princess daphne

seabourndt

Hi Debra,

From what I understood on my cruise back in Jan/Feb, the staff's contracts were for this cruising season, which finished when the ship returned to Singapore after the final Asian cruise and they were to fly home. Then the ship was to return to Europe. There was mention that the next cruising would be with Russian passengers. This was from some of the crew, but they did seem a little vague about it, so don't know if it's correct or not.

Hi Debra,

It's me again. The following link to marinetraffic.com will show you exactly where the Princess Daphne is today, 26/4.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?mmsi=255718000&centerx=31.64787&centery=34.51786&zoom=10&type_color=6

Thanks for that Crustycruiser, what a brilliant site. I shall follow it for a while and see where she goes.

Debra

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone out there is still checking here and is interested in where Princess Daphne is sailing, I have found this site and had it Google translated. The crew were right when they said they were to be having Russian passengers. If you click on 'cruises', you will get details from July to October, although the later ones are in the Mediterranean.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&u=http://www.mkruiz.ru/ship/princessdaphne/index.html&ei=f53XTeS5CobyvwO1js2yBw&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBsQ7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3D%25D0%259F%25D1%2580%25D0%25B8%25D0%25BD%25D1%2586%25D0%25B5%25D1%2581%25D1%2581%25D0%25B0%2B%25D0%2594%25D0%25B0%25D1%2584%25D0%25BD%25D0%25B0%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3DId5%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official%26channel%3Dnp%26prmd%3Divns

Incidently, that marine traffic website was initially thanks to Matmar in March. I've found it extremely interesting.

Hi

We've booked the Christmas/New Year cruise on the Princess Daphne - one thing we've noticed in the various reviews is that the film channel isn't very good. We're going to bring a laptop, but wondered if we could bring a DVD player and plug it in to the TV - anyone notice if there was a scart socket at the back? Sorry if it's a bit of a random question, but that's what Cruisecritic is for!!!

And is there somewhere on the site you can start a rollcall? I'm not very sure how to go about it!

Bryan

• 4 weeks later...
Hi

We've booked the Christmas/New Year cruise on the Princess Daphne - one thing we've noticed in the various reviews is that the film channel isn't very good. We're going to bring a laptop, but wondered if we could bring a DVD player and plug it in to the TV - anyone notice if there was a scart socket at the back? Sorry if it's a bit of a random question, but that's what Cruisecritic is for!!!

And is there somewhere on the site you can start a rollcall? I'm not very sure how to go about it!

Bryan

Bryan - you probably could bring on a DVD player -The tv in our cabin seemed to be fairly old, unfortunately we didnt take any notice of outlets at the back of the tv. Could your travel agent not enquire on your behalf to the shipping line?

happy g

Hi Bryan,

As happyg said, the TV sets were old style - at least back in Jan/Feb - and, while scart sockets have been around for a long time, I have to say that it's not something I checked out. However, I'm sure CIC UK could advise you on the situation.

I hope you are able to start a rollcall for your cruise. Afraid I don't know the answer to that either (I didn't find this site until after my cruise). Although there certainly was interaction on this site between quite a few people who were sailing on the last couple of Asian cruises.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
We have booked at Christmas & New Year leaving Falmouth for 16 days, bit concerned with the poor reviews, nothing recently??

Has anyone had any updates or is it as bad as the reviews(probably a silly question)!!!:):(

Hi

I've been watching this post for a while to see if anyone else answered but as they haven't I'll have a go.

We were on the Princess Daphne in March from Hong Kong to Japan and back and I must admit I was a bit concerned before we went having read some poor reviews on here and elsewhere. However, once we got on board we were pleasantly surprised in lots of ways. The cabins and bathrooms are quite large, some have been refurbished although ours was a bit tired but perfectly OK, and kept spotlessly clean by the steward. We had no problems at all with our air conditioning but I know others did. The food was lovely and the service was excellent. The staff always seemed cheerful and willing to help. I think there were major problems earlier in the season but it did seem as if they had done their best to deal with most of them. It's certainly not 5 star luxury, more like 3 star I suppose, but we had a great holiday, quite an adventure in fact, and I would definitely go back.

Also, I think the reason there are no current reviews is that it has Russian passengers at the moment so any reviews are probably on a Russian forum somewhere!

If you have any other questions I'll keep watching and do my best to answer.

Debra

Hi Debra, thats brilliant, often think that those who enjoyed a holiday often don't tell others!!

We are joining 4 friends, they booked a while ago we were a bit concerned with the reviews and that it's a great great price for 16 days over Christmas and New Year with New Year in Madeira!!

At least our expectations are so high so we know what to expect also are friends are great fun so will always make the best of things.

Thanks again for you post;)

Should have said ' Our Expectations are not high'!!

