Beware

BEEZALAR

That stinks but it's also the reason why I don't put anything of value in my checked luggage. A good thief could easily get into even a locked bag. There's really no proof that it was a Carnival employee given that the porters aren't employed by Carnival.

Am I the only one wondering why he didn't just put it in the TRUNK of the car if he didn't want it to get stolen? One needs a GPS on a cruiseship like a hole in the head. I put everything I don't want stolen in the carry-on (electronics, jewelry, etc.) and everything else that is replaceable (clothes, shoes, etc.,) in the checked bag. They have been telling people this for YEARS in the travel industry....never, ever, ever pack anything in a checked bag that you can't live without. This is not new information. Really.

Am I the only one wondering why he didn't just put it in the TRUNK of the car if he didn't want it to get stolen? One needs a GPS on a cruiseship like a hole in the head. I put everything I don't want stolen in the carry-on (electronics, jewelry, etc.) and everything else that is replaceable (clothes, shoes, etc.,) in the checked bag. They have been telling people this for YEARS in the travel industry....never, ever, ever pack anything in a checked bag that you can't live without. This is not new information. Really.

Actually, I have heard that a GPS is kinda nice at sea. Those with GPS knew before we were told and before the CD said she was told that we were going into New Orleans, other times, people can tell you how far Puerto Rico is off our bow or whatever... they are nice for those who like to do island sightings.

We had a warning at the hospital that I work at that things were being stolen.. GPS went in the trunk..so yeah, I wondered that also.

Actually, I have heard that a GPS is kinda nice at sea. Those with GPS knew before we were told and before the CD said she was told that we were going into New Orleans, other times, people can tell you how far Puerto Rico is off our bow or whatever... they are nice for those who like to do island sightings.

I didn't know that, thanks fire..always enjoy your posts and have learned a lot from you!:)

Sorry to hear that. You are very lucky, though, that you do not live close to the port. If it was someone who was not actually on the ship that stole it, then all the thief would have to do is click the [Home] button on your GPS, and have a nice raid on your house while you were cruising! :eek:

So another safety tip - don't put your ACTUAL home address in your GPS, just in case it gets stolen.

We have a passwrd that we have to put in before it will do anything..We have registered it too with the company that sold it and if it gets taken we call the company to report it..Then if the taken item is called in to them as it needs to be reset, they will be able to get it back to them and hopefully back to us!! I know..There are people out there that could probably find the word.. But we always keep it my purse so we don't have to worry.. Sorry this happened to you..

I'm one of those people who is just happy to be on the ship on the water. I could care less how far anything is off the bow, lol! Well, except an iceberg.

Edited to say that OP seemed to infer he just didn't want it to get stolen, thus my comment about putting it in the trunk...

I didn't want to leave my GPS in the car while it was parked at the hotel all week so I had it in my bag...

That's not a flame. Go spend some more time on the internet before you start donning fireproof clothing for no reason.

Thanks for your input. My post is not based on this thread alone. Now how much time do I need to spend on the Internet? If you are looking at my post count try again, I lurk way more than I post and was on here under a different name years befor this screen name.

The trunk really isn't much better of an idea to leave stuff. Cars do get broken into, especially when sitting in places where the thieves know they are unattended for a long period of time. From there it's easy to pop the trunk.

I've even seen police advice to wipe your windshield to clean off the little suction cup circles for the GPS when travelling in certain cities. The thieves target those cars for break-ins knowing a lot of people leave the GPS in the glovebox or trunk.

Trunk break ins are a huge problem in many tourist areas. We were warned repeatedly while in Hawaii to NEVER leave anything inside our vehicle or locked in the trunk of a vehicle. The thieves know which cars are unattended and can get into a trunk quickly. :(

Sorry to hear that. You are very lucky, though, that you do not live close to the port. If it was someone who was not actually on the ship that stole it, then all the thief would have to do is click the [Home] button on your GPS, and have a nice raid on your house while you were cruising! :eek:

So another safety tip - don't put your ACTUAL home address in your GPS, just in case it gets stolen.

Lady Jag...thanks...I really did not consider that possibility...and MY GPS is in MY phone...:eek:

The trunk really isn't much better of an idea to leave stuff. Cars do get broken into, especially when sitting in places where the thieves know they are unattended for a long period of time. From there it's easy to pop the trunk.

I've even seen police advice to wipe your windshield to clean off the little suction cup circles for the GPS when travelling in certain cities. The thieves target those cars for break-ins knowing a lot of people leave the GPS in the glovebox or trunk.

Trunk break ins are a huge problem in many tourist areas. We were warned repeatedly while in Hawaii to NEVER leave anything inside our vehicle or locked in the trunk of a vehicle. The thieves know which cars are unattended and can get into a trunk quickly. :(

Interesting, thank you! so no phone, no GPS, no laptop..that works for me!;)

In this particular instance however, I suspect it would've turned out better than what he got. :eek:

I had someone staying at my house and I have an alarm. you can look up anyones address in a phone book by name!

WOW WOW WOW, you just stepped over the line when you said it was Carnival that stole your GPS. It could have been any person that touched your bag, from the time you handed it to the luggage porter outside the terminal.

You have know idea who or when your GPS was stolen, but you are blaming Carnival. You don't have the facts to assume that.

I said someone working for carnival, that would include the luggage handlers that they allow to work at the port. I was at my room when the bags were delivered so it could NOT have been another passenger in the hallway.

Why would you assume it was a Carnival employee. It could have been:

• The porter
  • The security screener
  • A passenger after you bag was dropped in front of your room

The porter, security screeners work under carnival in that compasity. and no passenger could have taken it, I was at my room when it was delivered.

IF you decide to LOCK your luggage you may find your self being called to security to UNLOCK it! The cruise line, Homeland Security, Port Auth and police have the right to go thru your check bags. This can happen if the

"K-9" dogs "alert" to your bag, all bags that the dogs "alert" on are opened and searched.

I NEVER EVER pack anything worth anything in my checked bags. I also carry a change of clothes just in case my bags are lost somewhere or left @ the curb (which happened a few years ago).

Our last cruise on the Pride, a women in the cabin next to us had her bag delievered only to find that it was HER bag by the contents NOT and her bags were locked when she checked them at the pier.

Horrible. How is it that Carnival doesn't accept responsibility but mandates that you hand them over? EVERYTHING in my suitcase is valuable TO ME. I cannot afford to be missing my clothes, nor can I fit EVERYTHING into a carryon. Porters should be screend like TSA does. How can anyone get away with stealing one's luggage- aren't Porters, screeners and employees watched on cameras as well? Aren't there cameras in the hallways where security could see if someone messed with someone's luggage?

Thanks for your input. My post is not based on this thread alone. Now how much time do I need to spend on the Internet? If you are looking at my post count try again, I lurk way more than I post and was on here under a different name years befor this screen name.

I would also have to agree that it was not a flame......

I carry on anything of value and I have cruised 14 times. This is the first time I forgot to remove something and sure enough it was stolen. Just goes to prove my point.........trust noone. Sad that carnival has that kind of people working for them!

Don't assume it is someone from Carnival. The bags are handled by the workers (long shoreman) at the pier, before it is placed on the ship.

I would also have to agree that it was not a flame......

The beauty of life is that we can all have different opinions and the world will still turn. The sun will still come up in the morning. Your opinion has been duly noted.

Archived