DINNER IN PARIS & Seine River Cruise

partymaker

We are thinking about doing a Seine River Cruise and dinner at 58 Tour Eiffel (1st floor restaurant in Eiffel Tower)....an internet tour company Paris-trip.com for 138 euros per person including hotel pick up. HAS ANYONE DONE ANYTHINGT LIKE THIS....is there a less expensive way to do the river cruise and have a nice dinner somewhere else????Would love some suggestions.

Karen

We are thinking about doing a Seine River Cruise and dinner at 58 Tour Eiffel (1st floor restaurant in Eiffel Tower)....an internet tour company Paris-trip.com for 138 euros per person including hotel pick up. HAS ANYONE DONE ANYTHINGT LIKE THIS....is there a less expensive way to do the river cruise and have a nice dinner somewhere else????Would love some suggestions.

Karen

You can do this tour through this group. Personally, I like to do much on my own in Paris, allowing more flexibility to move at my pace, spend as much or as little time at each place as needed. Tell us more on how much time you have for Paris and your budget flexiblity/range. Many group tours can give a feeling of being moved like "cattle" and does not allow for getting the "real feel" for Paris.

Although at the heart of Europe, Paris is very individualistic and intuitive. The city has attracted great writers artists and thinkers. Historically, it has been a city of unrest, rebellion and revolution (an idea they helped finance in America and that lead to the sharp-edged 1789 removal of the Royal family in France). Paris has a special style and soul. It is a high-flying mix of architecture, fashion, history, idiosyncrasy, style, texture, color and atmosphere. Paris is romantic, distinctive!

Below are some added options to consider, photo examples for what you can see and enjoy, etc.

SEINE BOAT TRIP (can board at Pont Neuf), great views of famous Paris sights, especially at night as major buildings are lighted. From this website (www. vedettesdupontneuf.com), you can get more detailed information on one of the companies offering these trips.

LE MARAIS Area, NE of Hotel de Ville/City Hall, has Musee Picasso (structure built in 1659, opened in 1985 to settle his estate, open Wednesday-Monday 9:15 5:15) and Musee Carnavalet (built in 1540, two adjoining mansions with decorative arts from the various periods in Paris history), older area starting around metro St Paul station, has Jewish section in area with special foods and historic areas. It has the super great park and architecture of the Place des Vogue area. The Place des Vosges was the prototype for the residential squares of European cities that were to come. What was new about the Place Royale in 1612 was that the house fronts were all built to the same design, of red brick with strips of stone over vaulted arcades that stand on square pillars. Cardinal Richelieu had an equestrian bronze of Louis XIII placed in the center of this charming park. Nearby is Brasserie Bofinger, one of the oldest and classiest places to dine. It has a gorgeous domed stained-glass ceiling over the main dining room.

ILE SAINT LOUIS, is one of the most charming little areas in all of Paris. So nice to stroll up its main street as you walk towards Notre Dame and other key highlights. Famed Berthillon ice cream: The only true Berthillon can be found at 31, rue St Louis-en-l'Ile, where it was born. This delicious ice cream has rich colors and equally intense flavors. It comes in myriad flavors, but the rum raisin, dark chocolate (chocolat noir) and mango (mangue) flavors are incredible. This is divine dessert territory. Lots of Boutique shopping and dining places line this street in the heart of Paris. Try Brasserie Ile St-Louis, 55 quai de Bourbon, 1er (tel. 01/43/54-02-59), that Frommers calls the last independent brasserie in Paris. They note: “Far from the polished restaurants that masquerade as true brasseries, this one has as its heart old Paris.”

MUSEE D'ORSAY (door-say) (closed Monday, open 10-6, except Thursday 10 am-9:45 pm), covers 1848-1914 period and is especially great for Impressionist art. It is a former railway station and hotel with an excellent cafe in museum (doing lunch in this spectacular dining room is a nice way to break up the visit, re-charge and get nice food service). This dining area is a magnificent space defined by enormous windows, lighted by crystal chandeliers with gilded decoration bringing out the radiance of the sculpted ceilings. Thursday night is perfect for walk from museum west toward Assemblee Nationale and cross Seine River bridge towards Place de la Concorde seeing all of the building lighted and then looking back towards Eiffel Tower; Place de la Concorde was designed in 1775. From this website (http://www.musee-orsay.fr/en), you can get more detailed information.

