Is there babysitting for a 1 year old on Princess Diamond Alaska

wadeod

We will have our 14 month old son with us in alaska, but we arent sure we want to take him on some excursions (train etc). I know they have programs when they turn 3. But some lines have group babysitting while at port or at night for kids younger than 3. Does anyone know if princess does this?

thanks

According to the Princess web site--you can't leave behind a child that young there:

Princess welcomes children on board as long as they meet the age criteria listed below, however, children under the age of three are not permitted in the Youth Centers unless accompanied by a parent or guardian at all times.

Caribbean, Europe, Alaska and Mexico: 6 months

Exotics: 12 months

Panama Canal: 6 months

Canada/New England: 6 months

On ships offering a Youth Program, babysitting is available on a group basis (ages 3-12 only) after 10 p.m. for a nominal charge. Private babysitting is not available on any Princess ship. Evening group babysitting is not available on the Royal, Tahitian, or Pacific Princess.

Les

We will have our 14 month old son with us in alaska, but we arent sure we want to take him on some excursions (train etc). I know they have programs when they turn 3. But some lines have group babysitting while at port or at night for kids younger than 3. Does anyone know if princess does this?

thanks

Unfortunately, Princess do not offer private nor group babysitting for kids under 3. You have two choices basically--not to do the excursions or put your child in a backpack and go to the excursions with him. Some Alaskan excursions are really not suitable for kids that young because young kids have their own schedule and sometimes doing your own walking tour is the best way to sightseeing in Alaska, especially with young children.

Two other choices: 1. Leave the child at home with grandma & grandpa. He won't remember the cruise but he might remember the wonderful time he had with grandma and grandpa. :D

2. Bring grandma & grandpa along to do the babysitting. It is extremely common on cruises to see extended families. It's a win-win-win situation. The baby's happy to be surrounded by parents and grandparents. The parents are happy to have a little "alone" time and the grandparents are happy to have "alone" time with the baby. ;)

2. Bring grandma & grandpa along to do the babysitting.

I don't have kids, but this thread brings to mind a question.

Is it possible to "cut a deal" with someone onboard (like a female cabin steward or someone who works at the purser's desk, the kids center, etc.) for babysitting during their off hours? For example, maybe someone who works in the kids center (and is not working while the ship is in port) would be willing to babysit to make some extra money?

Does the cruiseline permit them to do this?

I seem to recall reading somewhere of passengers with children who have done this ... mainly at night so that they could have some "parents night out" time.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Gone are the days when Captain Stubings daughter from the Love Boat TV show would be delighted to babysit in a passenger cabin. It is now against every regulation in the book for a crew member to babysit or even enter a passenger cabin. It is certainly for their protection. A sad sign of the times. :( Just bring Grandma along.

Gone are the days when Captain Stubings daughter from the Love Boat TV show would be delighted to babysit in a passenger cabin. It is now against every regulation in the book for a crew member to babysit or even enter a passenger cabin. It is certainly for their protection. A sad sign of the times. :( Just bring Grandma along.

Thanks for the info. Guess I should have figured that. You're right. It's a sign of the times ... unfortunately.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I don't have kids, but this thread brings to mind a question.

Is it possible to "cut a deal" with someone onboard (like a female cabin steward or someone who works at the purser's desk, the kids center, etc.) for babysitting during their off hours? For example, maybe someone who works in the kids center (and is not working while the ship is in port) would be willing to babysit to make some extra money?

Does the cruiseline permit them to do this?

I seem to recall reading somewhere of passengers with children who have done this ... mainly at night so that they could have some "parents night out" time.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Also there isn't much "down time" if you work on a ship. :)

Bringing your own sitter is an excellent idea. Look at extended family- someone should be interested in cruising hopefully. :)

I do not believe it is against the 'law' to have a off duty crew member babysit as several of the other cruise line provide this service. We have taken advantage of this several times with our young daughter while going ashore on tours. We also plan on doing the same ion our next cruise in March

Regards

Roger

Also there isn't much "down time" if you work on a ship. :)

When I joined the Rotterdam last March ... two days into its cruise because I missed the dam ship ... :) ... it was docked in Puerto Limon and most of the passengers were off on shore excursions. I wandered into the Lido for a bite to eat and not knowing any better, sat on the "staff" side of the restaurant. I got to talking with a woman who worked in the Club HAL program as a counselor and she told me that when the ship was in port, they didn't run Club HAL activities cause the children were all on excursions with their parents.

She got to telling me a bit about her job and how much she loved it ... and loved working on a cruise ship. She mentioned that after a certain time in the evening, there are no Club HAL activities so the counselors have time to themselves. While they don't have the run of the ship during these times, she said there is a lot for them to do on their own decks.

That's why I was wondering if a passenger could "cut a deal" with a Club HAL counselor ... who was watching their kids in the program all day anyway ... to come to their cabin and babysit at night ... or during a port day when the parents wanted to go off and do their own thing.

But, of course, I never thought about our society today and how the cruiselines maybe wouldn't want their employees being alone with the children of passengers ... especially in a passenger cabin.

Sad, huh?

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived