Taller ladies...do you wear heels?

OceanSea

I'm 5'8" so I'm not too tall but I'm tall enough that I feel like I'm towering over everyone in heels. I have a nice pair of black peep toe pumps that I have had for five years and they are usually my go-to for shoes. I also have a pair of black flats. I'm wondering if there are any reasonably priced shoes that have a small heel (two inches or less)? Or do you think black flats would be ok to wear in the dining room?

I have seen women wearing beautiful flats or low heeled shoes, even on formal nights. The only heels I wear are less than two inches tall, and I feel quite dressed up in them. Other times, I wear a pair of black flats that have tiny black beaded decoration.

I would say it depends more on your age and the condition of your arches than on your height, but that's just me.

I'm 5'9" and I wear heels whenever I get the chance (which as a SAHM, is not too often!). For me it doesn't have anything to do with height--I choose whatever shoes I think will look good with an outfit, and are suitable for the occasion. If that's heels, I go for heels (often 3"), and if it's flats, I go for those. I often get the comment that "you're so tall in those shoes", which is true, and yes, I tower over people, including my 5'8" husband.

I envy you taller ladies! I'm only 5'6 and a half inches and wish I were about 2 inches taller. I don't wear heels often, but love the tall feeling it gives me.

Just want you to know that I admire you and love to see you in heels...don't wear flats if you don't have to :)

Generally I love my height. I used to be self conscious about it when I was younger but not anymore.

Anyway, went to look at some shoes that we got from my grandmother's house and found some that should work. Maybe a bit "older" looking but I would just be wearing them under a long dress so they wouldn't really be seen, just the tips. I just hate wearing floor length dresses with flats, it feels weird to me. So, thankfully I've found a compromise. :D Not flats but not too high of a heel.

I'm 5'6", so not tall. But my husband is only 5'8". I do wear heels up to 4", so I'm taller than he is.

My sister is 5'9" with a 5'8" dh. She also wears up to 4" heels.

I say if you like wearing them, then go for it.

I'm another "vertically gifted" gal at 6ft tall. I don't generally wear any heels over 2", but I won't wear something like ballet flats. I like a litle bit of a heel to feel dressed up. I see so many pretty dressy, strappy sandals that I would love to wear, but I feel that 3" or more heels are just too high for me. Yesterday I bought a pretty pair of black sandals that I would say are almost 2" high. Taking them on my cruise next week.

I am 5'7" and a half. I wear heels often, I love them. I have absolutely no problem being tall. My husband is 6'1" and at times I am nearly as tall as he is. He does not mind. I wear any shoes that I like and that I think look good with my outfit. I must admit that I have few low heels. I think the higher ones are prettier.

If someone feels weird that I am taller than they are, then it is their own hang up, not mine.

I'm 5'10'' and feel self conscious in high heels - though I love them. In our shops at the moment there are absolutely loads of jewelled ballet flats and kitten heels which I'm buying like mad. As well as plain leather sandals and 'Chanel' style flats, I've just bought gladiator type sandals covered in clear gems, zebra flats edged in pink with pink and lilac gems on the toes, flat pink and lilac jewelled sandals, black kitten heel sandals with clear gems all over the straps - oh there are loads to choose from!! I just know I'l get more - it would be bad manners not to really when they're there on the shelves!!! :o Anyone in UK love Next's range of 'Gorgeous Flats'?

I am 5'11" now that I have shrunk in my old age (41), tee hee. I never wore heels when I was younger and did not really start until I was in my 30's. I am much more likely to wear wedges than pumps or stilettos. DH is 5'9" and he does not care if I wear heels, but in pictures I try to be in flats or a small wedge to make the difference in our heights less. DS(12) is already at 5'3" so we are excited to see how high he goes. For our last cruise, I got some beautiful silver metallic flats with sparkly gems and pearls on them. I have a pair of gold metallic quilted mary jane style wedges as well. Between those and a pair of black suede mary jane flats, I am fairly covered for dressy shoes.

i am 5'8" i LOVE being TALL and would wear HEELs in a heartbeat IF i could....my years ago ACL repair makes it hard to wear the HEELs of any height really and then my feet swell with the humidity/sea-air so i basically have to wear little or no heel or flip flop style (most comfy for the swollen feet)

Im 5'7 1/2 and you betcha Im wearing my heels! I wear them in everyday life dress up occasions,{not many Im a SAHM too}or even with jeans,so sure!!:DANd my DH is 6'0,so yes,at time he and I are the same height.

