Pre-Cruise Theatre Help in London

Samantha94

My husband and I are booked on Oceania's "Vikings, Castles & Kings" June 30th cruise out of Dover, and we are staying three nights in London prior to boarding ship on the 30th. Thanks to many suggestions and help from fellow cruisers on this Board, we have booked our hotel in London at Hotel 41, but now are interested in attending the theatre while there. Does anyone have suggetions on the best plays to see in London and would a dinner show be the better way to go? Also, should we book tickets while still in the States or wait till we get there?

Thank you Brian for the help. Do you think it better to buy tickets while in the states or ok to wait till we get there?

Samantha

Not much in the way of Dinner Shows in London....if any.

The current top shows are

Jersey Boys

Billy Elliott

But if you can only see ONE go and see Sweet Charity.........fantastic.

Brian

I'd want to know what I was doing before I got to London.

You can buy London theater tickets online here:

http://www.londontheatreboxoffice.com/Default.aspx?gclid=CKGA1ZKap6ECFQQGswodvnN5DQ

Or get the concierge in your hotel to handle it for you.

For dinner, I'd suggest the Ivy......the food is really fabulous and you might see Hugh Grant in the next booth ;)

http://www.the-ivy.co.uk/

Because seating is important to me I always buy tickets from home a few months in advance.

Look at available shows on

http://www.broadwaybox.com/london/

I find its better to go to the particular show or theatre's web site when purchasing tickets. If using other sellers look out for booking fees. Some sites will mail tickets to you, others do will call.

If the particular show or seats are not that important to you, you can probably do better pricewise buying discount tickets after you arrive. There is a TKTS booth that sells 1/2 price day or show tickets.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

It depends on how intent you are about seeing a particular show.

if there is one on your list that is a "once in a lifetime, can't miss" show then order in advance.

Other than that we have always had luck at the box office or at the 1/2 price booth.

Be aware that many theaters have different starting time so one show may start at 7:30 and another at 8:00.

Dinner before the show can be a problem with more relaxed serving speed. We always take one night just for dinner and enjoy it rather than rushing to get to the theater.

I would also suggest you check to see what's playing at the stages of the National Theatre for both new and interesting plays and productions of the classics. Just google the National Theatre for its website to find the listings and reservations.

Frankly, and this is jmo, but you can see Jersey Boys and Billy Elliott in NY. Id' go for something unique to London.

Don't miss "War Horse" at the New London (Drury Lane), it started at the National and moved to the West End a year ago. It's very unusual and doesn't sound like much when you describe it - an adaptation of a children's story about the experience of cavalry horses in World War I, done largely w/ full size puppets - but it was one of the most compelling theater experiences we've ever had (and we've seen a LOT of theater). They are talking about bringing it to NY (Lincoln Center) next year. Get tickets well in advance - they sell out regularly.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT GO TO THE IVY.

It is a showbiz hangout and we have found that unless you are famous you can only get in at 5.30, no photos allowed in case you are Paparazzi, and G=D forbid a minor celeb is snapped while dining.

If you want that style of Restaurant go to the Wolsey on Piccadilly. The previous Owners of the Ivy now run this and a few others in Central London. Called the Wolsey because it was originaly the showroom of Wolsey Cars. The interior is fantastic and EVERYONE is welcome.

Michael Caine is often there plus many other Celebs (yuck).

Brian

The feedback on Warhorse is fantastic but I have not seen it yet.

Sweet Charity started this year at The Menier Chocolate Factory an off off way off basement theatre in South East London. We saw it there and the same production has transferred to The Haymarket Theatre.

Also check to see what is on at The Open Air Theatre in Regents Park. A fantastic evening under the stars. Provided it is not raining heavily the Show goes on.......People take picnics, booze and plenty of warm clothing. Last year we saw Hello Dolly.

Always buy tickets in advance to the BIG Shows.

Brian

Frankly, and this is jmo, but you can see Jersey Boys and Billy Elliott in NY. Id' go for something unique to London.

