Changing Credit Cards for S&S

Hello everybody :)

I have a question and realize I can call Carnival directly to get it, but hate to, so please help.

I completed my FunPass MONTHS ago :p and used my Visa Debit for my S&S acct (we don't have/want credit cards) BUT instead of having Carnival tie up my checking account with "holds" I bought a prepaid Visa today. I want to use this prepaid Visa for my S&S acct. Will there be a problem if I just give the check in agent the prepaid Visa instead of the Visa Debit listed on the FunPass?

I don't cruise for 2 more days so if I need to get into my documents and change the FunPass I can.

Any help will be appreciated.

When I tried to change cards at check in I was told NO - quite emphatically. I was told that I would need to go to Guest Services once on board. Could be that the woman checking me in just wasn't in the mood to deal with it. Don't know what she would have done if I didn'r even have the original card with me like the woman mentioned above!

When I tried to change cards at check in I was told NO - quite emphatically. I was told that I would need to go to Guest Services once on board. Could be that the woman checking me in just wasn't in the mood to deal with it. Don't know what she would have done if I didn'r even have the original card with me like the woman mentioned above!

I would have asked for her manager........

I would have asked for her manager........

It wasn't a big deal for me at the time. I had just decided that I would rather use a different card. But I was surprised at her answer since they never had more that the last 4 digits anyway. I never even made the change later.

As I said, it was no big deal for me, but I can sure see how it could be for someone who really needed to use a different card.

They will put holds on the prepaid visa, and that will lower your balance, since it is not a REAL card. I would not do that. My GF did that on our first cruise.. i stupidly used my debit, we both ended up with crappy issues of calling from sea to get it rectified.. just use cash and dont wory about it.. we even had a problem with a prepaid visa JUST last night at petsmart.. ( verizon rebate card) the guy swiped it twice by accident.. money was gone, prepaid customer service siad theres nothing they can do, sat in pet smart for two hours until store manager called corporate to give us the cash back.. it was a nightmare

Either use a real credit card or use cash, but never a prepaid or a debit

It is a 5 day out of Jax. I have $500 on the prepaid Visa, Carnival "holds" $200pp and Visa keeps back an additional 15% just in case so the hold will be $460. We don't drink, are bringing a 12 pack of pop and have $20 in OBC.

I just don't like extended holds on my checking account. They have up to 10 BUSINESS days to drop the hold after the cruise is over, so they could hold all $400 until May 20th.

I just went online and changed the Visa acct on my FunPass to reflect the prepaid Visa. It should be ok. If not I will tell them I fogot my debit card.

ON a 4 day cruise carnival hit my card EVERYDAY for 100.00 hold... just so you know. The can not take a hold off a prepaid credit card, as i found out last night. becuase its not an acutal REAL account, i hate to be a naysayer, but i would definitely not bank on that card working the way you want it to, i would hate for you to have to go thru what i went thru..

They will put holds on the prepaid visa, and that will lower your balance, since it is not a REAL card. I would not do that. My GF did that on our first cruise.. i stupidly used my debit, we both ended up with crappy issues of calling from sea to get it rectified.. just use cash and dont wory about it.. we even had a problem with a prepaid visa JUST last night at petsmart.. ( verizon rebate card) the guy swiped it twice by accident.. money was gone, prepaid customer service siad theres nothing they can do, sat in pet smart for two hours until store manager called corporate to give us the cash back.. it was a nightmare

Either use a real credit card or use cash, but never a prepaid or a debit

I only got the prepaid for this cruise, I got it thru my personal bank and they have notated on the acct I am using it for a cruise.

I only got the prepaid for this cruise, I got it thru my personal bank and they have notated on the acct I am using it for a cruise.

I understand that, because My GF sonia did the SAME thing, she got the pre paid directly from the bank..im not trying to scare you, but we spent the better part of one of our days where we could have been relaxing dealing with credit card company the bank and what not on our cell phones at 6.95 a min...

A prepaid card is not attached to your checking account, NOR is it a revolving charge account like a regualr credit card.. while Carnival Customer service may tell you its a 200.00 hold, i can vouch for the fact that they hit my card for 100.00 every single day.

