Evening dress attire on the Summit

mbcruisers

From the Celebrity website:

"Smart Casual and Above

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) complemented by sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances."

It does not say "no jeans", but in general I think you'll find jeans are not considered by many to fit into the Smart Casual category. Having said that, there is no Dress Code Police that will deny you entrance to the MDR. We've seen jeans in the MDR before. If you want to "fit in", I'd say ditch the denims. If you feel unconfortable unless you're in jeans, I'd say go for it.

Evening Dress attire as you ask ...

It does depend upon who is at the doors.. as well what the mood is.

Did you know Charles Tandy, Chairman/CEO of Tandy Corp. ..Radio Shack then used to come to Board of Directors meetings in Overalls?

The main word I think is, choice.:cool:

Especially now with fees and charges :mad:for all things on airlines ... yes even the W.C.

On smart casual nights,I have never seen anyone turned away wearing jeans that are dark, clean and matched with a nice top. I DID see a guy "talked to". He was wearing baggy jeans with a t shirt with some band logo. He did leave the door and came back wearing a cotton shirt with collar... and the same jeans. No mention of jeans specifically in X guidelines.

On casual nights, I wear chinos and a polo shirt or short-sleeved sports shirt. On smart casual nights, I simply add a blazer.

There is only smart casual on X. No jacket is needed. Polos, cotton shirts, resort type shirts and dockers are just fine.

Can men wear dockers, and polo shirt for this ? Or is it a fancier ?

This is all fine for smart casual nights. Golf polos, cotton prints, resort type shirts, vests, sweaters with khakis or micro pants all work. ;) You WILL see a few sport coats, but not required.

Just booking our first Celeb cruise (lots of rccl and ccl) - can my young teen boys where dress shorts and a golf shirt on regular dining nights? They'll easily clean up (jackets etc) for formal nights but is the "no shorts" rule followed for dress shorts for young people in the MDR?

We can always work around it but, after one night, their khakis inevitably look like they've been to war - a few pair of dress shorts go much farther!!

Just booking our first Celeb cruise (lots of rccl and ccl) - can my young teen boys where dress shorts and a golf shirt on regular dining nights? They'll easily clean up (jackets etc) for formal nights but is the "no shorts" rule followed for dress shorts for young people in the MDR?

We can always work around it but, after one night, their khakis inevitably look like they've been to war - a few pair of dress shorts go much farther!!

I think if they're young boys, say between 1 & 10 dress shorts with a polo would be ok, for the older ones, not so much, they could change after dinner if they're going to the teen fun area.

No shorts! Time to put on the Big Boy pants.;)

On our Summit cruise in Feb we cannot recall seeing any jeans in the MDR during second seating, and definitely no shorts on young people, but then again families with children tend to prefer early seating. One couple of our party wore chinos and a golf shirt for hubby and capris and a short sleeved cotton shirt for wife one evening and said they felt underdressed. We didn't notice before that but looking around most men had on collared "dress" shirts, either short or long sleeved, with dress pants, and ladies had dress pants or skirts with blouses. Really, it's whatever makes you comfortable; and that would include if not standing out makes you more comfortable, as clearly it did for them.

Put them in navy blue or black chinos and spot clean them in the room. Use them for dinner only and put napkins on their laps :):)

I think if they're young boys, say between 1 & 10 dress shorts with a polo would be ok, for the older ones, not so much, they could change after dinner if they're going to the teen fun area.

The Fauntleroy suit, so well-described by Burnett and realized in Reginald Birch's detailed pen-and-ink drawings, created a major fad for formal dress for American middle-class children:

"What the Earl saw was a graceful, childish figure in a black velvet suit, with a lace collar, and with lovelocks waving about the handsome, manly little face, whose eyes met his with a look of innocent good-fellowship." (Little Lord Fauntleroy)

The Fauntleroy suit appeared in Europe as well, but nowhere was it as popular as America. The classic Fauntleroy suit was a velvet cut-away jacket and matching knee pants worn with a fancy blouse with a large lace or ruffled collar. These suits appear right after the publication of Mrs. Burnett's story (1885) and was a major fashion until after the turn of the 20th century. Many boys who did not wear an actual Fauntleroy suit, wore suits with Fauntleroy elements such as a fancy blouse or floppy bow. Only a minority of boys wore ringlet curls with these suits, but the photographic record confirms that many boys did. It was most popular for boys about 3–8 years of age, but some older boys wore them as well. It has been speculated that the popularity of the style encouraged many mothers to breech their boys earlier than before and was a factor in the decline of the fashion of dressing small boys in dresses and other skirted garments.

Fauntleroy.jpg.d5614d3bf32ed544ed3b2db5e0f7924a.jpg

Theres different rules for the theater, lounge areas, and MDR. Dress code was more strictly enforced in MDR than in theater. Anyone who was on the April 03 sailing and saw "Slim" at the show knows what Im talking about!