Lots more options and suggestions that I can share if you have the time and interest.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

On a nice Paris day, people are enjoying the Louvre courtyard, the Louvre's famed glass pyramid by architect IM Pei and in the background the Arc de Triomphe du Carrousel built in 1805: :

LouvreGlaPryr.jpg

Dinner at Bofiner in the Marais area with its unique ceiling and charming interior:

BofinerDinner.jpg

On the wonderfully charming ille St. Louis island, this flower shop is so nice along with other shops there:

StLouisFlowSp.jpg

At the Tuileries, there are gardens, cafes and places to sit, watch and enjoy near the Louvre:

TulGardensScul.jpg

At the d’Orsay Museum, this was the grand dining room of the hotel that was part of the previous train station. Now, dining here breaks up the day during a long day of standing and walking:

ParDOrsDining.jpg

Here is a sample from the small and charming Rodin Museum that features his studio/home and the grounds that are filled with his sculpture:

RodinMusMainHse.jpg

Thank you Terry for your prompt reply. My husband and I are only in Paris for one night. Our three adult children will be staying for a total of three days. For our one night in Paris I would like to have a good dinner (not more than $80 TO $100.00 per person if possible)....and I would like to go on the Seine River cruise or perhaps a bus tour so I can see the sights of Paris at night with all of the beautiful lights. Any suggestions how we can do this???

Thanks again,

Karen

Thank you Terry for your prompt reply. My husband and I are only in Paris for one night. Our three adult children will be staying for a total of three days. For our one night in Paris I would like to have a good dinner (not more than $80 TO $100.00 per person if possible)....and I would like to go on the Seine River cruise or perhaps a bus tour so I can see the sights of Paris at night with all of the beautiful lights. Any suggestions how we can do this???

Thanks again,

Karen

You've got lots of great options if use that one tour or to do it "on your own". You can go to this website to find our more on an introductory bus tour of Paris.

http://www.pariscityrama.com/en

You can easily, DIY, do all three . . . bus tour of key highlights, river cruise, evening dinner, plus many more sights and stops. Paris is an easy city for walking around and seeing more, people watching, etc. Are you interested in having a private tour fit to your personal needs and interests? Here is a person to check with for that potential private, custom tours:

parisphototours@aol.com

Or, her websites of

http://www.lindamathieu.com/paris

EXCELLENT PARIS WEBSITES:

http://www.paris.org

http://www.travel-in-paris.com

http://www.paris-touristoffice.com

Here is the website for Brasserie Bofinger and how to connect with them to make a reservation there. Their costs would be much less than that $80-100 range.

http://www.bofingerparis.com

There are many more dining options in Paris. Tell me more details, specifics about your dining interests and I can make more suggestions. Below are a few more visual samples of your many options in Paris for you and/or your children.

In the Marais, this covered walkway is a part of the Place des Vosges that was the prototype for the residential squares of European cities that were to come. These brick designs date to 1612.:

ParMaraisMusic.jpg

Inside the d”Orsay Museum with post-1850’s art, an old train station was converted to housing treasures, including from Monet, van Gogh, Renoir, etc.:

ParDOrsyInside.jpg

This is one scenic part of the large park grounds around Luxembourg Palace:

ParLuxGardens.jpg

At the wonderful small and charming Rodin Museum, his studio/home and the grounds are filled with his sculpture. Here’s some folks looking at the key parts to one of his famed pieces:

ParRodinGuys.jpg

The famed 1860’s Opera House has recently restored its spectacular reception hall:

OperaHsInt.jpg

The Eiffel Tower with a statute in the foreground:

EilfelStatue.jpg

Hi Partymaker. We ate at Altitude 95 at the Eiffel Tower. Food was very good and eating here allowed us to bypass the first set of lines at the bottom. If you really want to go to the top of the Eiffel Tower during your visit, I would recommend it. Note that you will still have to wait in lines to get to the top from the restaurant level. The Eiffel Tower tends to be jam packed during the summer so if you are tight on time, I might take that into consideration.

As to other dining options, we really enjoy the St Germain area and the cafes- Les Deux Maggots is probably our favorite. Also, watching sunset on the Artists' Bridge (famous wooden bridge- great spot for sunset looking on to the Eiffel Tower in the distance; tons of locals come here- bring some wine and cheese or a pastry; local musicians play too- it is one of our favorite evening things to do in Paris).

