best way to pack diapers?

NJfoodie

We're trying to figure out the best way to pack DS's diapers given that we'll have quite a bit of stuff with us (DH was never one to pack light before we had a baby, much less now!) I was thinking of sticking one of the luggage tags to a box of diapers and having the porters deliver it with the rest of our luggage, keeping just the first day's worth in our carry-on diaper bag. I was hoping that would be the simplest route and would save on suitcase space. DH wanted to split up the box into each of our suitcases because he's worried that our 1 box might get lost and then we'd be stuck w/o any diapers for the week. Has anyone ever had this happen? Any other suggestions? We are driving to the port so we're not worried about dealing w/ how airlines would handle the amount of stuff we have.

I'd go with the luggage tag method myself, probably with a tag on every side except the bottom... they are virtually free after all. In our case, DW is afraid somebody will steal them. I suggested we write "DIRTY" on the side. Anyway, we'll probably pack them in a suitcase. (We are also driving to port... if we were flying we'd surely buy diapers in the port city and use just a luggage tag on the box.) I'm fairly sure they have some diapers for sale on the ship in the unlikely even they go missing.

Just a question, can we carry-on the box of diapers? We have 4 adults, plus baby coming so we have plenty of hands available. My wife is having the same concern with the porters losing baby supplies, so as much as she could carry on would make her feel better, lol.

I, too, would be really nervous that they would get lost or stolen on the way to the room. Lord, being stuck without diapers til we get to port, I am not sure what we would do! So... I think we are going to split the box into two suitcases.

For the peace of mind, I would definitely carry it on. You can make a 'handle' on it with packaging tape. Just run the packaging tape around the box while leaving the part on top 'sticking up' for a handle. Then wrap the packaging tape a few times around the 'handle' so it won't be sticky and 'voila!' you have a handle. Hope this is pretty clear. It's kind of hard to explain without a picture :)

I'd go with the luggage tag method myself, probably with a tag on every side except the bottom... they are virtually free after all. In our case, DW is afraid somebody will steal them. I suggested we write "DIRTY" on the side. Anyway, we'll probably pack them in a suitcase. (We are also driving to port... if we were flying we'd surely buy diapers in the port city and use just a luggage tag on the box.) I'm fairly sure they have some diapers for sale on the ship in the unlikely even they go missing.

Can you please tell me which lines/ships actually sell disposable diapers on board? I haven't heard of any doing this, but have read PLENTY of posts advising parents to bring plenty of them along. You can buy $$$$$ disposables at ports.....not so sure about on board the ship. If you're "fairly" sure, then you're not "really" sure.

Here's what I'd suggest: If flying, get a lightweight nylon duffle bag that can fold into itself and can be packed empty, and put it in your luggage. After arriving, on the way to the pier, buy the diapers and fill the duffle bag for boarding. After the cruise, refold the empty nylon duffle bag and put it in your luggage for the flight home. The Travel Agency I worked for actually sold these...all kinds of outside zipper pockets, and when folded, the handles fit inside, and the whole thing could be zipped up into a 6" X 8" little package. I still have it, and use it all the time as an extra suitcase, if I need it. Not so sure about putting cabin tags on boxes/packages of disposables. Too tempting for suddenly disappearing. In any event, bring the disposables with you!

If you are driving, then it would be easiest to just take the box with you. But, the porters may not take it, if it isn't in a suitcase.

Worst case scenario, is you get stuck carrying the box around until the rooms are ready.

You could do this or you could put the diapers in a duffel bag that is easy to carry. :) That way you don't have to worry about it getting lost. If you do hand it to the porters I would have enough diapers on my for 48 hrs (or your next cruise port) just in case.

Yes, they do sell some diapers on the ships. Trust me it's very limited. You would be lucky to find them in the correct size and definately not enough for the cruise.

Can you please tell me which lines/ships actually sell disposable diapers on board? I haven't heard of any doing this, but have read PLENTY of posts advising parents to bring plenty of them along. You can buy $$$$$ disposables at ports.....not so sure about on board the ship. If you're "fairly" sure, then you're not "really" sure.

