Princess cruises Alaska 2011

stevenikkij

Hi everybody just got off the phone and they say in early May.

It would be nice, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. If you put Alaska 2011 in the search box of the Princess board you will see all kinds of dates that have been thrown out to us. The response keeps changing depending on who you talk with --- we have heard many different dates --- for example:

"I just got off the phone with Princess and was told Alaska 2011 schedule will be out sometime in June." This is the response someone got just last week. The best thing to do is just keep checking the Princess website. I know it's frustrating --- I too am waiting for news.

All I can do is shake my head and wonder what valid excuse Princess could have for delaying this, when the other cruise lines seem to have no problems booking their dates. I have seen folks here who have gone ahead and booked with other lines, because Princess is just dropping the ball.

Also, I wonder if by holding off, Princess has now forfeited the limited access highlights, such as Glacier Bay. Perhaps other lines have had the opportunity to jump in and book the limited slots. I haven't looked to see what other lines are offering these sites on their itineraries. But, I just do not think that authorities would hold them for Princess if Princess has yet to sign on the dotted line.

:confused:

All I can do is shake my head and wonder what valid excuse Princess could have for delaying this, when the other cruise lines seem to have no problems booking their dates. I have seen folks here who have gone ahead and booked with other lines, because Princess is just dropping the ball.

Also, I wonder if by holding off, Princess has now forfeited the limited access highlights, such as Glacier Bay. Perhaps other lines have had the opportunity to jump in and book the limited slots. I haven't looked to see what other lines are offering these sites on their itineraries. But, I just do not think that authorities would hold them for Princess if Princess has yet to sign on the dotted line.

I hope not- we wanted to do Glacier Bay- that is how we narrowed our choices down to Norwegian and Princess. I really liked the idea of the covered pools on Princess, but we will do what we have to. :)

I have seen folks here who have gone ahead and booked with other lines, because Princess is just dropping the ball.

I'm one of them... :(

Well, with the Alaska tax issues being so mangled and Carnival Corp's pulling of the Royal Princess so she could go to P&O, I can understand how things could be a little shaken up. I know the schedule was supposed to be released April 8th, I believe, but it got pushed back to May at the last minute. Frustrating, I know! :(

Fortunately for those folks who have booked with other lines, if Princess's itineraries turn out to be better, they still have plenty of time to cancel and rebook.

I can't be sure, but I don't think Princess will have to sacrifice access to Glacier Bay. First, there are fewer ships doing Alaska in 2011, and second I believe RCL and Celebrity are still banned from Glacier Bay since they got caught dumping in protected waters.

Just a followup re: Glacier Bay. I checked the Alaska National Parks site and only four cruiselines have been granted Glacier Bay permits for the 2010-2019 permit season: Princess, HAL, NCL and West Travel Inc. Both Princess and HAL are "currently historical operators, as defined by ANILCA section 1307, which entitles them to non-competitively continue their historic use (seventy-one entries), 36CFR, Sec. 13.305. The remaining entries have been competitively allocated."

I can't be sure, but I don't think Princess will have to sacrifice access to Glacier Bay. First, there are fewer ships doing Alaska in 2011, and second I believe RCL and Celebrity are still banned from Glacier Bay since they got caught dumping in protected waters.

The permits have already been allocated through 2019.

Just a followup re: Glacier Bay. I checked the Alaska National Parks site and only four cruiselines have been granted Glacier Bay permits for the 2010-2019 permit season: Princess, HAL, NCL and West Travel Inc.

Isn't Carnival operating the Carnival Spirit in Glacier Bay this season?

Or are they allowed to go as well since Princess and HAL are part of Carnival Corp.?

I just got off the Golden and Angela, the Future Cruise Sales Rep said not to expect Alaska 2011 itineraries until at least the 14th of May -- later in the conversation she said it might not be until the 22nd:(. We're waiting anxiously along with the rest of you! Now that this cruise is done it's time to start planning the next one!

Happy Sailing!

Isn't Carnival operating the Carnival Spirit in Glacier Bay this season?

Or are they allowed to go as well since Princess and HAL are part of Carnival Corp.?

Yes, but the Spirit only goes to Glacier Bay on its last cruise of the season from Seattle to Vancouver.

I understand your disappointment w/the lengthy wait....I really do! So come join us on HAL!:p You won't be disappointed = promise!;)

I would love to do the longer HAL cruise to Alaska but their balcony prices are a little high. :) Still keeping fingers crossed that Princess comes out soon.

So to sum up - the Alaska itinerary goes on sale on the 6th, 13th, 14th, 15th, 22nd of May or sometime in June....:p. Make your plans folks!

I would love to be reacquainted with Princess Cruises, my first love in cruising, but as it stands I am booked in a great aft cabin on NCL Pearl and will stay there unless Princess comes up with something very tempting.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived