Coffee Makers in Room?

vyness

Hi,

We'll be sailing on the Grand Princess in April and were wondering if there are coffee makers in the rooms. We sailed on NCL last year and remember there being one, which was a nice feature (but be sure to bring your own coffee).

We are booked in an inside stateroom on the Lido deck, if that makes a difference. Speaking of the Lido deck, has anyone stayed on this deck before? Our room is near the front of the ship, so is it going to be bumpy?

No coffee maker in room. But you can request room service to deliver at your choice of time. If your time is not on the form just write in the time you want. We had coffee delivered everyday at our requested time with no problems.

So does anyone know of a good (and inexpensive) small coffeemaker brand? I dont' think I could survive the week without decent coffee!

I've looked into bringing a small French Press, but don't know how I'd get the hot water to brew the coffee.

You can take your French Press to the Horizon Court and fill it with hot water from the hot water machine. We did not find the coffee to be as bad as the boards would make it out to be.

Also, we ordered room service every morning by just calling. It was at our room within 5 minutes and it was hot. Others in our group who filled out the form stated their coffee wasn't very hot. That is because they make them up and then deliver them in a group. We ordered coffee as early as 5:30 with no problem. We also ordered basic breakfast items that weren't on that form without a problem. I would get my lox/bagel/cream cheese with tomato & onion. They told me it would take an additional 5 minutes. Beats putting your clothes on to go to the Horizon Court and bring it back to your balcony to eat.

I have a 2 cup Mr. Coffee that I take with me. My last trip in November was on the Dawn Princess and I had been on the Star the year before and I really didn't like the coffee on Princess so I tried taking my own little Mr. Coffee and while it is still in the box I put it into my suitcase. It couldn't add a pound or two. Then when I arrive in Florida, when we stop for water and pepsi to take on board I also purchase a can of coffee (Folgers has a pull top sealer on it's canisters) to take on board the ship. That way I can have coffee whenever I want coffee ( I drink coffee from the moment I wake up to the moment I go to sleep). Last trip (10 days) I used 1 pound of coffee.

We had a forward cabin on Baja deck on the Grand in October. We could feel the motion more there than when we were down on the lower decks, but except for the evening that we sailed through a gale in the Atlantic, the Grand rode very smoothly. She's kind of prone to rolling when it gets very windy since she's so tall and has such a shallow draft. I assume since you're going on her in April that you're going to the Caribbean. We had one day & night of high seas while in the Caribbean on the Inspiration this month, but it was nothing compared to that storm in the Atlantic. Unless you're prone to motion sickness, I don't think you'll have a problem.

Shae

Having read the boards months before our New Year's Cruise on the Grand I had been advised as to the coffee aboard ship. I thought it couldn't be that bad. I was wrong. I know coffee is subjective and every one likes something different. My husband and I appreciate dark blends and the coffee aboard the Grand was anything but. And we weren't the only ones complaining. It seemed to be the general topic of conversation at most meals we shared with other people. Next time I bring the coffee maker. We drank a lot of tea onboard and the only thing that made my morning coffee drinkable was the shot of Bailey's I put in my travel mug before we went up to Horizon Court.

Hi there,

We just got off the Dawn (great cruise by the way) and, thanks to the other messages on this board, I purchased a Black and Decker "Brew n Go" single cup coffee maker and my favorite blend to take along. The Brew n Go includes an insulated mug, and is widely available in discount stores like Target or target.com. I also brought along another mug for my wife.

Set it up the night before, and simply press the button upon arising, and within minutes, you have hot, fresh, good coffee to enjoy on the balcony or elsewhere. We brought along some dry creamer, and everything was great.

Princess coffee is made from syrup, they tell me, and is ordinary at best.

If you do this, you will not regret it, I promise!

We too purchased the B&D Brew 'n Go one cup machine. It is not heavy at all, very light. I think the mug is the heaviest part :) I tried it out at home and it works well. Will go to horizon court before dinner and pick up some half and half or cream and put it in fridge. Will use bottled water for making the coffee. :) We bought it at Rite-Aid - could not find it at our local Walmart. Cost was $20. I will bring along another mug as the cup that you make the coffee in is 9 ounces and that will be good for the two of us first thing in the morning. :) Someone mentioned to take along a power strip and there are not too many places to plug things in - any advice of that ?