When we were in London last year we saw Priscilla - truly fun and entertaining(along the lines of Mama Mia, where people stand and join in on the fun). If you liked the movie, you'll love the musical; if you didn't, don't bother. I am not sure if it is stil playing, but it would be unique to London.

Along more serious lines, try the Globe for Shakespeare (again unique to London) - for this one you would HAVE to get tickets well in advance.

Whatever you choose, chances are you'll have a good time:D

I second the admonition NOT to go to the Ivy. Unless you are yourself a celebrity, expect to be ignored. We went and saw Hairspray and then went to the Ivy afterwards. At 11:30 we were still waiting for our dinner. FWIW I would describe Billy Elliott as a London experience as it is a very British show, at least it was when we saw it in London 2 years ago. Havent seen it in NYC yet but there was a whole Margaret Thatcher parody in the show which will not IMHO translate well to the NY stage. Have a great time whatever you do.

--------------

Helen

Hi Samantha....we live close to London and visit musical theatre there regularly. You've been given some great advice but what it comes down to is what your preferences for theatre and eating out are so that you can get the very best experience from your visit. There are many wonderful restaurants in the area where you are staying but if you like quality Thai food then visit Mango Tree in Grosvenor Place, close to your hotel. There is also lots to do in Covent garden which is a short taxi ride away. The show Billy Elliott is at the Victoria Palace Theatre which is again just a short walk from your hotel and I agree is a uniquely British experience. It is a fantastically uplifting show and is set in the north east of England during a dark period in our recent history when our coal miners were on strike in the 70's and brought the country to a standstill. As the publicity says, young boys in that area at that time were expected to grow up to become miners, not ballet dancers. The parody of Mrs Thatcher in the show is simply because she, as the Prime Minister of the time, took on the striking coal miners and won. If something a little more light hearted is your preference then try Mama Mia at the Prince of Wales theatre or Sister Act at The London Palladium. These really gets your toes tapping! By the way, I agree you should forget the Ivy.

Alan & Sue

Hi Samantha....we live close to London and visit musical theatre there regularly. You've been given some great advice but what it comes down to is what your preferences for theatre and eating out are so that you can get the very best experience from your visit. There are many wonderful restaurants in the area where you are staying but if you like quality Thai food then visit Mango Tree in Grosvenor Place, close to your hotel. There is also lots to do in Covent garden which is a short taxi ride away. The show Billy Elliott is at the Victoria Palace Theatre which is again just a short walk from your hotel and I agree is a uniquely British experience. It is a fantastically uplifting show and is set in the north east of England during a dark period in our recent history when our coal miners were on strike in the 70's and brought the country to a standstill. As the publicity says, young boys in that area at that time were expected to grow up to become miners, not ballet dancers. The parody of Mrs Thatcher in the show is simply because she, as the Prime Minister of the time, took on the striking coal miners and won. If something a little more light hearted is your preference then try Mama Mia at the Prince of Wales theatre or Sister Act at The London Palladium. These really gets your toes tapping! By the way, I agree you should forget the Ivy.

Alan & Sue

Whenever I'm in London, I just visit the TKTS booth in Leicester Square -- it's in the middle of the square -- beware of the many shops advertising "half price tickets" -- they are not the same thing. Then I just get tickets for whatever show they have that looks interesting. In a week I may see two or three shows, as the discounts are quite good.

That said, I agree with the other posters that if there is something that really interets you, reserve tickets ahead of time.

I also second the poster who recommended the Globe. The cheap seats (i.e. standing room!) are very cheap (5 pounds or so a few years ago) and you get the true experience. Expect to pay more for a seat.

http://www.officiallondontheatre.co.uk/tkts/

http://www.shakespeares-globe.org/

A BIG Thank You to "all" who responded to our request for help regarding theatre and dinner tickets while in London! You have given us some great ideas and possibilities and we are most appreciative for your help! Can't wait to get to London!!