But I will admit,I feel like a giant sometimes,as Im tall and big hipped, but Im not going to let that stop me from dressing how I want to.;)

Warm Breezes, Im the runt of my siblings,even though Im the oldest. Brother is 6'5 and sister is 5'10. I was 5'8, but have scoliosis,so ive already begun to shrink.

Here's my opinion on it. I'm super short 4'11" so you'd think I'd wear heels all the time. Nope I'm perfectly fine in flats, sandals etc. I think the same applies to tall people. Go with whatever you are comfortable in and looks good. If you can rock heels do it!

Here's my opinion on it. I'm super short 4'11" so you'd think I'd wear heels all the time. Nope I'm perfectly fine in flats, sandals etc. I think the same applies to tall people. Go with whatever you are comfortable in and looks good. If you can rock heels do it!

I totally agree with wearing what you are comfortable in. I wear scrubs and nursing shoes all day so I love to dress up and wear heels when I can however even at 5'7" I don't like to wear anything over 2". They just hurt my feet too much and for me at least, are hard to walk in. My BF is 6'5" and I actually wish I could wear a little higher heel when we go out together but 2" is about my comfort limit. The stilhettos are beautuful but they're not for me.

Im 5'7 1/2 and you betcha Im wearing my heels! I wear them in everyday life dress up occasions,{not many Im a SAHM too}or even with jeans,so sure!!:DANd my DH is 6'0,so yes,at time he and I are the same height.

But I will admit,I feel like a giant sometimes,as Im tall and big hipped, but Im not going to let that stop me from dressing how I want to.;)

Warm Breezes, Im the runt of my siblings,even though Im the oldest. Brother is 6'5 and sister is 5'10. I was 5'8, but have scoliosis,so ive already begun to shrink.

But its really sad when you have to start looking up at your kids when they turn 12 (DS) and 13 (DD) and you're 5'9":(. You should see the people that stare at us when we go into/out of restaurants/elevators:eek:. We must look like a family of giants. DS(15) is currently 6'6" and is really self-conscious about his height (except on the basketball court of course.)

At 5'11" I tend to wear 2.5" heels on the cruise. My favorite brand is Soft Spot when on the ship since they have a chuckier heel for more stability. Off the ships I have been seen rockin' 4" heels. Do I tower over most people? Of course I do, but I stopped worrying about that years ago. At 38 I like that fact that people look up to me. :D

Basically, wear the shoes that YOU feel comfortable wearing.

I'm about 5'7", but my husband is 5'6", and I haven't worn heels in so long because I felt funny being taller than him that now I can't even walk in them anymore. :(

I did buy a new pair of shoes with a small heel for the cruise, and I'll have to practice walking in them again. My feet are also huge (11) and wide, so it's hard finding comfortable shoes. If anyone is on my cruise and sees a lady limping around the day after elegant night, that will probably be me. LOL

MD, I too wear an 11,but mine are more on the narrow side. big foot women uninte! Makes me mad sister is taller and only wears an 8.lol.

Warm~ I come from pretty tall stock on 2 quaters of my sides.My Mom is 5'6. So she can relate looking up to her kids.I had to stop whomping on my brother by the time he was 12 b/c he got taller than me.{i was 13} But Nah,yall aint a family of Giants, you just eat your Wheaties is all.;)

Tell yall what kind I cant stand is wedge shoes. like I said I have big feet,and big legs,and pretty flat feet.Dont know about how you other taller ladies feel,but I think they make my ankles look HUGE! a narrow heel makes my tree trunks look slimmer but not a wedge. Anyone else?

You know, I never really was a 'shoes' person until the last couple of years, but now I am in LOVE with platform heels. Some are actually pretty comfortable! I'm 5'10'' and thin, and when I wear them into a room there are often audible 'gasps' and I hear some ladies go, "She must be a model" because some of my Michael Kors 5 inch ones make me 6'3''! And, yes, I tower over my husband who is 5'11". But I say, ladies, if you like them, ...go for it! To me, it's powerful AND sexy.

I am 5'7" and DH is 5'10" and I definitely wear heels!

When I wear the platform 5" wedge heels I am taller than DH but I don't care and he doesn't either!

As long as I am comfortable in the shoes I don't care that I tower over people!:)

Archived