Live From The Sun!

cruiserforlife

CFL and Host Anne - thanks so much for the updates from on board. We will be in line to board when you are getting off on Monday the 7th.

It is really fun to get a sneak peek from you. We plan to have a great time no matter what.

Thanks again.

Back at you...

mkk,

I do not know but I understand they are some kind of volcanic rock formation with a natural hot bath...we'll see tomorrow if I'm up to it.

Captain's Circle cocktail party was exactly as patti o described it since she just got off the Sun.The Captain came over and mingled and when my wife mentioned (she didn't mean any harm in it!) that in all her 25+ cruises,she had never missed a port or had an excursion cancelled (a pretty amazing feat in itself!),his face got all red and he looked like he was about an inch tall...

Actually,he handled it with charm and just said..."Stick with me!"

Tonight's dinner was good but I wouldn't say it was the greatest but who am I to judge being sick and all?

Will close now...planned on the Island party up on the deck but have thought the better of it and will turn in now for the hopes of a good night sleep and a great excursion in Tortola.

Talk 2 u all later,

CFL

The Baths are a natural formation of huge bolders caused by volcanic action on the beach shore of the island of Virgin Gorda in the BVI. There is no "hot bath" but the groups of rocks form pools of sea water and other wonderful arrangements like caverns and tunnels. The only other place in the word with similar rocks is are the Seychelle Islands in the Indian Ocean.

It is a most enjoyable place to spend some time.

This link will give you some additional insights....

http://www.thebathsbvi.com/

Hope you're feeling better, CFL - you wouldn't happen to be a fellow Canuck would you - noted your use of the usually Canadian "eh" in one of your posts :-)

I'm curious about the discussion re rums you can only get in the Caribbean - having never been before I'd appreciate some insight/recommendations if anyone has a favourite (and where to get it).

chrysalis...thanks for the link...sounds interesting...my next trip to Tortola will have to include that!

yaya...we buy Calypso Island Vanilla Rum.. ( they have many other flavors also..pineapple, coconut etc).in St Thomas at A.H.Reiss..they are always very accomodating and efficient about getting a case of it to the ship for us. We like it cause it's very mild and smooth tasting.. From what I gather from talking to local islanders..they consider it "junk rum" and cook with it mostly. It's very inexpensive...:) There are always opportunities to taste the many varieties of liquors of the islands...

In Puerto Rico the Bacardi factory tour is fascinating. They make a rum called Bacardi Black that is aged longer than the rums they distribute to the states. Very Tasty!! We cannot buy it here in the U.S. and have looked for it in many other parts of the Caribbean to no avail.

In Curacao we found an Orange liqueor (sp?) that was sold at a small stand near the ship..brought a bottle back to our cabin and of course..loved it but can't find it anywhere..would recognize the bottle but don't remember the name! Maybe someone else knows what I mean....

Anyway...take the taste tests and take advantage of the great buys!

CFL..again thanks for writing and hope you feel better!

MK

CFL,

that's funny about your wife. What does she do? The DH and I are both in the medical field and we always pack our own personal pharmacy just in case. Antibiotics, valium, migraine medicine, muscle relaxants............Don't usually end up using them but they have come in handy a time or two.

Sorry CFL that I didn't read your post early enough.

By now, you probably have had the Capt's Library party and it's a moot point. But yep, 20-25 people DID fit in the Library. and only one party, not two; worked fine.

My understanding from Juliet is that it's not the Elite category passengers automatically invited. It's the MOST traveled passengers. One could be an Elite, but sailing with a bunch of other passengers with lots more days. It's the most traveled, I was told, the top "so-many" passengers. So don't be disapptd if any Elite passengers reading these posts don't receive an invite to the Capt's private event.

One time, we were invited to the Capt's private quarters for lunch there. There were only 10 invited! That was pretty cool, though, especially since the capt had a great personality, very informative, and we got to see how the officers live. Way cool experience.

rucruizin: I'm retired from the med field also, pack the same dang stuff you do!! Has come in handy a few times. But then again....there's that great Caribbean rum and those $1 Caribe beers.

By the way, CFL.....your mention of those $1 Caribe's brought a smile to my face! I'm not particularly a beer drinker, but boy those darn Caribe's sitting at St. Maarten suuurrre did taste fine! Could use one right 'bout now.

Enjoy a few more for us!

mkk...was that rum liqueur called?.....

Rhum Orange Liquer, by Santa Teresa, in a tall, thin, frosted, maroon bottle with a cork stopper?.....I bought mine in either Barbados or Curacao last year on the Sun and the stuff is fantastic. Still have a bit left!!

Ya Ya, the other rum to try (made in the Virgin Islands) is Cruzan....not sure it is available in Canada.

Cheers

marc

I've really been enjoying this daily update on the Sun Princess. It has definitely increased my anticipation/excitement over our upcoming cruise.

One quick question: Are Arnold and Fermin still working as florists on the ship? They were such nice guys and quite helpful with floral problems on our last cruise. OK, two quick questions: Do they still set up a display in the Atrium before dinner where you can make purchases?

