Returning cruiser

sixbirches

Yes, you will receive an invitation. There are free pre-made drinks brought around on trays along with appetizers. I have seen people order specific drinks, so I believe that you can do this as well. You will have the opportunity to shake hands with the Captain and will hear a brief statement by himself and the Passenger Services Director. They will also announce the most travelled. Usually lasts about 45 minutes. Really, it is only good for the free drinks. :)

Thanks for the response! It sounds exactly like Royal Caribbean. I agree with you -- we go for the free drinks... as I'm sure everyone else does!

Not sure the drinks are worth going. We usually drink wine. It may be cheap gut rot, but they don't water it.

Thanks for the response! It sounds exactly like Royal Caribbean. I agree with you -- we go for the free drinks... as I'm sure everyone else does!

The freebies are given at a Captains Circle Reception and are nice to enjoy. However, I have found giving the sever a simple $1 tip for a few drinks readily brings him back to serve you again... even amongst the crowd...

Once the "welcome" talks start, all the servers disappear as well as the free drinks..however, we have found, as on our recent Ruby cruise, the simple $1 tip brought our sever back after the talks began with additional champagne for me and DW...without even asking...

it is a very pleasant 45-minutes-1 hour.

As most passengers are "returning," the Welcome Back Captain's party is crowded and noisy with people looking for a free drink. We avoid it like the plague.

Pam, I guess it is all a matter of perception and expectations... yes, alot of people.. yes, free drinks but we have not found it noisy or plague-avoidable in any fashion... just a nice way Princess can greet its returned / frequent cruisers and a chance to meet the Captain and some staff...

We have enjoyed the drinks as many/most do and we appreciate the hospitality...

The pre-offered drinks are watered down. Which is good for me as I won't get a migraine from them. At the last one, we got there late and sat on one side of the room where the waiters never seem to go by. Almost had to tackle a waiter with a tray. Was very different from the one before -- those waiters kept coming by and offering us drinks and canapes.

Pam, I guess it is all a matter of perception and expectations... yes, alot of people.. yes, free drinks but we have not found it noisy or plague-avoidable in any fashion... just a nice way Princess can greet its returned / frequent cruisers and a chance to meet the Captain and some staff...

We have enjoyed the drinks as many/most do and we appreciate the hospitality...

I agree that it's a nice gesture but when 80 - 90% of the passengers on the ship are "invited," it's not very special. We'd rather not fight the crowds and enjoy a quiet drink in the lounge. On HAL, for instance, they invite returning passengers to a special champagne sit-down brunch that's IMHO an even nicer gesture.

I agree that it's a nice gesture but when 80 - 90% of the passengers on the ship are "invited," it's not very special. We'd rather not fight the crowds and enjoy a quiet drink in the lounge. On HAL, for instance, they invite returning passengers to a special champagne sit-down brunch that's IMHO an even nicer gesture.

Pam, do they invaite all past guests to the brunch or only those who have attained a certain tier?

We go for the drinks too, and to see how many days the most cruised passengers have. We make a bet, winner picks the specialty restaurant.

Pam, do they invaite all past guests to the brunch or only those who have attained a certain tier?

We go for the drinks too, and to see how many days the most cruised passengers have. We make a bet, winner picks the specialty restaurant.

They have a brunch for all those with at least one HAL cruise up to a certain cruise level, but I'm not sure what it is. For those who have cruised a lot, there's a special cocktail party with the Captain and officers (similar in concept to the most-traveled lunch on Princess but with the Captain mingling with all of the most-traveled.)

On my last two Princess cruises, the most cruised passengers were well over 1,000 days, i.e., in the 1,200 - 1,500 day range.

Archived