alaska in May

pahumph

I agree, layers, layers and more layers. Most important bring a waterproof jacket, you will have a great chance of needing it especially if your going to Glacier and or Hubbard Bay. May tends to still be pretty chilling. It's O.K. to be a little chilly but wet and chilly is uncomfortable. If you go to the Alaska Board, you will get lots of suggestions.

You might want to pack a pair of shorts and a t-shirt, as well! Last May, it was very warm in Alaska. It was in the 70's several days. We ended up carrying our jackets while walking around Juneau.

You might want to pack a pair of shorts and a t-shirt, as well! Last May, it was very warm in Alaska. It was in the 70's several days. We ended up carrying our jackets while walking around Juneau.

We experience this last May as well! We did the heli dogsledding and were almost overheated on the glacier!

Hat or cap, gloves and a pair or leather shoes that you have sprayed a couple of time with waterproofing. I also recommend that your jacket not have a sewn in lining, it can be very difficult to dry on a ship if it gets wet.

Don't forget that if you are on deck with say a 20 knot wind and the ship is going into the wind at 25 knots, you have to add a wind chill of 45 knots to the actual temperature. If the air temperature was 40 F, under these conditions it would feel like 26 F.

Think chilly.

DON

I take serveral shirts/polos/blouses.... a couple long sleeve shirts..... a fleece jacket.... and a thicker lined rain jacket. I also take $1 gloves from Walgreens and a beenie. Hiking boots or waterproof shoes are a must because if its not raining.... theres puddles everywhere.

I also take a backpack and peel off layers as I go. I wore and undershirt meant to keep your body warm (get them at outdoor hiking stores) I wear when I'm motorcycling. Just having that on and a jacket.... I was hot (and Im from Tucson, Arizona).

Early morning it is breezy and chilly... by noon its nice and warm and you're down to your slacks and your shirt. then by afternoong/evening.... you're starting to put layers back on.

DONT FORGET BINOCULARS..... there is wildlife everywhere!!!!!

Oh yeah- Columbia hiking socks ($9 ea) or other... are a MUST for keeping your feet warm, protected from blisters, and moist free. If you're wearing tennis shoes.. keep an extra pair of socks in your backpack in case you step in a puddle... a blister while you're walking can ruin the next couple days of port visits.

Archived