Here's what I'd suggest: If flying, get a lightweight nylon duffle bag that can fold into itself and can be packed empty, and put it in your luggage. After arriving, on the way to the pier, buy the diapers and fill the duffle bag for boarding. After the cruise, refold the empty nylon duffle bag and put it in your luggage for the flight home. The Travel Agency I worked for actually sold these...all kinds of outside zipper pockets, and when folded, the handles fit inside, and the whole thing could be zipped up into a 6" X 8" little package. I still have it, and use it all the time as an extra suitcase, if I need it. Not so sure about putting cabin tags on boxes/packages of disposables. Too tempting for suddenly disappearing. In any event, bring the disposables with you!

There are certian lines that have programs where you can order supplies ahead of time. Diapers and other things too. I think Disney does this. But I don't know if every line does it, and it might be too costly for a lot of people. Plus, it's something you have to order ahead of time, not to be used in a pinch. I've never seen diapers being sold on ships. But maybe I just wasn't looking before.

Yes, they do sell some diapers on the ships. Trust me it's very limited. You would be lucky to find them in the correct size and definately not enough for the cruise.

I'm sure. And expensive, like the tiny variety of OTC drugs they have available.

I'm not suggesting to not bring diapers. I'm talking about the case where the diapers don't make it to the cabin. Not just a late bag delivery (which should be planned for when loading the diaper bag for carry on), but they never show up. I think that is a very unlikely occurrence, so I'm willing to take the miniscule risk of spending $50 on badly fitting diapers before we get to the first port.

I'm sure. And expensive, like the tiny variety of OTC drugs they have available.

I'm not suggesting to not bring diapers. I'm talking about the case where the diapers don't make it to the cabin. Not just a late bag delivery (which should be planned for when loading the diaper bag for carry on), but they never show up. I think that is a very unlikely occurrence, so I'm willing to take the miniscule risk of spending $50 on badly fitting diapers before we get to the first port.

Don't you take enough diapers in your carry-ons to last until you get to the first POC? Sorry - not understanding your posts. Why would you have to buy diapers on board (if there even are any for sale) if you have enough to last you until the first POC?

I like the duffle bag idea - that's what we did in Jan travelling with our 11 month old. I have an extra-large duffle bag that folds up pretty small. We were flying from Canada so I packed it in my suitcase, and when we got to Miami, I loaded up on diapers (ditched the box and just took the plastic bags inside), baby food and all the other stuff that we needed. I took 2 days worth of diapers and baby food in a carry on just in case the bag went missing, but it all made it without any problems. And then I re-filled it with the results of my shopping excursions and checked it through for the trip home :o

I like the duffle bag idea - that's what we did in Jan travelling with our 11 month old. I have an extra-large duffle bag that folds up pretty small. We were flying from Canada so I packed it in my suitcase, and when we got to Miami, I loaded up on diapers (ditched the box and just took the plastic bags inside), baby food and all the other stuff that we needed. I took 2 days worth of diapers and baby food in a carry on just in case the bag went missing, but it all made it without any problems. And then I re-filled it with the results of my shopping excursions and checked it through for the trip home :o

There ya go! I don't use my duffle for diapers, but I do use it when I visit DD in Oregon. Pack it empty, shop at Macy's/Nordstrom's/J Crew, etc. in Oregon without paying sales tax, fill up the bag, and check it in on SWA for no second bag charge. I've done this twice a year for quite awhile. That cheap nylon duffle bag can come in pretty handy!

What we intend to do is (a) take 2 days' worth in the diaper bag/carry ons, and (b) split up the remaining from the case of diapers among our suitcases (3 of them), utilizing the zippered compartments on the outside of the suitcases so that the diapers aren't taking up luggage space (you can get a lot more diapers in those outside zipper compartments than you think).