The Fauntleroy suit, so well-described by Burnett and realized in Reginald Birch's detailed pen-and-ink drawings, created a major fad for formal dress for American middle-class children:

"What the Earl saw was a graceful, childish figure in a black velvet suit, with a lace collar, and with lovelocks waving about the handsome, manly little face, whose eyes met his with a look of innocent good-fellowship." (Little Lord Fauntleroy)

The Fauntleroy suit appeared in Europe as well, but nowhere was it as popular as America. The classic Fauntleroy suit was a velvet cut-away jacket and matching knee pants worn with a fancy blouse with a large lace or ruffled collar. These suits appear right after the publication of Mrs. Burnett's story (1885) and was a major fashion until after the turn of the 20th century. Many boys who did not wear an actual Fauntleroy suit, wore suits with Fauntleroy elements such as a fancy blouse or floppy bow. Only a minority of boys wore ringlet curls with these suits, but the photographic record confirms that many boys did. It was most popular for boys about 3–8 years of age, but some older boys wore them as well. It has been speculated that the popularity of the style encouraged many mothers to breech their boys earlier than before and was a factor in the decline of the fashion of dressing small boys in dresses and other skirted garments.

Ok, if she puts her teen boys in Little Lord Fauntleroy suits I will call child protective services....... not children should have to go through that ;)

Theres different rules for the theater, lounge areas, and MDR. Dress code was more strictly enforced in MDR than in theater. Anyone who was on the April 03 sailing and saw "Slim" at the show knows what Im talking about!

There seems to be a story there....... what was "slim" wearing?

What is smart casual? Is jeans at all allowed in the dining room in the evening?

Jeans are not permitted in the dining room according to Celebrity dress code...

Here is Celebrity's main page on dress codes, please note in the area under "Before Six" and you will see the jeans prohibition for MDR which was the question.

Please note: I am only answering the question, not expressing an opinion.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/whyceleb/heroSingleTxtSub.do;jsessionid=0000w4i49bpa6pnDzixnnsV08fw:12hdebebp?pagename=proper_dining_attire&cS=SIDENAV

Many people do not go online, so the info they get is from their pre-cruise mail. It does not prohibit jeans, as quoted earlier. On each of our last few cruises, we have seen many people in jeans (no rips or tears) and they have looked very appropriate.

Jeans are not permitted in the dining room according to Celebrity dress code...

Here is Celebrity's main page on dress codes, please note in the area under "Before Six" and you will see the jeans prohibition for MDR which was the question.

Please note: I am only answering the question, not expressing an opinion.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/whyceleb/heroSingleTxtSub.do;jsessionid=0000w4i49bpa6pnDzixnnsV08fw:12hdebebp?pagename=proper_dining_attire&cS=SIDENAV

You will need three types of clothing on your Celebrity cruise: casual shipboard attire or day wear, conservative port wear and eveningwear.

Daywear includes slacks or pants, blouses or shirts, knit tops or polo shirts. Bring a pair of sneakers or rubber-soled shoes for deck sports and a swimsuit cover-up for cool areas on the ship.

Port wear for women includes a casual dress, skirt and blouse, or pants outfit; for men, casual pants or walking shorts, and polo-type shirts. Comfortable walking shoes are a must.

Also, remember to bring extra bathing suits, as well as sun block, sun visors and other types of sun protection.

Cruise Length Smart Casual and AboveFormal4 Night315 Night416 Night517 Night528 Night629 Night7210 Night8211 Night9212 Night9313 Night10314 Night11315 Night123

Examples of "Smart Casual and Above" and "Formal" attire include:

Smart Casual and Above

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) complemented by sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

Formal

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown or dressy pantsuit

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks

no mention of jeans under the faq dress code area. Saw plenty of nice jeans on smart casual nights.

Many people do not go online...

OH YAH! WHO??

Celebrity still mails cruise docs? How quaint! (Won't be long.)

So - those jeans are still causing an uproar eh? Is it the external rear pocket? (No. Plenty of cotton pants have those...) The stiching? (That might be it.) Ah Hah! It's those little copper rivets! (No, wait - some [cheesy brands] don't have those...)

Stitching has it!:D

I JUST LOVE CLOTHS THREADS!! (Makes me appreciate that insanity is in fact common place)

You will need three types of clothing on your Celebrity cruise: casual shipboard attire or day wear, conservative port wear and eveningwear.

Daywear includes slacks or pants, blouses or shirts, knit tops or polo shirts. Bring a pair of sneakers or rubber-soled shoes for deck sports and a swimsuit cover-up for cool areas on the ship.

Port wear for women includes a casual dress, skirt and blouse, or pants outfit; for men, casual pants or walking shorts, and polo-type shirts. Comfortable walking shoes are a must.

no mention of jeans under the faq dress code area. Saw plenty of nice jeans on smart casual nights.

So you're telling me I need to wear 'conservative' port wear... no liberal port wear. What the H is 'conservative' port wear... 'polo-type' shirts. But I don't like polo shirts; Oxford style button down is unacceptable... Now I am confused. What business is it of the line what I wear in port?

Oh - but I can wear jeans? Is that with polo shirts only or does a button down pass?:D

Also, remember to bring extra bathing suits, as well as sun block, sun visors and other types of sun protection.

Cruise Length Smart Casual and AboveFormal4 Night315 Night416 Night517 Night528 Night629 Night7210 Night8211 Night9212 Night9313 Night10314 Night11315 Night123

Examples of "Smart Casual and Above" and "Formal" attire include:

Smart Casual and Above

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

Formal

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown or dressy pantsuit

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks

As I stated I was not expressing an opinion, only supplying the web link to Celebrity's MAIN page on dress codes not an faq area...I am and have been aware what is on the faq area, even have it bookmarked.....

Archived