Changing Credit Cards for S&S

How much do they "hold" on a regular credit card? I am now thinking that cash might be the way to go.

I've always used a regular bank-issued credit card, and don't recall a hold on it. Maybe it's just prepaid and debit cards. Or maybe I'm just oblivious. ;)

I've never noticed a hold on our credit cards either.

We just changed which card we used on our cruise a couple of weeks ago. When we were at the check in desk we just said we wanted to use a different card and that's the one they swiped.

Everyone keeps confusing me with these holds. Used my debit card last year and the only holds were my actual charges. I would check my account online and the only debits were my actual charges. When I returned the whole amount was deducted at once there were no extra holds. My only problem was shopping out of the country. My card would not work when I called the bank they stated that I had not told them I was leaving the country. My card worked on the ship so I just withdrew money from the ATM to shop.

we just returned last week and i changed cards. i went online and edited my fun pass. nothing to reprint. it is in the system only. sailed thru check in since i did my deed ahead of time rather than holding up the line or waiting time once onboard.

we just returned last week and i changed cards. i went online and edited my fun pass. nothing to reprint. it is in the system only. sailed thru check in since i did my deed ahead of time rather than holding up the line or waiting time once onboard.

It won't hold up the line if you change cards......you still need to give them a card......

We use our Fun Points credit card onboard so we can get extra points. (We use it to book our cruises, too, because that's extra points, too.) My limit on the card is only $1,000 but that has always been enough for 4 of us on a 7-day cruise (I mean as far as holds - we don't spend that much once on the ship!)

I agree with a previous poster in that you simply have to have a credit card these days for some things. If you pay off the balance every month, what's the big deal?

We use our Fun Points credit card onboard so we can get extra points. (We use it to book our cruises, too, because that's extra points, too.) My limit on the card is only $1,000 but that has always been enough for 4 of us on a 7-day cruise (I mean as far as holds - we don't spend that much once on the ship!)

I agree with a previous poster in that you simply have to have a credit card these days for some things. If you pay off the balance every month, what's the big deal?

Some people cannot get a credit card if they wanted one. I am a recent widow and I had always used my husband accounts. I cannot get a credit card because I have no credit. I have a good job for years lived in the same house for years but no credit. The funny thing is though I was the one paying the credit cards every month to make sure he had good credit.

Hello everyone! I am just back today from my fabulous cruise and I will tell you what we ended up doing.

My mom had already stopped @ the bank and purchased the prepaid Visa and it was non-refundable. So we used the prepaid to pay for gas and food on the trip there (and back today) and when we checked in we gave them our debit card (We use to have credit cards and found it is too easy to buy now pay twice as much later so have canceled them, just FYI). The last night of the cruise I went to Guest Services and gave them the prepaid Visa to charge instead of my debit card. No problem with that, this morning my checking account had NO holds on it and I called the prepaid Visa and Carnival had only charged the $133 we owed on our account.

I am sorry the other people had such a hard time with their prepaid Visa's and am thankful for the information you guys gave me that saved me the same headache!

I have a question, Ok first I have right now 100 OBC, from now to Oct, I plan on putting money to carnival to put towards my spending on board. So lets say I have 800 total between OBC and money I paid before I cruise.

Now I will have them scan my Visa debit card, but will the 800 be used first, before my debit card is used??

Would love to know if that is how it works, on my past cruises I used a credit card, but this time I would rather not.

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Archived