I've done lots of cruises with twins in diapers and never had a problem slapping luggage tags on the box and checking it with the rest of the luggage. If someone wanted to steal something, I'd think a box of diapers would be last on the list. But, that said, when we've flown, I've been able to split an entire box of diapers up into the outer pockets of all our suitcases. You'll be surprised how many can fit into those areas that aren't really good for most items - and they can't get hurt. I always brought way more than enough for the entire cruise - I've seen the parents who didn't and it's not a pretty sight when the gift shop has run out of their limited amount and there's still a sea day left before the end of the cruise.

If, for some reason you need more during the cruise though, in every port I've been to, the shops are smart and have supplies of diapers, feminine products, etc. that people need and the ship often runs out of. Of course, they're expensive and the selection is grim.

Best,

Mia

Best,

Mia

We've used the luggage tags on the box of diapers on both Royal Caribbean and Carnival lines and never had a problem. It was a porter with RC who convinced me to do this. He looked at me like I had lost my mind when I told him that the diapers stayed with me and we would carry them on the ship.

To this day, I wish I could find him and thank him for that advice. It was invaluable having that extra hand empty with two kids to corral.

I didnt read thru all the responses yet, so apologies if I duplicate information.

The best suggestion I have read on these boards for carrying on diapers was to stuff them into the outside pockets of your suitcase. That way they dont take up immediate space inside your suitcase. Diapers dont weigh very much either so the "cost" of packing them this way, if you are flying and checking a bag, is negligible.

Yes, the cruiseline should be happy to deliver your box of checked diapers to your room. Be sure to label all sides with your room information. When I am checking extra items such as these, I like to do my best to duplicate the luggage tag provided assuming that it is a recognized format for all the people whom deliver the luggage. The more familiar the format of the tag is the more the items is likely to make it.

As for having a box of diapers "lost" if you check them, I wouldn't worry about it. If your ship is offering diapers as a service then they will most likely be able to replace them. As well, I am sure that they will send someone to retrieve a box of diapers at the next port of call on your behalf. Which does bode for the idea of packing enough diapers in a carry on (diaper bag?) in order to make it to the next port of call, just in case.

I don't think anyone would have a problem if you personally hand carried on a box of diapers. They are going to want to send the box thru the xray machine but, after that, doubt it will be an issue.

Happy Sailing

We're trying to figure out the best way to pack DS's diapers given that we'll have quite a bit of stuff with us (DH was never one to pack light before we had a baby, much less now!) I was thinking of sticking one of the luggage tags to a box of diapers and having the porters deliver it with the rest of our luggage, keeping just the first day's worth in our carry-on diaper bag. I was hoping that would be the simplest route and would save on suitcase space. DH wanted to split up the box into each of our suitcases because he's worried that our 1 box might get lost and then we'd be stuck w/o any diapers for the week. Has anyone ever had this happen? Any other suggestions? We are driving to the port so we're not worried about dealing w/ how airlines would handle the amount of stuff we have.

We did this with cases of water. Make it easy on the porters by using duct tape to make a handle. They won't give you a hassle if you are making an effort to make it easy on them.

Make sure that you carry it yourself for a few minutes before you pack the car so that you know the handle is not going to break. (We had to repair one after unloading the car because I failed to use enough layers - fortunately I brought some duct tape with me in the car just in case.).

I've cruised with both of my boys in diapers. Ditto on stuffing them in the pockets of your suitcase or bags.

Also, I've taken them out of the box but left them in the plastic and put them at the bottom of the suitcase and packed everything around and on top of them. Much easier than lugging a box of pampers around. When I unpacked, I just put them on the shelf in the closet and took as needed.

Good Luck and Enjoy:).

I had Pull Ups stuck everywhere for our last trip. Front pockets, rolled into shoes, down the sides of the suitcases...there was plenty of spots to tuck them in. We had a PILE of them to unload, I hadn't realized how many I managed to get in there!

One tip that I learned...the little blue bags that they sell at Target, or Wal mart to bag diapers up in are worth their weight in gold when it came to stinky diapers in a closed up cruise cabin. I will never leave home without them!

Archived