So if I don't get the unlimited soda card.....

OK, this may sound stupid, but I have been going back and forth on whether to get an unlimited soda card. I'm a major coke drinker, but it seems like it would be easier to bring my own on board so I don't have to keep finding a place to order it. My questions are:

When you order (and pay) for a coke in the MDR, do they give you the whole can instead of a small glass like it seems you get with the soda card?

Can you use drink coupons in the buffet area and MDR?

I know I probably sound stupid, but I've only been on Disney (where I drank way too much soda...because I could), and keep finding this to be the thing I can't decide on. Any other opinions or info would be great.

You can use the soda card at any bar. So, yes, you can use it in the MDR and on the Lido deck at the buffet. Basically, if there is a bar, you can use the card to get your soda. At the dining room they will bring you the can (or at least they have every time for us). You can also ask for the can whenever you use your card to get one at any bar.

I like taking our sodas b/c I like them cold (we keep them in a cooler in the room with ice...thank you room steward!). But we're flying on the next cruise, so we'll be getting the cards.

I guess it's a question of how much soda you think you will drink each day. I bought a coke last trip and it was something like $2.25 including gratuity. I got it in the atrium bar and they gave me the can. I haven't ordered one in the MDR but everywhere else, I've been given the can as well. I would be inclined to say they would given it's bar service.

You can bring a 12 pack on board. If any non-soda drinkers are with you, they can bring a 12 pack. My friend bought the card and I about passed out when she told me it was $50.

Someone else will have to tackle the coupon question... :)

They do bring you the whole can in the dining room and a glass of ice for it (with the soda card I mean)... thats been what everyone Iv seen got, a whole can. Not sure what ship you were on to only get a glass of soda.

Now they are limiting you to carrying on 12 sodas per person, so if you drink more than one a day, that might not be enough.

Now they are limiting you to carrying on 12 sodas per person, so if you drink more than one a day, that might not be enough.

Replenishing in port shouldn't be a problem? I've not heard of a limit on soft drinks there.

They do bring you the whole can in the dining room and a glass of ice for it (with the soda card I mean)... thats been what everyone Iv seen got, a whole can. Not sure what ship you were on to only get a glass of soda.

On last week's cruise, my friend was brought just a glass at each dinner. However, this was also brought without her having to ask. Given the lack of service everywhere else, we were impressed by that!

Replenishing in port shouldn't be a problem? I've not heard of a limit on soft drinks there.

Good point and to add frosting to that cake, sodas in places like Mexico taste better than America due to them using Sugar, not HFCS.

Good point and to add frosting to that cake, sodas in places like Mexico taste better than America due to them using Sugar, not HFCS.

Well, actually Iv been noticing the abundance of what I assume is Mexican soda in our stores here, Fiesta carries a lot of it especially, and I saw it at the new ALDI too. Most of the labels are in Spanish, so Iv mostly been eyeing it, since I am not sure what flavors it is. (I dont read Spanish).

Well, actually Iv been noticing the abundance of what I assume is Mexican soda in our stores here, Fiesta carries a lot of it especially, and I saw it at the new ALDI too. Most of the labels are in Spanish, so Iv mostly been eyeing it, since I am not sure what flavors it is. (I dont read Spanish).

I was in a Mexican market the other night. I know they carry soft drinks but never thought to check this out. Will do next time I'm there. Interesting.

I was in a Mexican market the other night. I know they carry soft drinks but never thought to check this out. Will do next time I'm there. Interesting.

I might try it, but I look and think well ok, is that root beer?? Is that stawberry, its red?? Who knows.. but they had a lot of kinds at fiesta. We have a new big nice Fiesta that just opened near us.

I usually bring 2 - 12 packs onboard with us as well , and if needed hit a store in a port .

BUT , our next cruise is out of San Jaun , does anyone know , or are they familiar of a grocery store close to the port ? I have been there , but that was never on my mind .

Thanks for any insight .

I might try it, but I look and think well ok, is that root beer?? Is that stawberry, its red?? Who knows.. but they had a lot of kinds at fiesta. We have a new big nice Fiesta that just opened near us.

I'd think twice about picking up a six pack of something I'm not sure I'd like, but snatch a single one in a heartbeat just to find out. Who knows what hidden treasure you might find :D

One of the reasons I like traditional dining rather than anytime is that my waitstaff always has a diet coke waiting for me. I always get the pop card, even though the price is starting to get a little outrageous. On the Pacific Princess (with only 800 pax), the waitstaff would have diet cokes ready for my mom and I even at breakfast and lunch even when it's open seating. Then again, it was the sort of sailing where we were younger than most, the majority of the staff was male, and we ate all 3 meals a day in the small formal dining room.