Samantha

One word of warning. Get there early. The booth (?) is actually quite large with about ten or so windows, and it is a stone structure. However, people get there early and line up. We got there around 9:15 and were perhaps 50 people back from the front of the line. At 10 (as I remember when it opened), the line went down the block and turned the corner and went half-way up the adjacent street. The ticket selection was good, and when you are finished, there are a bunch of cafe/restaurants in the next block (to your right if you are looking at the front of the ticket building) where you can get a very inexpensive and quick English breakfast or other breakfast selection.

If the OP is staying near where Billy Elliott is playing (we saw that last August) you are going to take the Underground to Piccadilly Circus, and Leicester Square is perhaps two short blocks away (depending on which exit you use out of the Underground).

This is an option is you a) don't know what you want to see yet, or b) want to add something at the last minute.

bbwex:

Thank you for the additional information about the ticket booth - I would not have imagined it being so large and so busy! Also, thanks for the info on the inexpensive places to eat and the directions to the theatre area via the underground! Most helpful!!! We appreciate your thoughtfulness!

Samantha

One word of warning. Get there early. The booth (?) is actually quite large with about ten or so windows, and it is a stone structure. However, people get there early and line up. We got there around 9:15 and were perhaps 50 people back from the front of the line. At 10 (as I remember when it opened), the line went down the block and turned the corner and went half-way up the adjacent street. The ticket selection was good, and when you are finished, there are a bunch of cafe/restaurants in the next block (to your right if you are looking at the front of the ticket building) where you can get a very inexpensive and quick English breakfast or other breakfast selection.

If the OP is staying near where Billy Elliott is playing (we saw that last August) you are going to take the Underground to Piccadilly Circus, and Leicester Square is perhaps two short blocks away (depending on which exit you use out of the Underground).

This is an option is you a) don't know what you want to see yet, or b) want to add something at the last minute.

I stayed at Hotel 41 in December and we went to see Billy Elliot (a 4 minute walk from the hotel). The play was good but very British and at times it was hard to understand the heavy "English" accent. The tickets were expensive so if I had to do it over I would have gone to see Sister Act. We live not to fatr from NYC and often go up for theater so I know good productions and I was not overly impressed.

The folks at the hotel can help you with anything - you can even call them before you go and ask for assistance.

If you are going in the summer look into tickets to see Buckingham Palace (you can google them on line for info/ordering tickets) - it is an expierence you should not miss - enjoy

Across the street and down a block from the hotel is a PUB (bag o nails - I think) - great place for a beer after alot of walking....

pkamison,

Thank you for the advice; we have been trying to choose which plays to see because we figure we can go to the theatre two nights out of the three that we will be staying in London, and es, we are going this June so we're trying to get things set up now - Buckingham Palace is definitely something we want to do; I will check into tickets on that. Did you happen to use one of the London Pass deals? We've read about it, but not sure if it is worth the $$ or not??? Thanks too for the info on the Pub! :)

Samantha

I stayed at Hotel 41 in December and we went to see Billy Elliot (a 4 minute walk from the hotel). The play was good but very British and at times it was hard to understand the heavy "English" accent. The tickets were expensive so if I had to do it over I would have gone to see Sister Act. We live not to fatr from NYC and often go up for theater so I know good productions and I was not overly impressed.

The folks at the hotel can help you with anything - you can even call them before you go and ask for assistance.

If you are going in the summer look into tickets to see Buckingham Palace (you can google them on line for info/ordering tickets) - it is an expierence you should not miss - enjoy

Across the street and down a block from the hotel is a PUB (bag o nails - I think) - great place for a beer after alot of walking....

we are going this June so we're trying to get things set up now - Buckingham Palace is definitely something we want to do;

Samantha

It is not very likely (though possible) that Buckingham Palace will be open to visitors in June. It opens when the Royal Family leaves for their summer residence in Balmoral Castle (usually at the end of July); but do check, just to make sure (the tours book VERY quickly)

Archived