princess daphne

seabourndt

Hi Goldies

You only need to take Aussie Dollars with you, there was a currency exchange person who come onto the ship at each port for us. The ship took care of all visa's however you were required to bring one passport sized photo for either vietnam or cambodia, I don't recall which for sure at the minute.

Hi cruizerofperth

Many thanks for all the informationis greatly appreciated, one other question if you don't mind, do they accept travellers cheques aussie or otherwise on the ship?

Just getting oneself sorted for what I hope will be a great trip.

many thanks Arragon.

In regards to travellers cheques I cannot confirm it as I did not ask, however, there was no signage indicating that you could use them nor did anyone that I am aware off pay with them. Sorry I cannot be of more help with that one. Opshop will be home later tonight and may be able to assist in the next day or so.

Hi again - I am surprised that we haven't seen a review from anyone else that has returned from their Princess Daphne cruise. Can anyone tell me what you do about ironing your clothes as I have read that you aren't allowed to take a travel iron. Being on the ship for 14 days I am sure something will need ironing.

Goldies

Hi Goldies,

Definitely not allowed to take a travel iron on board, it is considered a fire hazard to have these in individual rooms. They do offer a laundry and ironing service which is a bit costly. It is not possible to leave feedback whilst actually on board as although you can read cruise critic, posting anthing to cruise critic is blocked. Internet is also rather expensive onboard and very slow 100 minutes 32.95 and will loose a good portion of this connecting and waiting for pages to open (it is satelite internet so this is understandable). A number of Aussies on board were taking consequtive cruises so they will not be in a position to post until they get off in another week or so. Some others, were having a few days elsewhere and may not be home. Yet others, like me, may have developed a very nasty cold/chest infection or similar and may not be up to posting anything as yet. :o

Unfortunately a fairly large number of people come on board with coughs and colds. On board there was anti bacterial hand wash EVERYWHERE and people were requested to use them before getting on the ship following day tours, before eating and the usuals like toilets etc and there were dispencers at almost every stairwell, however, it had little effect as people were often sneezing and coughing into their hands and then serving themselves at the buffet at breakfast, one elderly gentlemen literally sneezed OVER breakfast (no we didn't eat anything anywhere near him that day;)). It was not, I believe, an issue with the ship as such, rather that people who were unwell made the trip, everyone else was a captive petri dish given the air conditioning and limited capacity to get away from them! That said, there were plenty of people, including my husband, who has walked away perfectly healthy, I personally am just susceptible to things like this. A couple of more days, and all will be good!:rolleyes:

I have broused this sight so many times and have read every thread of evidence of the Princess Daphne. So we have decided to make the best of it. I have learnt in the past not to go on board expecting Cunard standards and have ended up being pleasantly surprised.

We are on the 6th March cruise and may be we could meet up for a drink or something on board and have a good old winge. We are determined to make the best of it and concentrate on the ports of call. The itinerary looks great. Like I said we are not expecting Cunard standard and it won't kill us.

Was on the Pacific Dawn out of Brisbane in January last and expected to experience the usual P&O standard but was horribly dissappointed enough to not book P&O again. Wanting an Asian cruise this year we were even wary of the Arcadia and Oriana, so we decided on the Daphne.

As for the dress code. All ships have a dress code for the dining room and it is up to the line to enforce it. On formal nights evening wear and other nights smart casual which for women is coctail evening wear and for men collared shirt and slackes. That is not so much to ask. Be thankful.

A friend of ours was on the QE2 crossing the Atalntic a few years ago and had to wear a dinner suit every night.

My advice to all is go and make an effort to enjoy it. All ships have rules and it payes to adhere to them. Some times the weather is bad and water gets into the ships. That is an act of nature and not the shipping lines' fault. If the food is bad we will survive. So I advise everyone: go on board not expecting Cunard and I am sure we will have a good time.

Bon Voyage to all

Don Barnes

Hear Hear Don Barnes!!

Well said!! That is a great attitude and we are looking forward to meeting you on the March 6th cruise.... we are counting down the days!!

Shayne and Lea (First Cruise)

Hi All I am sorry for the delay to let you know my thoughts of the Daphne. Well here goes I went in with positive thoughts after what i read on this forum.I have to say it has its ups and downs. I agree with what cruizeroferth was saying. The food was average entertainment was a bit unprofesional. But as far as the staff goes we couldnt fault them they were so freindly. Especialy Adriana in the atlantic bar she was the best.All i can say is if you are looking for the big ship expeiance you wont get it here so dont go on the Daphne it is a small ship with not a lot to do so take plenty of books with you. If there is any thing else you would like to know just ask and oh i took a travel iron with me as long as you remember to switch it of you should be okey. all of you have a great time. opshop.

