princess daphne

seabourndt

Hi,

I need some help. There seems to be some conflicting information between CIC brochure on the PD and what our cruiser friends are posting.

Can someone please advise of the following questions

1. Dress code for the dining room (not on formal nights) in the evening for men and women (is it only skirts or dresses for ladies or can we wear pants?) My friend seesm to believe that if we don't wear skirst or dresses every night we will be refused entry.

2. Do they also have a bufett dinner option every night?

3. Do they charge to bring your Continental breafast to your room? (CIC brochure states all meals are paid for)

Thanks in advance

Hi kruzermun

Dinning room dress code is men long pants and colar shirt women dresses or pants every night.:mad:

There is no bufett dinner just one siting in the resturant.:mad:

They do charge to bring continental breakfast to your room.:mad:

Hi Everyone!!

We are looking forward to our March cruise this year. In the process of getting our Chinese visas organised and the packing is finished!! This will be our second time with Classic and if it is a good as the Funchal (the Flu Ship) from 5 years ago, then we know that we are in for a treat!!

Take care out there, Shayne and Lea

Hi kruzermun

Dinning room dress code is men long pants and colar shirt women dresses or pants every night.:mad:

There is no bufett dinner just one siting in the resturant.:mad:

They do charge to bring continental breakfast to your room.:mad:

Thanks jimmy!

I'm just waiting waiting waiting for the current guys on the cruise to get back to us with a report. I have two things going through my head, No make that three.

1. they are having such a fabulous time and are thiking no need to write this is brilliant and they'll post in a few days.

2. It bloody dreadful and they don't want to rub even more salt into our bleeding wounds with more negativity (seeing as refunds are impossible at this stage)

3) they have no access to the internet, it's down for some reason.

Oh dear.......................:rolleyes:

As I just mentioned to a friend:), I am going to buy a fabulous bottle of French bubbly or 2 when I hit Singapore, even sydney for that matter and really enjoy myself :D

Thanks jimmy!

I'm just waiting waiting waiting for the current guys on the cruise to get back to us with a report. I have two things going through my head, No make that three.

1. they are having such a fabulous time and are thiking no need to write this is brilliant and they'll post in a few days.

2. It bloody dreadful and they don't want to rub even more salt into our bleeding wounds with more negativity (seeing as refunds are impossible at this stage)

3) they have no access to the internet, it's down for some reason.

:D

Hello everybody

Am hoping it's 1 but fear it's probably 2 or 3! (or maybe they just decided to wait a few days before commenting)

Anyway, has anybody going on the 6th March cruise booked any shore excursions yet? I've just received the list and booking form and find them very expensive but we were hoping to do an excursion in every port so will just have to pay up I guess. Am rather loathe to give them more of my money based on current reviews but if anyone has any advice I would be really grateful.

Thanks in advance

Debra

Hi All

We are on the Japanese Delights cruise out of Hong Kong 6/03/2011 and have submitted our passports to get visas for the port of Shanghai where the ship will tie up for about 14 hours. It seems a bit idiotic just for just a short time but the Cruise Co will not let anyone on the ship with out the proper information etc.

Also to those people who were inquiring about tours. Email reservations at CIC and they will send you a list of tours and prices.

Now with Christmas and New Year out of the way the count down is really on till the 6th March. Actually we will be leaving home on the 1st March and will have 4 nights in Hong Kong before setting sail on the Daphne.

Don Barnes

Hi Everyone,

We haven't seen the prices for the shore excursions yet, but we will probably book a few anyway as we haven't been to China or Japan before and will probably feel safer with an organised tour. We are doing back to back cruises on the Daphne and we have been given instructions on where to go in Vietnam to get the tailor made clothes done (do the measurements and have the clothes shipped home!!). Shayne is keen to do as much as possible while on shore so we will probably see about doing morning and afternoon tours if we can fit it in.

Take care and there and have fun!!!! Shayne and Lea

I was in the process of booking our cruise leaving 23rd March from Hongkong to Singapore via Vietnam on the Princess Daphne but I think after reading your reviews i will cancel. They are holding our booking until

tomorrow so I am glad I came to read these reviews. :confused:

To all those people who are still going on the cruise who have already paid can you please review so we can see if things have improved. Back to the drawing board to decide where to go now don't have much time to organise.

Bye cruise buddies

While in Vietnam we did the Meekong and Tunnel tour. Both we enjoyed but they are long. Prices vary because of the strong Australian Dollar, but allocate around $100 AUD per tour. Can I also suggest urgently while in Vietnam, be very careful when heading into the city. Gentlemen under no circumstance put your wallet in your back pocket, and Ladies, please do not wear any jewlery or a handbag in your hands. You face 100000+ motorbikes while crossing roads and it so easy for them to grab your bags. One of the passengers on the New Year Cruise got his wallet stolen by a Taxi Driver in Vietnam, and one Lady on the Boat got all her jewellery ripped of her neck while crossing a busy road.

We are booked from Hong Kong to Singapore on the 23 March and we are looking forward to it. what has to happen is that the positive need to be more than the negatives.

Tend to agree but hope that some of the 'negative' points can be resolved before our cruise. As a matter of interest, have you booked any tours as yet from CIC?

happy g (Lynne)

Tend to agree but hope that some of the 'negative' points can be resolved before our cruise. As a matter of interest, have you booked any tours as yet from CIC?

happy g (Lynne)

We sailed Adelaide - Hobart - Adelaide on the Athena and were most impressed. Old ship but clean and crew courteous, food good. Nice to be sailing with a small group. The Athena has a max of 600 passengers.

