Book Recommendation

weezer64

I love to gather all kinds of info prior to going on any trip. Along with joining a message board one of things I like to do is purchase books. I find that the best books that I've purchased came from recommendations off of the message boards.

For example, last year we were driving to Florida for our family vacation. THE best book recommended to me was "Along Interstate 75", a remarkable book for the trip with maps, history of places along the way, the top rated hotels and restaurants along the way, and probably most important - the speeding ticket traps. Sure enough, as stated, there were patrol cars at every spot mentioned!

So, I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for the Western Caribbean OR for cruising the Caribbean? I've been to Borders and there are many to choose from so I'd like to weed out the ones I shouldn't bother with.

TIA!

Try this thread from the Cruise Rituals section of the site:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=67422

I listed most of the books from this thread and ran it by my two experts ... my mom and dad who are readaholics :D I'm going to the library the day before we leave to get the ones that I think I'll like. I've tried buying books before but they end up collecting dust on my shelf after I've read them and I figure heck....I already pay for the library via my taxes..why not take advantage! The one in our town is great since all you have to do is call them with your request and they call you when the books are available.

Happy reading!

Thanks, I appreciate you linking me to that thread. But what I'm actually looking for are TRAVEL books about the Caribbean or cruising.....books I read about my destinations before I go on my trip. The books on that thread appear to be fiction books.

Fodor's, Frommer's...Bob Sehlinger......these kinds are the kinds of books I'm interested in.

Anyone?

Hi weezer. I love the Eyewitness travel books whenever they are available for wherever I'm going. I also really like to check online for local tourism/chamber of commerce-type sites and download all of their information. I put it in a binder and read it on the plane and on the ship. I have a book on Caribbean ports of call, but the information is so superficial that I really like the online research approach. I did this once when preparing for a trip to Alaska. I emailed a question to a local tourism site and was amazed when the phone rang on February evening and it was the folks from that place in Alaska! I looked forward to meeting them all the way until the cruise sailed in July. Another approach that works well is to beat a path to the ship's library as soon as you board. Every ship I've ever been on has a shelf of travel books specific to the area it's cruising. They disappear fast though, so you have to get there quickly. The advantage to this is it doesn't cost anything and you don't have to carry it to or from the cruise.

Thank you nynewfies! I'll check on the Eyewitness books you mentioned....

I love your story about emailing that place in Alaska. I have a similar story that happened prior to my trip to Monterey CA. I called about whale watching cruises and the woman on the phone was SO friendly and so patient with my newbie questions.....we were on the phone for close to 45 minutes and towards the end she said that she was so looking forward to me having a good time, that my cruise would be free! I thought "yeah right, until I get there and she suddenly won't remember me". She did!

I ended up seeing 13 blue whales, 13 humpback whales, and over 300 dolphins that day.............

She definitely gave me quite a gift that I will treasure forever.

Again, thank you for your suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Cheryl

You're welcome. I suppose it should go without saying that the reason I have the suggestion about checking the ship's library early is that I saw a completely denuded shelf by the time I thought of it on the second day of my last cruise. Being the type that hopefully learns from my mistakes (my life being, therefore, a virtual bastion of higher education) I intend to hop right in there on our February cruise!

I recieved a book for Christmas "Caribbean By Cruise Ship by Anne Vipond" that I think is great. Read the ports I have already experienced and found the information right on target. Some of the history for each port has influenced the places where I might want to visit on our cruise next month. Wow only a day way from sayin this month!!

I also enjoy my Frommer's Caribbean Cruises & Ports of calls but more for the ship info.

Bon Voyage

Dawna

Cheryl,

We're planning a trip to SF this July. I was wondering if you could tell me what tour company you used out of Monterey, and what time of year did you go? I would love to see the whales and dolphins!! Thanks for any help you can give me.

Sorry I don't have anything to add to your post. We've taken 2 trips to the Western Caribbbean and I too tried to get my hands on anything I could find to read up on. The local library was a great starting placing for me, then I went to Borders. To be honest, the internet has always been the best source of information, and in particular this forum. If I could answer anything for you, I'd be happy to do so.

Nancy

No problem, be glad to share! The name of the place is Monterey Bay Whale Watch. Here is a link: http://www.gowhales.com/index.htm Be sure to tell Stanley (the woman I spoke with on the phone) I said hi! ;) They have the last few years' sightings on their website, I checked and my day's sightings were on there! Here's what we saw August 2, 2003! (nothing on earth has ever compared to this experience)

13 Humpback Whales

13 Blue Whales

1 Minke Whale

400 Pacific White Sided Dolphins

300 Risso's Dolphins

200 Northern Right Whale Dolphins

One thing not mentioned was the school of jellyfish that we went through. Unbelievable....thousands upon thousands of jellyfish concentrated in one spot.

Also, I wanted to share a runner up. I didn't choose this place because it was a little to far from where we were staying. I would also take a look at these guys........when you sign on to the website, you'll see a pic of a whale very close to the boat. I am NOT kidding when I say this was my experience...it was just breathtaking.

http://www.graywhale.org/index.html

You'll notice that in July...the more common whales are the Blue Whale and the Humpback Whale. The Gray Whale is more in the winter months.

Seriously consider a whale cruise, a good 4 hour one. Have fun in SF! :D

Thanks so much for the links. I'll be sure to check them out. This will be our third cruise, and I've yet to see a dolphin from the ship, but have heard of others being able to do so. I just wish one time I could see one. I will definitely look into this...originally we were going to SF to celebrate Mike's birthday...now I think we're going so I can go on a whale watching cruise. :D Sorry for getting off topic, and thanks again for the help.

Nancy

Dear Cool - I find Frommer's books to be an excellent source - I have the one on Caribbean Cruises and Ports of Call and the Caribbean one that takes each island and gives an in-depth review of everything from where to shop to Best Things to do. I always purchase either Frommers' or Fodor's months before traveling. I enjoy researching the destinations and can chart out an itinerary of things to do and see. By the time we actually go, I have a pretty good idea of how to get around so we don't waste time.:)

I like the way this book is arranged in that there are icons for "heads up" (warnings), "bargain alert," etc. Also, the book is slightly bigger than some guides and it is easier to handle and keep open when highlighting, etc.

I also really like "The Unofficial Guide to ..." books. I have several for U. S. cities and I think they have one about cruising.

I always check half.com and amazon.com for used travel guides as the books are usually about half-price. Saving money on books lets me spend more on cruising!

but I like the book "Night of the Silent Drums" by John Lonzo Anderson. It is a historical look at the Virgin Islands, and the slave revolt of 1733. It really gives you a very good idea of what life was like in these locations we now call paradise.

Another one that I really like "Don't Stop the Carnival: A Novel" by Herman Wouk. It is a comedy about living out your dream of living on a tropical island.

Archived