The Seine River tour at night is incredible. Make sure you walk by Notre Dame on foot too- it is breathtaking at night. And if you don't want to go to the top of the Eiffel Tower and are there during the summer, hit the ferris wheel at the carnival next to the Tuilleries Gardens. Same carnival has been there each of the last two summers and it gives you a similar perspective minus the lines and at significantly lower cost.

Have a great trip!

Terry...should we have dinner at Brasserie Ile St.Louis that you talked about???

Karen

This option/location can work out well, too. My view is that it is hard to have a bad meal in France. Apply the eyeball test! If it looks too touristy and the people sitting there (or the staff) are bored and uninterested, then that place probably should be avoided. If it looks like there are locals there and/or they are enjoying it, then it will probably be very good. Or maybe even better!

It's a Brasserie or bistro, so it's not high, high end for its style, but you're not paying those kind of prices, either. This place still gets good reviews and ratings. It has a great location right near Notre Dame.

Karen

Skip the tour. Bateau Mouche leaves from the docks right beside the Tour eifel. I have a favorite restaurant in the 12th, L'Oulette. they have a pre fixe dinner that is heavenly and includes wine. Otherwise I agree with pretty much everything above. the restaurant recommendation would be easier if one knew where your hotel is as there are more pretty girls than one - and more good restos as well.

Thank you again Terry for your wonderful pictures....I am a "little" clearer on what we want to do now. We will have dinner at Bofinger Brasserie or Le Grande Colbert and then take the Bateaux Mouches cruise OR a nightlife bus tour to see the LIGHTS OF PARIS. Any thoughts on either of these 2 restaurants and seine cruise or minibus tour????

Thanks so much for all of your help.

Karen (aka partymaker)

Skip the tour. Bateau Mouche leaves from the docks right beside the Tour eifel. I have a favorite restaurant in the 12th, L'Oulette. they have a pre fixe dinner that is heavenly and includes wine. Otherwise I agree with pretty much everything above. the restaurant recommendation would be easier if one knew where your hotel is as there are more pretty girls than one - and more good restos as well.

Thank you again Terry for your wonderful pictures....I am a "little" clearer on what we want to do now. We will have dinner at Bofinger Brasserie or Le Grande Colbert and then take the Bateaux Mouches cruise OR a nightlife bus tour to see the LIGHTS OF PARIS. Any thoughts on either of these 2 restaurants and seine cruise or minibus tour???? Karen (aka partymaker)

Hi, Karen! Which dining place would be best for you? They both look super great with wonderful histories. We've dined at Bofinger Brasserie and we enjoyed it very much. We stopped by Le Grande Colbert and saw it. Below is a picture. Didn't dine there. Part of it might depend on your logistics as you are planning your walking and traveling around in Paris. Here their website for more info:

http://www.legrandcolbert.fr

THANKS for the nice comments on the pictures! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

One of Paris’ most historic and spectacular dining rooms is at Le Grande Colbert. It is near the Palais Royale gardens. Part of the Jack Nicholson-Diane Keaton film "Something's Gotta Give” was filmed there. It is named for Louis XIV’s famed minister.:

ParisColbertRest.jpg

Thanks again Terry for your amazing help. We are staying at the Le Meridien Etoile (near the convention center and across from a shopping mall). Do you have any idea which would be better...........should we plan on taking a cab???

Regards,

Karen (akaPartymaker)

Hi, Karen! Which dining place would be best for you? They both look super great with wonderful histories. We've dined at Bofinger Brasserie and we enjoyed it very much. We stopped by Le Grande Colbert and saw it. Below is a picture. Didn't dine there. Part of it might depend on your logistics as you are planning your walking and traveling around in Paris. Here their website for more info:

www.legrandcolbert.fr

THANKS for the nice comments on the pictures! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

One of Paris’ most historic and spectacular dining rooms is at Le Grande Colbert. It is near the Palais Royale gardens. Part of the Jack Nicholson-Diane Keaton film "Something's Gotta Give” was filmed there. It is named for Louis XIV’s famed minister.:

ParisColbertRest.jpg

Thanks again Terry for your amazing help. We are staying at the Le Meridien Etoile (near the convention center and across from a shopping mall). Do you have any idea which would be better...........should we plan on taking a cab???Karen

Your hotel is several blocks from the nearest station for the #3/dark green Metro line. That line is not the most handy or easiest in reaching many key parts of Paris, including these two dining places. It can work, but it is not ideal. Cabs are fairly costly and more limited in Paris. Much depends on your budget and personal tastes. Have you used the Paris Metro before?

