port gratuities?

new2cruising86

If the "guide" is simply a driver, we generally don't tip. If the "guide" is someone who actually participates in the excursion and does a good job (personable, friendly, knowledgable, etc) then we will tip in the $5 range.....it's totally up to you and if you feel it's worth it....there's no "rule" that says you have to tip!

Yes there is no rule that you have to tip but these people live off the tourist trade so I always tip them. If they are "just a driver" ie cab etc then tip a couple of bucks. If they take you on a 5 hour excursion, get involved, participate, etc you should tip them accordingly. If its 10 people maybe $5 per person is fine but if its a few you should tip them 15-20% for the experience. Remember in many of these ports these people depend on the tourist trade and I would feel bad if someone took me on a 5 hour excursions and really did everything to make it a wonderful experience and I gave him $5. Yes its your call you can do whatever you want but when I took a 5 hour tour with a guide in Antigua and he took us all over the island (just 2 of us) we tipped him $30...but that's me!

oh okay! i know on our canopy adventure in jamaica we are following our guide walking 10 minutes from dock. the dolphin swim im really not sure if there will be a driver and a guide but now I have a general idea of how much I should tip. thank you much! :D

Archived