I saw posts that they limit 12 cans of soda to be carried on--anyone know what the limit for bottled water is? We will have 4 people in our party and doubt we will want 48 bottles, but would like to know for sure what our limit is.

I saw posts that they limit 12 cans of soda to be carried on--anyone know what the limit for bottled water is? We will have 4 people in our party and doubt we will want 48 bottles, but would like to know for sure what our limit is.

used to be a 'reasonable amount' (LOL), but stole this from Host Mach on another thread...

For permitted Items: Carnival limits the size of hand-carry luggage to 24"X 16", which is the dimension of the opening of the X-ray security machine (similar to those used at the airport); there is no measurement for length as the hand-carry luggage will lay flat on the conveyer belt. Luggage larger than 24"X 16" will not be permitted through the security machine and must be checked-in with a curbside porter. Note: Guests bringing the permitted one bottle of wine/champagne and/or small quantity (package of 12 per person) of non-alcoholic beverages must bring these items on board in their carry-on luggage.

http://www.carnival.com/cms/faqs/def...+and+valuables

Hope this helps :)

edit to add... there is no mention of the size of the soda/water bottles... hmmmm.

We usually bring a 12 pack of Diet coke with Lime (my favorite soda), as well as a 12 pack of Diet Dr. Pepper (hubby's addicted to them), and we usually come home with at least half of it not used.

The key benefits are times. If you're pool side, staff may approach you taking drink orders or you can get up at any time and get your own vs going all the way back to your room. Same with other situations, such as dinner than entertainment, eg after leaving the eating at the MDR, much easier to pick up a soda on the way to a show than to go back to your room...

I usually bring 2 - 12 packs onboard with us as well , and if needed hit a store in a port .

BUT , our next cruise is out of San Jaun , does anyone know , or are they familiar of a grocery store close to the port ? I have been there , but that was never on my mind .

Thanks for any insight .

There is a CVS drug store in site of the ship. they carry soda. We were on a B2B in Feb and bought the soda card the first half and bought soda in port for the second half. Much more convenient to have in the room and we are Pepsi drinkers, so not only was it a lot cheaper, but enjoyed more. Just ask the locals...we found it in every port!

If you are addicted to coke like you said, I would buy the soda card and not think twice about it. According to what I have read you would be allowed to only carry on 12 cans for yourself.

The soda card is convenient and the waitstaff does not have an issue with it. Have done it on five cruises.

Maybe the limit on the amount of soda you can bring on board should be a hint to cut down on soda consumption??? Yikes 12 per person is like 1 or 2 per day depending on length of cruise. That stuff is terrible for you - caffeine and sugar/sweetener. The two best drinks for you are free on the ship - water and milk!

That being said, for the people flying in that want to bring their own, you can pick up some soda on the way to port and either buy or bring a soft cooler folded up in your luggage. Or you can keep it on ice in an ice bucket in the room.

With the soda card you can also get pineapple, cranberry, and orange juice at the bars.

I didnt realize they limited the amount of soda. This thread has been helpful to me. I just returned from the Fascination and my check-in luggage was searched. A note was placed in my bag that it was checked due to suspicion of prohibited item. The only thing different in my check-in bag was the canned sodas. Now, I see where I was not suppose to check those in but carry them. (Fortunatly, my sisters Rum Runners made it through without a problem). My son had a similiar incident on a Halloween Cruise. He had his sodas in a bag that he checked in. They literally opened the box containing his 12 pack of cokes ...assuming to check for beer. Didn't touch his liquor that was in his 32oz rum runner in the same bag.

So now that they are limiting the amount of soda brought on at embarkation, can you still pick up soda in ports and bring back on ship for immediate consumption? Or is the 12 pack in the beginning it? Makes a big difference (at least to us) in purchasing the soda card or not...

As far as anyone knows you can still bring it on at port. No one has posted that they've been stopped but this is a fairly new restriction so that could change as more cruisers get in and do reviews.

If you want a soda in your hand all day and with all meals just buy the card, no way you can carry on enough and it would run on a huge bill buying it one at a time. If you just drink one ocassionally carry your max amount on.

Archived