Hi All I am sorry for the delay to let you know my thoughts of the Daphne. Well here goes I went in with positive thoughts after what i read on this forum.I have to say it has its ups and downs. I agree with what cruizeroferth was saying. The food was average entertainment was a bit unprofesional. But as far as the staff goes we couldnt fault them they were so freindly. Especialy Adriana in the atlantic bar she was the best.All i can say is if you are looking for the big ship expeiance you wont get it here so dont go on the Daphne it is a small ship with not a lot to do so take plenty of books with you. If there is any thing else you would like to know just ask and oh i took a travel iron with me as long as you remember to switch it of you should be okey. all of you have a great time. opshop.

I have broused this sight so many times and have read every thread of evidence of the Princess Daphne. So we have decided to make the best of it. I have learnt in the past not to go on board expecting Cunard standards and have ended up being pleasantly surprised.

We are on the 6th March cruise and may be we could meet up for a drink or something on board and have a good old winge. We are determined to make the best of it and concentrate on the ports of call. The itinerary looks great. Like I said we are not expecting Cunard standard and it won't kill us.

Was on the Pacific Dawn out of Brisbane in January last and expected to experience the usual P&O standard but was horribly dissappointed enough to not book P&O again. Wanting an Asian cruise this year we were even wary of the Arcadia and Oriana, so we decided on the Daphne.

As for the dress code. All ships have a dress code for the dining room and it is up to the line to enforce it. On formal nights evening wear and other nights smart casual which for women is coctail evening wear and for men collared shirt and slackes. That is not so much to ask. Be thankful.

A friend of ours was on the QE2 crossing the Atalntic a few years ago and had to wear a dinner suit every night.

My advice to all is go and make an effort to enjoy it. All ships have rules and it payes to adhere to them. Some times the weather is bad and water gets into the ships. That is an act of nature and not the shipping lines' fault. If the food is bad we will survive. So I advise everyone: go on board not expecting Cunard and I am sure we will have a good time.

Bon Voyage to all

Don Barnes

Well said Don Barnes. It's what you make of it and your fellow cruisers attitude has a great bearing on your attitude. Please be nice to me on board.

Hi all from balmy Yangon.

What a SENSATIONAL ship! and we are having a fabulous time!!!

We have only positives to say about the staff, food and service. 'No' we are not first time cruisers we have sailed on luxury liners and chose the Daphne for it's 'classic cruising' experience. No it's not a 5 star ship(aestheically),so don't book if that's what you want! The food however, is 5STAR:) (I have just re located from a culinary training institution at CIT in ACT)and the service is exceptional. I have seen no evidence of any of the past complaints on board our time here. My friend whom our families are travelling togethor (we met on the Dawn Princess in 2009) sit up on the deck with our cocktails and look at eachother in amazement and wonder what planet were those past cruisers from, to bag out this splendid ship and staff with such distain. Absolutely everything has been dreamy for us. We are travelling with 3 young children (only kids on the ship) and they are treated like royalty by the staff. the staff are varying nationalities mostly from Ukraine and Portugal, Bali and have a sweet heir of almost EUROVISION innocence about them, always very accommodating and eager to please.

Cabins are clean and spacious, kept in prisitne condition by the stewards. I have menu's to post, they are exceptional. The head chef Joseph is a credit to his culinary delights...I have no idea why people would liken the food to SPAM, utter rubbish! I will write again. People looking to cruise with this company and ship, go ahead and do it, it's magic! :):):):)

Hi all from balmy Yangon.

What a SENSATIONAL ship! and we are having a fabulous time!!!

We have only positives to say about the staff, food and service. 'No' we are not first time cruisers we have sailed on luxury liners and chose the Daphne for it's 'classic cruising' experience. No it's not a 5 star ship(aestheically),so don't book if that's what you want! The food however, is 5STAR:) (I have just re located from a culinary training institution at CIT in ACT)and the service is exceptional. I have seen no evidence of any of the past complaints on board our time here. My friend whom our families are travelling togethor (we met on the Dawn Princess in 2009) sit up on the deck with our cocktails and look at eachother in amazement and wonder what planet were those past cruisers from, to bag out this splendid ship and staff with such distain. Absolutely everything has been dreamy for us. We are travelling with 3 young children (only kids on the ship) and they are treated like royalty by the staff. the staff are varying nationalities mostly from Ukraine and Portugal, Bali and have a sweet heir of almost EUROVISION innocence about them, always very accommodating and eager to please.