I trulllly hope you enjoy your cruise and doNOT encounter any of these problems, but like i said, i just used a pre paid card last night at pet smart for heavens sake, and 2.5 hours later and a LOT of yelling i finally got cash from the store, there are no holds on a prepaid card. the money is just taken off..MONEY can also NOT be refunded to the card.. i know this bc i JUST found out the hard way less than 24 hours ago

ON a 4 day cruise carnival hit my card EVERYDAY for 100.00 hold... just so you know. The can not take a hold off a prepaid credit card, as i found out last night. becuase its not an acutal REAL account, i hate to be a naysayer, but i would definitely not bank on that card working the way you want it to, i would hate for you to have to go thru what i went thru..

Was it $100 pp per day or just $100 per day? What do you mean they can't take a hold off? What happens if you don't spend all of the $$ they held?

When you check in for your cruise, you can cvhange from a credit card to cash.

Wifey and I were on her Carnival card, but since I gamble I took my name off of her card and gave them $500 cash to start with. When I blew that $500 I put my CC card and used it for the remainder of the trip.

I did have a prepaid card for a time, but after having so much trouble using it, I said to heck with PP cards

Sorry to say that in this day and age, a credit card is a must for certain things. If you are deadset against a credit card, get AMEX. they are a charge card and have to be paid in full every month.

You should have no problem changing the card online. A couple of days before we sailed the Inspiration a few weeks ago, my credit card company cancelled my account due to a security breach and re-issued a new card. I just signed into the Carnival web site, changed the card info, and printed a new Fun Pass. There were no problems at all.

Was it $100 pp per day or just $100 per day? What do you mean they can't take a hold off? What happens if you don't spend all of the $$ they held?

we each had seperate sign and sails, were friends not married :) LOL.. so on her pre paid debit and my actualy debit card, the holds were 100.00 PER DAY.. not sure if its the same per person bc like i said we werent on the same account.. so i can atleast attest to ONE person being charged 100.00 per day... because the pre paid cards can not be refunded, you will run into the same issue we had last night at pet smart... we spent 99.03 the guy swiped the card, and then did something in error and swiped it again.. the FIRST swipe withdrew the 99.03 leaving us with .97 left on the card.. 2nd swipe clearly didnt work cause the card was only preloaded for 100.00 i said, well refund my card, he explained you cant refund a pre-paid card, i called the back of the pre paid visa and they confirmed once a transaction HITS it gets paid immediately to the electronic point of sale system its used on.. its not an ACTUAL creidt card so theres no existing account to send it back to, and i was pretty much beat.. thats when the yelling started with the store manager, who had to call corporate.. i had about HAD enough last night, and told him if they didnt refund my money i wanted the cashier to personally open his own wallet to rectify the situation..they eventually refunded it, i used cash and then did a seperate charge on my actual debit card

NOW in the case of the cruises, Sonia's pre paid had a 100.00 hold every day.. we were on a 4 day cruise with a 500.00 pre paid card.. she spent literally 148.00 but couldnt charge it to the card bc carnival had already deducted 100.00 per day ( their holds) so she had the purser and the visa prepaid cust service both get on the phone, and finally after about 4 hours wasted, carnival apologized, gave her back the money in cash, because Corporate had already recvd the funds via her pre paid card..

Thanks to my holds on my actual visa debit card attached to my checking, i had 3 checks bounce.. never again, ive used cash every cruise, if i need more i go to an ATM...

I hope NONE of this happens to you

How much do they "hold" on a regular credit card? I am now thinking that cash might be the way to go.

considering one of us used a prepaid and one used a debit card, and the hold was the same, id assume the 100.00 per day applies to reg credit cards.. my problem is i have a very LOW limit credit card, so that i wont ever "overspend" so with a 750.00 limit, id be concerned the holds and my spending would put me over my limit..

now my BF has a card with a 2500.00 limit and no balance, so for all of you who have higher limit cards with no balance id assume there wouldnt be an issue because the holds will eventually fall off...

i just use cash and save myself the hassle... but thats just me, the only reason i jumped in and told the OP my story was bc it put a major damper on my first cruise.. and i never want ANYONE to have a bad cruise let alone a bad FIRST cruise...

Archived