Don't know your reason for picking this hotel, but it is not perfect in its location, nor having much "charm" with its modern, 1950's style of design. It can all work. Did you have any better or other options?

Terry...I think I really made a bad mistake. It was a one-day sale on TRAVEL ZOO in January and I booked the hotel because it was a Le Meridian and in California that is a very good chain. It is non-refundable. I have difficulty walking, broke my femur & hip in an auto asccident and use a walker. How expensive are cabs???? I was in Paris for one day on a cruise ship tour 10 years ago. I was told there was a metro station across from the hotel....is this wrong??? If necessary I will eat somewhere close to the hotel and then book a tour with a minibus that picks up and drops off at the hotel. What do you think???

Karen

Your hotel is several blocks from the nearest station for the #3/dark green Metro line. That line is not the most handy or easiest in reaching many key parts of Paris, including these two dining places. It can work, but it is not ideal. Cabs are fairly costly and more limited in Paris. Much depends on your budget and personal tastes. Have you used the Paris Metro before?

Don't know your reason for picking this hotel, but it is not perfect in its location, nor having much "charm" with its modern, 1950's style of design. It can all work. Did you have any better or other options?

Terry...I think I really made a bad mistake. It was a one-day sale on TRAVEL ZOO in January and I booked the hotel because it was a Le Meridian and in California that is a very good chain. It is non-refundable. I have difficulty walking, broke my femur & hip in an auto asccident and use a walker. How expensive are cabs???? I was in Paris for one day on a cruise ship tour 10 years ago. I was told there was a metro station across from the hotel....is this wrong??? If necessary I will eat somewhere close to the hotel and then book a tour with a minibus that picks up and drops off at the hotel. What do you think???

Karen

Don't punish yourself too much, Karen!!! It's not like you made a "terrible" decision that's Mission Impossible to fix. It can still work out. It might cost a little extra for cabs, but that's not a zillion dollars. If you check Google.com's map function, you will see that your hotel is at 81 Boulevard Gouvion Saint-Cyr, 75848 Cedex 17, Paris, 75017. Your hotel is about 1000 feet to the SW of the Porte de Champerret station. Most Paris Metro stations involve some stairs and other walking, especially if you need to change lines to get to where you seek. Here are some tips for using the Metro in Paris:

PARIS METRO/SUBWAY: Great, great system! Probably best to buy packets of ten tickets, rather than a multi-day, three or five day pass. There are fourteen different subway lines, plus the four different suburban RER rail options. It is important to know which line or lines you want to use, IN ADVANCE, and the name of the end station for your direction so that you go down the right set of stairs to be on the correct side of the tracks. It's not as simple as New York City with uptown or downtown! But it offers totally great, fast, frequent service. Very clean and nice! Single tickets (1.60 Euros) may be purchased at the counters each time, but the better value is a carnet of 10 (11.40 Euros), which will also save you waiting in line. For all day use, for adults (there is a cheaper children’s daily pass), the pass cost in euros is for one day (8.80), two days (14.4), three days (19.6), or five days (28.3). Compared to London, the daily pass might not be the best value. It depends on your needs. WEBSITE for maps and other info/details: http://www.ratp.info/touristes/index.php?langue=en

Paris cabs might cost $12-16 for a trip from your hotel to the Marais, as a rough guess and example, depending on traffic, etc. Per http://www.taxi-paris.net the minimum cab charge is six euro for a trip. It costs about one euro per km traveled. The euro today is down to $1.32 which is much better than when it was at $1.50-$1.58 just twenty months ago. Does this help?

Hi Terry,

I have enjoyed your post so much!! The one thing I know for sure is that after looking at your pictures I am very sad that we only have two nights, one and a half days in Paris. It looks like I could spend endless weeks there. If you had only a day and a half in Paris how would you spend it? We are staying at a hotel near the Eiffel Tower. The name of the hotel escapes me right now but I will look it up. It is so hard when you have so little time and don't want to miss anything. I realize seeing it all will be impossible so I guess what I'm asking is, as someone who seems very well versed on the subject, how would you spend the time if it were your one and only trip to Paris?

most restaurants have english menus, Paris itself is very tourist friendly. Try a little simple French (Bonjour, when walking into a shop. Merci, and Si Vous Plait (Thank you and please) will get you a long way.