Cabins are clean and spacious, kept in prisitne condition by the stewards. I have menu's to post, they are exceptional. The head chef Joseph is a credit to his culinary delights...I have no idea why people would liken the food to SPAM, utter rubbish! I will write again. People looking to cruise with this company and ship, go ahead and do it, it's magic! :):):):)

Hi it is great to hear some positive reviews I am glad that you are having a wonderful time I am looking forward to my cruiose on 29th

Feb now

y

So glad to hear that you are having such a great time, Kruzermum.

Only 33 sleeps until we leave for the 6/3 and 23/3 cruises.

Looking forward to meeting you, Arragon, Debandjo, Don Barnes, Bakbran, Happyg, and Bobsmith. Anyone else? Oh yes, Firstcruise, of course.

From Lesley (Matilda)

Thanks Kruzermum

You've really made my day now:D. It's great to hear some really positive comments for once - I was starting to get worried about the money I'd spent and not really looking forward to it but now I can't wait!!! Thank you so much.

Hope you have a great time on the remainder of your cruise and I look forward to further posts - have a cocktail for me!

Debra

So glad to hear that you are having such a great time, Kruzermum.

Only 33 sleeps until we leave for the 6/3 and 23/3 cruises.

Looking forward to meeting you, Arragon, Debandjo, Don Barnes, Bakbran, Happyg, and Bobsmith. Anyone else? Oh yes, Firstcruise, of course.

From Lesley (Matilda)

Look forward to meeting on the 23rd Matilda

Cheers....Bob Smith

Thank you so much for the wonderful feedback. We are on the 20th February cruise & I must admit I was a bit worried. It is our first cruise & we deliberately chose to go on a smaller ship. I had emailed CIC & they got back to me & said that the problems had been fixed. We are really looking forward to it now. Thanks again & enjoy the rest of your cruise

Goldies

Hi all you 6/3 Cruisers

If you are interested we could arange something of a get to gether one day somehere on the ship. If anyone is interested We are are in Cabin 716( I know! I know! if we haven't been drowned with the water rushing in or I haven't expired wiht the lack of the A/C. We were thinjking of an upgrade in light of the reviews but haven't seen this cruise advertised so think it is booked out. Anyway if any of those things go wrong they will have to fix them or they will hear me in Lisbon. Don't worry I am not a grumpy old man. I don't bite. I promise to behave my self. I don't like paying thousands of dollars and finding things like leaking water and A/C problems. P&O shudder when they see my name on the passenger list.

So CIC may as well suffer as well. Anyway if you want to meet up for a drink or something slip a message to the cabin.

Also thank you Kruzermum for the positive and refreshing feed back.

Happy Cruising to all

Don Barnes

We are in cabin 707 for 6/3 and 23/3 cruises. I have looked it up, and we are very close to each other.

A get together would be a good idea. Failing that, we will be easy to spot. We will be the ones trying to win all the trivia quizzes! LOL

Regards, Lesley and Des (Matilda)

PS HappyG - no, we haven't booked any ship tours yet. We haven't seen the prices yet, just the description of the tours. From reading up on what others have done etc, Vietnam ports seem pretty easy to do on your own, by taxi if necessary.

Can anyone let me know what the regulation is into taking alcohol on board. In the original book we got from the travel agent it said that 1 litre of alcohol per cabin was allowed on board. I have just picked up our tickets etc & it says absolutely no alcohol to be taken on board. Also are you allowed to take soft drinks or does everything have to be purchased on board.

goldies

We are in cabin 707 for 6/3 and 23/3 cruises. I have looked it up, and we are very close to each other.

A get together would be a good idea. Failing that, we will be easy to spot. We will be the ones trying to win all the trivia quizzes! LOL

Regards, Lesley and Des (Matilda)

PS HappyG - no, we haven't booked any ship tours yet. We haven't seen the prices yet, just the description of the tours. From reading up on what others have done etc, Vietnam ports seem pretty easy to do on your own, by taxi if necessary.

Greetings Neighbour

Have just looked your cabin up on the deck plan and you are nearly oposite our door. Looking forward to meeting you. I hope the weather is good. We haven't received our tickets yet so I still presume we are in 716. If there is a change I will post our new cabin number. Sometimes one gets a totally different cabin to the one on the original booking form.

So keep an eye on this site over the next three weeks. Gosh! just over three weeks till we leave. We ar ehaving four nights at the Holiday Inn Golden Mile on Nathan Rd H/K before boarding the Daphne.

Hope to catch up on board.

Don Barnes

According to the brochure we have. we are allowed 1 litre of liquor per cabin. However the CIC web site says" absolutly no alcohol." I am inclined to believe the web site, as the last ship I was allowed to take liquor on board was the old Oriana in 1986. All the ships I have been on over the past ten years, NO ALCOHOL. They make a lot of money selling liquor in the bars and do not want anything to spoil that.

Don Barnes

Archived