Hope you're enjoying the final day of your cruise!

chrysalis...Yes! I think that WAS it! Boy was it GOOD..Ours was all gone by the end of the cruise!

Also..Cruzan is available in the states ( not sure about Canada)and is supposedly bottled by the same company and the closest in taste to Calypso.

CFL..hope the meds helped and you are off having fun in Tortola!

Neither DH nor I were in the med field but always travel with an assortment of headache, anti-inflamm, anti-itch and stomach-heartburn stuff...you just never know! I think that comes under the category of.."You know you're getting old when..." :)

Have fun today!

MK

O.K. you SUNers, please do post about Tortola and the Baths at V.G. tonight! The Baths have been on my list to see for some time, but we won't make it this yr. Still, tell us all about it so I can live vicariously!

Re: all the meds: I keep a hanging toiletry bag ready to go for trips and in it are the everyday sorts of things you might need at home, like cold medicine, antibiotic salve, stomach distress things, etc. I have often had to raid that bag when we need something at home and are out of it! One thing, though, I always have to remember to check the exp. dates on the medicines, etc., now and then because some things get put in there and never get used for so long . . . .

Hope you all have fun today!

This may be a stupid question, but the pizza is there an extra charge or is it included in the cruise fare. I hear how good the pizza is and just want to know since in the brochure it shows the pizza place being a specialty restaruant like sterlings. I know Sterlings is an extra charge. How much?

The liquer you mention I believe is in a bajo shaped bottle and is called Curacao. It comes in clear, orange, blue and green. I have seen it in liquor stores in DC in the past but have bought it in St. Thomas as well as Dutch islands.

Hey guys,

I couldn't post before now even though I remained on the ship because of this dang cold because I have to use my wife's Elite card to avoid 'net charges.

rucruizin,

My wife is a medical assistant at a Cardio clinic and thank god she knows how to pack...probably why I married her!

She went on the Cat today and they never got to the baths because of 12' swells.My wife said it was cold with some rain.The guide who was born & raised here said he has never seen weather this bizarre with "due north winds".

At this point,I think we are cancelling our "High Pockets" tour with Kathleen tomorrow.Two days in a row of rough weather wouldn't be a good thing.

The Captain's Party was fun and we all had a good time.They took individual pictures of us all with the Captain but we haven't seen them yet.Like the luncheons,I expected to see them before we left last night but maybe they expect us to pay for them...couldn't be?

Hopefully,I'll start to feel better.Tomorrow,we'll just take the ferry into St.John and just taxi to a beach...my wife is dying to do a simple beach day...somewhere warm and not rainy!

MC,

The pizza here is without a doubt the best at sea and there is no additional charge for it or the great Calzones...yummy!

Sterlings is an additional $20/pp but isn't a dedicated restaurant like on the other Princess ships.We haven't done it this cruise and probably won't.

Take care guys and talk to you later,

CFL

Sterlings is an additional $20/pp but isn't a dedicated restaurant like on the other Princess ships.
When Sterling’s first started, they set up the tables near the grill area for the service. It was really a nice atmosphere overlooking the pool while dining. Too bad they don’t continue to do that.

It is good to hear from you while you are underway. We leave to cruise on the Sun on Feb. 17th and can't wait. Please keep us posted on your fun happenings at Sea. We would love to hear from anyone else that may be going on the same sailing as us on the 17th. Email us directly at lewisbunch@msn.com. We would love to hear from you!

PS. Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

mkk,

We too are on Baja deck,stateroom 605.

We have a fun group here especially our new found cruisecritic friends.Host Anne sent everyone a survey form to fill out beforehand with pictures of our fellow CC cruisers... a great idea!We were able to spot everyone right away and it made the whole experience much better.

After talking to the pursers desk,I have learned the last few cruises have also experienced rough seas but as we head south,it has smoothed out.I like the motion of the ocean as well as the next guy but falling out of bed is no fun.My wife who has done 25+ cruises commented she has never experienced the ocean this rough in the Caribbean.

It is sort of fun to watch everyone stumble around and the waves are currently 4.5-7.5 feet so I guess it is getting better.

Went to the art auction and tonight is our first formal night with the Captains Gala and we are looking forward to that.We sent all our clothes out for free pressing yesterday and expect it back before 5 tonight.

The pools are still closed but the hot tubs are open.

We really love the Sun and her sister ships we have sailed.Anyone who is getting ready to sail her should do so without any worries so don't always believe what you read because things are just fine here.

Luckily neither my wife of I get seasick so no precautions were needed.

Will check in again soon because tommorw is another sea day before we get to Antiqua.

Ask any questions you'd like and I'll be happy to try to answer them.

ps.One note:I am Gold and was using my cruisecard for computer access.The pursers desk told me I should be using my wife's Elite card to avoid charges but it isn't spelled out anywhere I've ever read.Keep that in mind if you are not Elite but someone in your room is.

CFL

Thank you so much for your reports, feel like we are cruising with you. It is so nice that you take the time each day to write these reports. I think all of us look forward to your updates. Hope you are feeling better, and enjoy your day tomorrow. Have you had lobster night yet?? Will you feel up to besting your best? Take care.

Archived