Hi

I think that's the best way and then I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised!

I looked at the itinerary on the Classic International Cruises website and it looks really good, lots of interesting places. Madeira is one of my favourite places ever! Would love to be there to see the New Year fireworks.

Debra

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Eurovisionfan,

Way back in May, you asked about starting a roll call for your Christmas/New Year cruise. If you haven't found it already, this site may help you (Cruise Critic Message Board > Roll Call) , although I couldn't see any at a quick look for the Princess or CIC (checked under 'All Other Cruise Lines', first page only as there are 51 pages...) and a search only showed up the message board entries.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34

It seems you have to be logged in to get to it. I found it when I was looking for the Vollendam cruise which I am going on from 4th Jan.

And to chacewater,

I would go back on the Daphne in an instant if she was sailing this way again. Sure she is showing her age, but it is the people you meet, the staff and crew who take care of you, and the attitude YOU take on board that are the most important things - to me, anyway. Many folk are expecting a 5 star ship for a 3 star price. Doesn't work like that. The Daphne is a spotlessly clean, smooth sailing vessel and I loved the time I spent on board. It's not unusual for something to go amiss on any ship/cruise - it's part of the journey - and I guess the age of the Princess makes her more prone to some sorts of mishaps. In the 80's I was sailing (7 times) on the Alexandr Pushkin (now the Marco Polo) and often there would be trouble with the airconditioning or the plumbing, but the atmosphere on this ship was so fantastic that we didn't care too much about any inconveniences we bore. Daphne, to me, is the same. She is only small, but I have sailed on smaller, and as is said of her, she represents the older style 'classic' way of cruising.

I do hope you all enjoy your time aboard. I envy you.

Thanks Crustycruiser,

Reassuring comments most helpful, we understand is an old ship with associated issues, but what attracted to the trip is that it's a small compact ship and the price is brilliant £1000 16 days Xmas & New Year, so not expecting everything!

Thanks again:)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Eurovisionfan,

Good to hear from you, it's such a good deal for the Xmas period we have become a bit sceptical, but some of the oats are reassuring.

We are boarding at Falmouth, assume because of ' Birmingham' Portsmouth would be your point of departure!

Hi

Nice to know that someone else is actually on this cruise and it's not just a figment of our imagination! I didn't know that you could board at Falmouth - is it calling into Falmouth again on the way back? Or do you have to get off at Portsmouth?

We booked via Page and Moy which is a shame as had we booked direct, we'd have got £100 OBC for booking so early.

It's a completely different cruise to our last one - our hopes aren't all that high, but looking at different reviews (there are a lot on holidaycheck.com) - I think we need to go with a large sense of humour and take things with a pinch of salt!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

Nice to know that someone else is actually on this cruise and it's not just a figment of our imagination! I didn't know that you could board at Falmouth - is it calling into Falmouth again on the way back? Or do you have to get off at Portsmouth?

We booked via Page and Moy which is a shame as had we booked direct, we'd have got £100 OBC for booking so early.

It's a completely different cruise to our last one - our hopes aren't all that high, but looking at different reviews (there are a lot on holidaycheck.com) - I think we need to go with a large sense of humour and take things with a pinch of salt!

Hi Eurovisionfan,

Good to hear from you again, would think at the price the ship will be quite full.

Portsmouth board first then we get on at Falmouth, on the way home it stops at Portsmouth first then Falmouth.

We booked via 'Newells travel' a local firm in Cornwall,they offered bookings made before 1st March £100 per cabin spend and free parking at gFalmouth docks.

We cruised the Nile 3 years ago just 100 people best ever!! So hopefully a small ship is going to be far better than the herding around on the massive ships.

Madeira for New Years is suppose to be brilliant!

Hi

We booked via Page and Moy. No £100 OBC nor any free parking. And a 2% credit card charge. You live and learn...

And when I looked into the parking, it seems to be £10 a day at Portsmouth dock, which means an additional £170. Ouch.

But still very much looking forward to it!

• 3 weeks later...
Hi

We booked via Page and Moy. No £100 OBC nor any free parking. And a 2% credit card charge. You live and learn...

And when I looked into the parking, it seems to be £10 a day at Portsmouth dock, which means an additional £170. Ouch.

But still very much looking forward to it!

Sounds a lot to park the car!!

We also paid a fee to pay by credit card, whilst the travel agent said that the cruise line is fully protected and a debit card would be O.K. Suffered the card charge just in case!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
CRUISE CANCELLED, lack of bookings, they say.

We have been offered other cruises not sure what to do!!

Bit of a shock!!:mad:

Only found out this afternoon - well, they did ring on Friday but we were away for the weekend! What have you been offered - best Page & Moy seem to be able to come up with is the Marco Polo (same price, two days less, and much inferior itinerary).

Archived