....Guess what....The Mariner only sails to MEXICO.....no other ports or countries.

Then...Here comes Disney for a year.....Guess what, families are going for the Disney boat way before the Mariner. If i had kids.....it would be a no brainer to take Disney over RCCL.

Then it is that nasty weather ( WIND ) last day and a half coming back to LA. The Vision was a great ship with the Solarium...Mariner, no top on that pool....that really hurts her. Radiance Class is a much better fit for the west coast and hopefully one day we will get a Radiance class ship to do the MR 8 months and then move to Alaska for 4 months. We will miss her, but unfortunatly, Carnival will be seeing our Greenback more the RCCL.....Thanks Adam for treating us West Coast Cruisers with great respect.....You can now take your foot out of my................

Mike

Archived