Stupid Jellyfish...

2CanuckCruisers

Wow that's a shame. Last year there were tons of clear jellyfish at one end of Tobacco Bay, that's what I thought this post was about. They weren't the stinging kind, luckily, just felt weird to swim through them.

I have to say, the picture in the Gazette is beautiful!

Hope it clears up soon.

I was just there on a land based trip and they were all over the shore of the beach at our hotel. There were actually pieces of them all over so it was hard to get close to the water. They are actually very stunning to look at (color is beautiful) which is helpful in seeing them and their bits and pieces!

I want to share the info I found after a little research, as I was all ready to pack my bottle of vinegar to take with me in 2 weeks...

From what I read, jellyfish and man o' war are very different and need very different treatment. Despite the fact that the linked article says you should treat the man o' war sting with vinegar, all the other information I found states that vinegar will make a MAN O' WAR sting WORSE.

Vinegar is recommended for true jellyfish stings, while salt/ocean water, later followed by hot water is what you should use for man o' war. Check wikipedia, or do a search for more detailed info.

Jelly fish may be the lesser of two evils, so to speak......average water temperature for May is 74F. :eek:

I am from San Diego and the highest the water temp got there was low 70's so my DH and I wouldnt mind 74 degree water... its the Jelly fish I am worried about lol :o

Bermuda really reminded me of San Diego from a weather stand point. Pack your suit and jump in!

Bermuda is like South Carolina from a weather stand point. May is very good golfing type weather there.

If one is used to cool water they will probably be okay with the water temperature in early May. The locals don't usually go to the beaches until after Bermuda Day which is at the end of May.

I have been there at the end of May and I guess I have thin blood but I could only stay in the water a few minutes even at the end of the month that trip. It was still worth going to the beach because the South Shore beaches are beautiful even just being there without going in the water.

We were in Bermuda on 21-23 and they were found in Horseshoe Bay on thursday the 22nd only. People were there Wed with none and Friday they were gone, although some small jelly fish stayed around. We swam in Tobacco Bay on Wednesday with no problems at all and Snorkel Park on Friday with no jelly fish. We did speak to one older gentleman in the elevator on Friday who had gotten stung by a tentacle on Thursday and he said it was the worst pain he had felt, had it all night but by Friday am he was all better and was heading out to another beach!. On thursday at Horseshoe Bay they had the workers picking up the man o way and getting rid of them, but they didn't seem to be too happy about that job.

If jelly fish are a problem at a beach where I'm swimming I'll just go to another beach. It's not like the island is being invaded by these creatures. We need to keep things in perspective here.

You mean it's not.......INVASION OF THE JELLYFISH?:D

Every year the subject comes up with the same questions and concerns and every year it blows over without being much of an issue.;)

If jelly fish are a problem at a beach where I'm swimming I'll just go to another beach. It's not like the island is being invaded by these creatures. We need to keep things in perspective here.

And the truth is the ocean is full of creatures. If you put on a dive or snorkel mask you will see what is all around. There are always Jelly Fish among the fish. The Man o War which are what you really want to avoid and they look different, seen a few washed up on the beach but never saw one in the water. Unless they have the beach posted with warnings I would not be concerned about going in the water.

• 2 weeks later...
And the truth is the ocean is full of creatures. If you put on a dive or snorkel mask you will see what is all around. There are always Jelly Fish among the fish. The Man o War which are what you really want to avoid and they look different, seen a few washed up on the beach but never saw one in the water. Unless they have the beach posted with warnings I would not be concerned about going in the water.

If they are washed up on the beach, you can be sure that they're in the water. Their tentacles can extend for many feet.

I hope that they'll be gone by June 4.

If they are washed up on the beach, you can be sure that they're in the water. Their tentacles can extend for many feet.

I hope that they'll be gone by June 4.

We just got back from there and saw none at Horsehoe Bay, but we did see some on the shore and in the water at Tobacco Bay. however in the water they were mainly toward the rock areas. We snorkeled for several hours at both locations and did not run into any while snorkeling in the areas away from the rocks.:)

Archived