61 days to Wheels Up :) :)

I went to Wal-Mart and bought the cheapest - and lightest - coffee maker they had - a $14 Black & Decker 12-cup with no bells or whistles, just an on-off switch. (A single-cup maker would NOT be enough for me in the morning!!) Packed it in one of the carry-ons and left it behind (our cabin steward said he has a friend on staff who wanted a coffee maker who would love to have it). Of course, that space was taken up going home with souvenirs.

Every night we put out the breakfast room service order card for tea (DW doesn't drink coffee) and got cream and sugar delivered to our cabin in the morning.

Yes - the coffee in the Horizon Ct is still awful!!! Had some before disembarking...

Someone mentioned to take along a power strip and there are not too many places to plug things in - any advice of that ?

We had a mini-suite and there was an unused power outlet behind one of the TVs, and space next to it up on the shelf to easily fit the coffee maker. Don't know if this would be the case in other cabin configurations.

tom-n-jules

That is one of the wonderful secrets of the mini suites that many are not aware of. That extra outlet sure does make it handy for coffee makers. But anyone that needs it, bring an extension cord and you can safely tuck it out of the way while having the coffee maker still accessible.

As others have reported, it is small and light. We packed it in one of our suitcases, in the box. Made it both ways without damage. I did forget to mention the extension cord, only one outlet behind the TV in our balcony stateroom. Came in handy for plugging in TV, Coffeemaker, Battery charger, etc. Almost forgot - ask your cabin steward for some sanitary disposal bags (you know the kind) to dispose of the used coffee grounds.

Have a great time, we sure did:):)

In our regular (non minisuite) cabin on the Dawn, there was only one outlet on the desk and the blow dryer needed it and you know how big those plugs are, so I couldn't even plug in my camera battery recharger at the same time. Bring a power strip.

Thanks, will bring power strip an extension cord. We have a balcony room and if I remember correctly, on the Grand last cruise, the blow dryer was in the bathroom. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Which leads me to ask, is there a blowdryer in the bathroom in the Stars balcony rooms :)

I have to find that tips posting that is a couple of weeks old. :D

Hi,

We are booked in an inside stateroom on the Lido deck, if that makes a difference. Speaking of the Lido deck, has anyone stayed on this deck before? Our room is near the front of the ship, so is it going to be bumpy?

My wife and I also had an inside on the grand near the front of the lido deck.

We did the w. caribbean and the seas were pretty calm so we could not even feel the slightest movement. We kinda missed it the subtle movement. In our cabin, it didn't even feel like were were on a cruiseship.

The only "bumps" we encountered were from the aerobics gym directly above us. If you like to sleep in, the thumping sounds may disturb you at 8 am each morning. However, my wife and i woke up around that time every day, and didn't mind one bit.

I just purchased a french press from Magellans. It is plastic and specially designed for travelling. I also bought an immersion coil, because I was worried that the water would be lukewarm by the time it got to the room if I used room service.

Northender, the blow dryers are connected to the wall next to the dressing table/desk. The only ship I have sailed on Princess where it was located in the bathroom area was the Tahitian Princess.

How right you are. Now I remember - suffer from CRAFT. :D

Every morning my dear one brewed his lovely coffee. We used a melita plastic cone filter and maker that requires no electricty so it can be used anywhere. The steward brought us two big pitchers of hot water every morning. we used one for the hot coffee and one for making the coffee. Room service also brought fresh cream and coffee mugs. It was so decedent. Nothing like it on a med cruise and I am sure every other warm weather cruise.

We bought our fresh coffee for the mediterrean in Barcelona at Starbucks (6 locations there!) which was handy. I don't know where we will buy some when we cruise from Rome. I am sure you could use a plastic melita cone, a gold cone filter and a coffee scoop measure and be done. Those are all very packable. Really the hot water they bring is in an insulated carafe. There isn't any reason to heat your own water. I think it might be different next cruise when we are a party of 6. I guess we will need two or three cones, filters and coffee grounds. It really makes for luxury and a touch of home.

Archived