If you have limited time in Paris avoid the Museums. Take a cruise on the Seine for an overview. See the tower, Arc du Triomphe, Notre Dame, walk along the Seine, and the Champs Elysees, go to Sacre Couer. That will probably do you, but otherwise my favorite building is the Opera. Outside and in a marvel of design. As is the city hall (Hotel de Ville)

there is so much to see and so little time. See what you can and come back. (Tuilleries Gardens, did I mention? )

Thanks for the input or should I say Merci!

It all sounds so wonderful and makes me so anxious to go. It would have been great to have more time but it will be wonderful just to be there and hopefully we will be back some day. Our hotel is Pullman Paris Eiffel.

Hi Terry,

I have enjoyed your post so much!! The one thing I know for sure is that after looking at your pictures I am very sad that we only have two nights, one and a half days in Paris. It looks like I could spend endless weeks there. If you had only a day and a half in Paris how would you spend it? We are staying at a hotel near the Eiffel Tower. The name of the hotel escapes me right now but I will look it up. It is so hard when you have so little time and don't want to miss anything. I realize seeing it all will be impossible so I guess what I'm asking is, as someone who seems very well versed on the subject, how would you spend the time if it were your one and only trip to Paris?

THANKS for your nice and kind comments! You've gotten some good suggestions from moyaroo. Agree with him that the Opera House is super spectacular!!!!

What's best for you in your limited time in Paris? Tell us more about where you are from, past Europe travel experience, personal travel interests, number in your party, ages, budget flexibility, what you are doing after Paris, etc.? How much are you interested in history, museums, food, wine, art, music, shopping, architecture, etc.? Then, with more detailed information from you, we can make better, more specific suggestions on what best fits your needs and interests.

The good news is that Paris is fairly compact and handy for "walking around" in certain key areas. You might consider taking a tour from these people to get a good, opening "introduction" for the key Paris highlights. Check them at:

http://www.pariscityrama.com/en

The bad news is that your hotel is not handy to the Metro and its design is fairly boring, concrete and misses the "character and charm" that is so wonderful about the better parts of Paris. Are you locked in there at that hotel and location?

We love areas such as the Marais, Left Bank, Ile St. Louis, etc. with their historic feel. Look forward to learning more from you. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Thanks for the reply Terry,

We are from Iowa and have very limited past travel experience in Europe. We were in England and Scotland many years ago and that is the extent of it. There is just my husband and myself traveling together on this trip which is an 18 day Paris and the Heart of Europe cruise through Uniworld. Our hotel is part of the package so we are pretty much committed to that. It looked like such a great location to me?? We arrive on June 6 in the afternoon and are on our own that day. The following day (my birthday!!) Uniworld will give us a half day tour of the city leaving us with the rest of that day and evening. We leave by motor coach the next day to get on our cruise through Germany and Austria.

My interests are varied. I enjoy museums but don't see that working with the time restrictions. I love architecture and am always interested in history as well. I, of course, love good food and wine. I think my main objective is to hit the highlights and see the things I have always seen associated with Paris. I really wish our tour was on the 6th so we could get a feel for the city and the location of things and the best way to get to what we want to see, etc. I also love the idea of just walking around, eating at a sidewalk cafe, etc. I really wish we had booked a couple extra days but as it is we will be gone nearly three weeks so we talked ourselves out of it so now I am just trying to make the most of what we have.

Thank you so much for your time and trouble!!

Ok, here is what I'm thinking tell me if it sounds like it would be a good plan. We arrive in Paris the afternoon of the 6th. We will need to shower and change after flying all night but then I am thinking to head to Versailles if we can figure out how to get there.(?) When we return we could take a Seine river cruise to look at the city at night. The next morning, if we are not to tired to move, I would like to forgo our included tour and try to get up early and head to the Eiffel Tower before the lines form and go to the top. After this I thought it might be a good idea to catch a hop on hop off bus and tour the city that way giving us the chance to get off at the main sights and any others that look interesting. In the evening we could just walk around and maybe find a nice place to eat, get a nice bottle of wine and head back to the room.

Does this sound like it should work and give us a good chance of seeing Paris in the time we have?

You guys are such amazing help! I have dreamed of seeing Paris as long as I can remember. I am so thrilled to actually have the opportunity! I want to leave feeling content with what I have seen so I feel the need to have it thought out before I get there. I just hope jet lag and exhaustion doesn't throw a wrench in the works.

Thanks and Merci once again!

