Need Anchorage hotel recommendations

TylerRose

Arriving a few days early for Cruisetour. Need good place to stay in Anchorage for 2 nights. Less concerned with cost, then complaints about accomodations from my family.

Currently exploring Millenium, Alyeska, and Captain Hook. But open to all suggestions and recommendations.

We are extended family of 8 spanning 11-80.

We stayed at the Anchorage Marriott last summer. Pretty new, comfortable and convenient location. Alyeska Resort is in a pretty setting, but not in Anchorage (about 45 minutes drive). The Millennium is also not right downtown, and I've read mixed reviews about that.

We've booked a great HAL cruisetour that sounds like it will meet the needs of amusing the kids, as well as not overwelming my MIL who needs a wheelchair to get about. I am not exploring B & B's only out of concerns about steps and handicapped accessabilty for her.

Our tour departs in Anchorage after an overnight downtown , and boards the McKinley explorer for the McKinley Chalet overnight... And while the final day of Cruise tour includes includes a flight back from FAirbanks to Anchorage, we will transfer straight away to a bus for the ship.

Therefore any exploration of Anchorage will basically be on our own... but research on this board and others makes it seem an accessable enough city.

Any recommendations are most appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance!

We've booked a great HAL cruisetour that sounds like it will meet the needs of amusing the kids, as well as not overwelming my MIL who needs a wheelchair to get about. I am not exploring B & B's only out of concerns about steps and handicapped accessabilty for her.

Our tour departs in Anchorage after an overnight downtown , and boards the McKinley explorer for the McKinley Chalet overnight... And while the final day of Cruise tour includes includes a flight back from FAirbanks to Anchorage, we will transfer straight away to a bus for the ship.

Therefore any exploration of Anchorage will basically be on our own... but research on this board and others makes it seem an accessable enough city.

Any recommendations are most appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance!

Anchorage is an accessable city with a car. :) What are your plans?? I would determine this - then the hotel location. As a suggestion only- be certain you have plenty of games/batteries and perhaps even a DVD player for the kids- extremely few if any go on the land portion cruisetours. Distances are vast- 8 hours on the train, and another 6++ on the Tundra Wilderness tour. Have a pair of binoculars for everyone.

We are going to be in Anchorage for a few days prior to our cruise. We have the Dimond Center Hotel booked because we have kids with us. The hotel is by the Dimond Center Mall with bowling, ice skating and a movie theatre. Even though it is not "true" Alaska, I thought this would entertain the kids as a break between the touring. Also, we are going to the indoor water park: H2Oasis.

TylerRose...

We also stayed @ The Captain Cook. It is a very nice hotel...you should have not complaints. We traveled w/ two children...and we had a room with a living room, which had a sofa bed in it.

Just a thought: Remember that you are changing time zones...and you will probably be arriving in Anchorage late at night.

We stayed 2 nights pre-cruise....and we needed that first whole day just to rest and get a bit adjusted to the time change...and the "no darkness".

In case you have not checked, the options are few and the costs are many in Anchorage in the summer. Rates look more like NYC.

We want a room only because our flights do not leave till midnight and getting up so early to get off the ship makes for a really long day. Seems a shame to spend $150-$200 for a room and barely use it, even though we will share it among 5 of us.

Ouch.

Archived