Bob

Just thought I'd let you all know, in case you hadn't already seen it, that there's a new review (in English) on the holidaycheck website.

The condition of the ship is a bit of a worry but the food and service got excellent marks so that's a relief! Personally I'm not too worried about the entertainment but would have liked a decent swimming pool.

Anyway, I'm looking on the bright side and being positive :D and look forward to seeing some of you on the 6th March. For those of you going on the 24th January cruise, I hope you have a lovely time and come back and tell us fantastic things!

Debra

Hi Everyone,

Just to let you know that I have bought a few books at the op shop, so once I have read them during our 6/3 and 23/3 cruises, I can just about double the PD library stock single-handed LOL !

42 sleeps to go!

Regards, Lesley and Des

Hi everyone - I am new to this site & we have booked our first ever cruise on the Princess Daphne out of Singapore on 20th February. After reading some of the reviews I am getting rather worried. I hope some of the people booked on the January cruise get back with some positive reviews. I think our cabin is down in the bowels of the ship too. We did pay extra (quite a bit too) for a porthole that turns out to be just above the waterline. I feel dreadful that I have asked some friends to come with us. My Husband says to stay positive so I am trying. Will keep you all posted.

Goldies

Just thought I'd let you all know, in case you hadn't already seen it, that there's a new review (in English) on the holidaycheck website.

The condition of the ship is a bit of a worry but the food and service got excellent marks so that's a relief! Personally I'm not too worried about the entertainment but would have liked a decent swimming pool.

Anyway, I'm looking on the bright side and being positive :D and look forward to seeing some of you on the 6th March. For those of you going on the 24th January cruise, I hope you have a lovely time and come back and tell us fantastic things!

Debra

Goldies....

Don't be worried... don't feel dreadful..... every cruise has it's own experience!!! Look on the bright side.... no cooking for a while, no cleaning for a while.... and look at all the wonderful people you will meet!!!! We hope you have a wonderful time and cruise well!!!

Matilda (Lesley)... glad to hear you are bringing some opshop books, thats what I did on the Funchal a few years ago... brought them on, read them and left them in the library!! Great idea!! Hope lots of other people do the same thing, then we can more than increase that library by tenfold!!!!!

Take care out there, Lea and Shayne

Debandjo,

What is the address for this review?? I went to holidaycheck, but the info wasn't great and couldn't find the review.

See you on the 6th March!!!! Have a wonderful time until then!!!!

First Cruise (Shayne and Lea)

Hi first cruise

The website address is www.holidaycheck.com. If you then enter Princess Daphne in the search box it'll give you a list of various Daphnes, just scroll down a bit and you'll see the cruise section and it's the top one at the moment. There are also lots of other reviews but they're all in German although if you use Google translate you can get a rough idea of what they say.

Another way to find it is if you Google "princess daphne cruise review" - this should give you a list with lots of holidaycheck links.

Anway, I hope you find it - there may even be more English reviews added as people gradually return.

Look forward to seeing you - not long now!:D

Debra

I am also interested to find out what currency to take. We have been told that US dollars are best to have in Vietnam but I did read the review that said they were useless on the Princess Daphne. We were also told that our Vietnam visas would not be posted to us, that they would have them on the ship. Does anyone know if this is correct.

Goldies

I am also interested to find out what currency to take. We have been told that US dollars are best to have in Vietnam but I did read the review that said they were useless on the Princess Daphne. We were also told that our Vietnam visas would not be posted to us, that they would have them on the ship. Does anyone know if this is correct.

Goldies

Our travel agent told us to take some passport photos with us as the ship does the visas for vietnam on board -we are taking 3 photos each. still keen to hear from cruisers re currency on board.

cheers lynne

Well hi all,

We have literally just got off the Daphne following the 13th January departure and here is our opinion.

Good:

Food - quality, taste and presentation

Staff - very friendly and helpful

Company - mostly outgoing aussies, the average age on the boat was about 55-60.

Average:

Day Trips - same locations different country :p temples temples temples

Condition of Daphne

Entertainment

Below Average:

Taking the tender into ports - most were sea sick following this

Toilets blocking twice

Variety of food available (for those who prefer red meat)

Men having to wear pants to dinner every night when women walk in in shorts, singlets and sandles.

All in all, I would say if you have booked, you will have a wonderful time, the company was predominantly australian with most of those being from WA which ended up being a bit of a joke. If you have any questions please feel free to ask, I am happy to answer.

In regards to the issues Kiwi raised on his cruise, it would appear that they have worked hard to address many of these. There were some minor air con problems, however, anyone with an issue was upgraded immediately. There were only 170 people on our cruise, so plenty of room to shuffle rooms, they actually considered cancelling our cruise apparently due to the lack of numbers!

Ok, well I must make the most of my day in singapore, I hope my info is of some use to you.

Cheers

Cruizerofperth

On board everything is credited to your room account. You may then pay for this in cash or via credit card on the final day. For the remainder of that day until you reach port you pay in aussie dollars. Everything on the boat is charged in AUD. Be aware of what you are spending, someone was in a bit of trouble when they did not have enough on their credit card at the end of the trip to pay their bill!!

It is so good to hear from someone who has just travelled on the Daphne. I am departing Singapore on 20th February & have been trying to stay positive. I am really looking forward to it. A couple of questions. What currency to take & was there money exchange on the ship & also did they have your visas on the ship.

Goldies

Glad to hear this review as it look like things have really improved so I am now lokking forward to my cruise on the 20th Feb also hope you enjoy Singapore and once again thanks for the review

Archived