We are from Iowa and have very limited past travel experience in Europe. We were in England and Scotland many years ago and that is the extent of it. There is just my husband and myself traveling together on this trip which is an 18 day Paris and the Heart of Europe cruise through Uniworld. Our hotel is part of the package so we are pretty much committed to that. It looked like such a great location to me?? We arrive on June 6 in the afternoon and are on our own that day. The following day (my birthday!!) Uniworld will give us a half day tour of the city leaving us with the rest of that day and evening. We leave by motor coach the next day to get on our cruise through Germany and Austria. My interests are varied. I enjoy museums but don't see that working with the time restrictions. I love architecture and am always interested in history as well. I, of course, love good food and wine. I think my main objective is to hit the highlights and see the things I have always seen associated with Paris. I really wish our tour was on the 6th so we could get a feel for the city and the location of things and the best way to get to what we want to see, etc. I also love the idea of just walking around, eating at a sidewalk cafe, etc. I really wish we had booked a couple extra days but as it is we will be gone nearly three weeks so we talked ourselves out of it so now I am just trying to make the most of what we have.

THANKS for the added information! Your first challenge is that after a long, long trans-Atlantic flight, what you can do when you arrive in Paris will be limited that first day in Europe. Given the time-zone changes, body clock being messed up and the significant time it takes to arrive at massive de Gaulle airport, get baggage, go through customs, getting into main Paris, being checked in, unpack, etc., do NOT plan anything major that first afternoon. Trying to go to Versailles and back that afternoon would be highly unlikely. IT ALL TAKES TIME! That first day in Paris is not a full day, only a smaller fraction of effective time to see, do and enjoy a few limited things.

Clearly, it would have been best to have arrived in Paris a couple days earlier. The lines tend to be fairly long at the Eiffel Tower. Is your budget flexible? I would take a cab to the areas around Notre Dame and see some of these close-by options:

1. NOTRE DAME AND PALAIS DE JUSTICE on island of Seine River at site of Paris' start; Notre Dame completed during the 1163-1345 period, tours 9:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.; famous southern Rose Windows, climb up 380 steps of the tower for the best views of the city; Sunday night 5:30 p.m. organ concerts; famous Rose stained glass windows; Sainte Chapelle near Palais de Justice is 700 years old with outstanding stained glass windows; La Conciergerie is prison where many, including Marie Antoinette were held prior to being guillotined, is well-light at night with its unique architecture, functioned as prison from 1391 to 1914. Cathedral is open every day of the year from 8:00 am to 6:45 pm (7:15 pm on Saturdays and Sundays). Web site: http://www.cathedraledeparis.com. PRIORITY

2. SEINE BOAT TRIP (can board at Pont Neuf), great views of famous Paris sights, especially at night as major buildings are lighted. From this website (www. vedettesdupontneuf.com), you can get more detailed information on one of the companies offering these trips.

3. ILE SAINT LOUIS is one of the most charming little areas in all of Paris. So nice to stroll up its main street as you walk towards Notre Dame and other key highlights. Famed Berthillon ice cream: The only true Berthillon can be found at 31, rue St Louis-en-l'Ile, where it was born. This delicious ice cream has rich colors and equally intense flavors. It comes in myriad flavors, but the rum raisin, dark chocolate (chocolat noir) and mango (mangue) flavors are incredible. This is divine dessert territory. Lots of Boutique shopping and dining places line this street in the heart of Paris. Try Brasserie Ile St-Louis, 55 quai de Bourbon, 1er (tel. 01/43/54-02-59), that Frommers calls the last independent brasserie in Paris. They note: “Far from the polished restaurants that masquerade as true brasseries, this one has as its heart old Paris.”

Since you love architecture, you might consider this area on your second day:

LE MARAIS Area, NE of Hotel de Ville/City Hall, is an older area starting around metro St Paul station. It was the Jewish section in an area with special foods and historic areas. It has the super great park and architecture of the Place des Vogue area. The Place des Vosges was the prototype for the residential squares of European cities that were to come. What was new about the Place Royale in 1612 was that the house fronts were all built to the same design, of red brick with strips of stone over vaulted arcades that stand on square pillars. Cardinal Richelieu had an equestrian bronze of Louis XIII placed in the center of this charming park. Nearby is Brasserie Bofinger, one of the oldest and classiest places to dine (http://www.bofingerparis.com). It has a gorgeous domed stained-glass ceiling over the main dining room.

Many, many more options. After your tour, you will have other ideas to consider. So much to see and so little time. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Archived