Fantasy leaving tomorrow--Lighting the Gulf on FIRE!

Gulf Breezer

We are sailing on the Fantasy tomorrow. As you all know, there is a huge oil slick in the Gulf. Now "they" are talking about "lighting the Gulf on fire." I wonder how this might affect our cruise. Have any of you seen the oil slick?

My heart goes out to all the sea life being affected by this oil problem. Humanity has inflicted a lot of crap on nature-sorry if it sounds like I'm venting, I have a big soft spot in my heart for all sea life.:(

Pat

Here is a link to a news-site that is running the story:

http://apnews1.iwon.com//article/20100428/D9FC9Q5G1.html

Since they are moving the oil to a more remote area, the actual burning shouldn't affect anything.

No one moves oil on the water, the wind/waves will move the oil, it would be sort of trying to herd cats!!!:D

A 500-foot boom will be used to corral several thousand gallons of the thickest oil on the surface, which will then be towed to a more remote area, set on fire, and allowed to burn for about an hour, the Coast Guard said.

I don't know how they do it, all I did was the post the lin k so that ya'll could see the news release. Don't shoot the messenger!

Maybe they will let the passengers roast marshmallows over the side of the ship, making S'mores is fun!

I LOVE S'mores!!!!

Sign me up!!!

Seriously though, that would be an amazing site to see!

Ashley :-)

Thanks everybody. CC Baby, please tell me about your family from Molino. We have been frantically packing at the last minute, so I haven't had a chance to check in here. I know that Carnival will divert from any burning that might go on in the Gulf. My husband and I were just wondering/pondering as to WHY there wasn't a shutoff valve in this situation. Anyway, we are sailing out tomorrow to wherever Carnival decides to take us. Hopefully we will make it to Cozumel successfully.

We are sailing on the Fantasy tomorrow. As you all know, there is a huge oil slick in the Gulf. Now "they" are talking about "lighting the Gulf on fire." I wonder how this might affect our cruise. Have any of you seen the oil slick?

I have cut & pasted this from the Carnival Forum website. I found it under the section, "Need Carnival Assistance". A staff member posted this yesterday afternoon. I hope this answers at least one of your questions.

With regard to the Deepwater Horizon oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, we are monitoring the situation closely and captains navigating our ships sailing from Mobile and New Orleans may opt to deviate course slightly to sail around the affected area. However, we do not anticipate any changes to the scheduled itineraries and associated ports of call as a result.

Mischelle Beattie Manager - Online Community Carnival Cruise Lines

Archived