Looking for a decent hotel near Cape Liberty

BillsMafiaBabe

Hi everyone,

I'm looking suggestions for a hotel relatively close to Port Liberty. I have been considering the Hampton Inn at EWK but I'm having trouble figuring out how far the hotel would be (in real life terms) from the port on a Sat embarkation and a Thurs disembark.

I was also considering the Hilton, also at the airport, that offers a stay and park until I was told that the cab fare would be about 65 each way (??), does that sound correct? That being the case, it would seem more convenient to park at the port ourselves and have the "quick getaway" from the port without the transfer...am I crazy?

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sue

Sue - It sounds like you're driving down from the Buffalo area to take the 5 day Explorer Bermuda cruise. For such a short cruise it is definitely more economical and convenient to park at the port for $95. You will pay about $50 each way for a car service. As you point out, by parking at the port you can just get off the ship, get your car, and hit the road.

The hotels at Newark Airport are among the closest hotels to the port. However, it is a highly urban industrial area of confusing roads. The hotels tend to be isolated, some are hard to find, some do not have restaurants (delivery take out only), and there is a very limited selection of restaurants in the immediate area. For Sept 10 I am seeing the Courtyard Elizabeth for $100 including taxes - this is a property that many folks have stayed at. It is near a Ruby Tuesdays and the Jersey Gardens Mall.

Since you are coming in from the north via I80, I would recommend that you look seriously at the Secaucus hotels. They are just a bit further away from the port at turnpike exit 17 coming south, but you will drive right by them. This area has a more suburban feel with hotels, restaurants, outlet shops, offices, and condos. For Sept 10 I am seeing a Fairfield Inn for $102 including tax and breakfast. There is also a Courtyard Marriott for $114. On Hotwire there is a 3* hotel for $77 + tax which could be the Holiday Inn. Restaurants in the area include Charlie Brown's, Panera Bread, Houlihan's, Chipotle Mexican Grill, Taos Wok, TGI Friday's, Chili's, and several steak places among others.

Sorry I guess I left that out...yes we are going to drive - it is only about 5-6 hours to Newark from home and flying would only be about an hour faster by the time you go through the airport hassles.

Thanks for the Secaucus suggestion, that was just what I was looking for. We really arent that concerned about the amenities around the hotels more so being able to find the hotels later in the evening.

As it is a relatively short drive, we dont plan to leave until 1-2pm so it will be dusky about the time we get into the area.

Again Thank you so much for the help/suggestions

Sue

Sue - It sounds like you're driving down from the Buffalo area to take the 5 day Explorer Bermuda cruise. For such a short cruise it is definitely more economical and convenient to park at the port for $95. You will pay about $50 each way for a car service. As you point out, by parking at the port you can just get off the ship, get your car, and hit the road.

The hotels at Newark Airport are among the closest hotels to the port. However, it is a highly urban industrial area of confusing roads. The hotels tend to be isolated, some are hard to find, some do not have restaurants (delivery take out only), and there is a very limited selection of restaurants in the immediate area. For Sept 10 I am seeing the Courtyard Elizabeth for $100 including taxes - this is a property that many folks have stayed at. It is near a Ruby Tuesdays and the Jersey Gardens Mall.

Since you are coming in from the north via I80, I would recommend that you look seriously at the Secaucus hotels. They are just a bit further away from the port at turnpike exit 17 coming south, but you will drive right by them. This area has a more suburban feel with hotels, restaurants, outlet shops, offices, and condos. For Sept 10 I am seeing a Fairfield Inn for $102 including tax and breakfast. There is also a Courtyard Marriott for $114. On Hotwire there is a 3* hotel for $77 + tax which could be the Holiday Inn. Restaurants in the area include Charlie Brown's, Panera Bread, Houlihan's, Chipotle Mexican Grill, Taos Wok, TGI Friday's, Chili's, and several steak places among others.

Park at the port. The lady in the inner tube knows her stuff and was a great help to me in my planning.

Archived