I'm so confused..............

phoenix1181

I'm trying to arrange things so we can cruise early November out of Fort Lauderdale. We want to book a hotel for 1 day pre cruise and 7 or 8 days post cruise. (not necessarily @ the same place)

I know nothing about the area and am having a hard time trying to figure out which hotel(s) might be a good fit. Ideally, we'd like to keep the price under $200, be able to walk to other hotels, restaurants, shops, and rent a car just for a couple of days.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated................

Go to tripadvisor - read reviews and look at the maps for hotel locations. Between the feedback from this site and tripadvisor, you should be able to find what you are looking for. Good luck!:)

If you want to be by other hotels (and shopping/dining), you probably want to stay on SE 17th St. (port/downtown area) or on the main Ft Lauderdale beach area between the Atlantic hotel and the Sheraton. The best price for a hotel at the beach (across the street) tends to be Bahia Mar. Since you will be renting a car, you might want to check parking prices at the hotels before you make a decision, as some hotels charge as much as $30/day at the beach. The Doubletree Gallery One on E Sunrise Blvd is also nice but is a good walk to any other hotels. It is next to a nice indoor mall and restaurants and just 3-4 blocks from the beach. If you have an Hhonors Hilton number (which you can always get), note that some people are getting best rates on Hilton hotels at hiltonfamilymvp.com.

phoenix1181,

Another suggestion would be to use a search engine like "Kayak" to see what hotels are available and the prices for the dates you will be there. Definitely check out the parking prices as royalcruz suggested. Paying $25-30 dollars a day can be a shock if you are not expecting it.

We have stayed at the Rennaisance on 17th. Clean, comfortable, a bit dated. Downside was that the pool area is very noisy due to street traffic. Bimini Boatyard and Bravo's restaurants right next door. Quite a few restaurants just a bit further.

Also stayed at the Ritz for little more than $200 in Nov, 2008 when it switched over from St. Regis. Right across the street from Beach. Really nice, with a small mall (CVS, shops, chain restaurants and a public parking garage). Hotel's parking was high ($30) but valet staff was very efficient.

Sheal

We would stay over on the beach at a hotel that also has a water taxi stop or one within a easy walk. That way you have the use of the ocean front and with the water taxi you have access to many nice restaurants and places to shop.

The Bahia Mar is one such hotel.

http://www.watertaxi.com/ check the map on the link to see the hotels along the water routes

Thanks all! I was really spinning and now I have a better idea of where to look. I did see some crazy prices for parking which was completely unexpected.

I'm going to check out Bahia Mar & the water taxi. I've been looking at Trip Advisor but not knowing what's where, I was really going crazy.

With so many days post cruise, you too might want to split that and spend a few days in Miami Beach/South Beach or a drive down the Keys, unless you've been before. Not sure what you plan to do for that week postcruise. November weather can be iffy as far as daily beach use.

With so many days post cruise, you too might want to split that and spend a few days in Miami Beach/South Beach or a drive down the Keys, unless you've been before. Not sure what you plan to do for that week postcruise. November weather can be iffy as far as daily beach use.

I don't think South Beach is what we're looking for and I thought about the Keys but again, have no clue about location. Ideally we'd like a place with a nice beach &/or pool where we can lounge around and soak up some sun. On-site restaurant & bar/lounge is a must as is parking. (preferably free) Easy access to dining & shopping venues would complete the package.

Since you are staying after the cruise I would move one or two of those days to before the cruise. I would not expenct any weather problems that need more than the 1 day in advanced but wh not be safe.

Since you are staying after the cruise I would move one or two of those days to before the cruise. I would not expenct any weather problems that need more than the 1 day in advanced but wh not be safe.

We're planning 1 day pre-cruise which is all we can do since our dates are firm. It's post-cruise that I need to fill in.

Nothing wrong with your plan, but if we had another 7-8 days of vacation time, we'd be doing a b2b on your ship, or another ship for the 2nd leg. Plenty of ships sailing outta FLL, you would have a good selection to pick from.

R&D

I don't think South Beach is what we're looking for and I thought about the Keys but again, have no clue about location. Ideally we'd like a place with a nice beach &/or pool where we can lounge around and soak up some sun. On-site restaurant & bar/lounge is a must as is parking. (preferably free) Easy access to dining & shopping venues would complete the package.

Some nice resort hotels in the middle Keys are Cheeca Lodge and Hawk's Kay. Key West is really expensive, but the Best Western Hibiscus has good rates and is within a 3/4 mile walk to downtown.

Nothing wrong with your plan, but if we had another 7-8 days of vacation time, we'd be doing a b2b on your ship, or another ship for the 2nd leg. Plenty of ships sailing outta FLL, you would have a good selection to pick from.

R&D

That's a nice thought but it's not what we want to do. I won the cruise and I'm trying to put something together that will satisfactorily replace a 2 week Aruba trip that we'll be happy with. Finishing the vacation in Aruba is cost prohibitive so I need to work out something in Florida or pass & do what's already planned.

Some nice resort hotels in the middle Keys are Cheeca Lodge and Hawk's Kay. Key West is really expensive, but the Best Western Hibiscus has good rates and is within a 3/4 mile walk to downtown.

DH is 78 & not much of a walker. (Not complaining here, I'm happy he doesn't need a walker!) Any recommendations closer to downtown?

That's a nice thought but it's not what we want to do. I won the cruise and I'm trying to put something together that will satisfactorily replace a 2 week Aruba trip that we'll be happy with. Finishing the vacation in Aruba is cost prohibitive so I need to work out something in Florida or pass & do what's already planned.

DH is 78 & not much of a walker. (Not complaining here, I'm happy he doesn't need a walker!) Any recommendations closer to downtown?

If you want to stay within 6 blocks to everything in Key West, it will cost a lot. Other than a few overpriced guest houses, look at Ocean Key House, Pier House, Crowne Plaza La Concha and Hyatt. The other hotels that I mentioned in the middle Keys are very relaxing casual resorts with everything you need on the properties.

[quote name=phoenix1181;24292483

DH is 78 & not much of a walker. (Not complaining here' date=' I'm happy he doesn't need a walker!) Any recommendations closer to downtown?[/quote]

This add a whole new layer of info to our recs. This and the fact that you want restaurants and beach and little walking will put you at one of the resorts, not a hotel on 17 th St. How are you with using the water taxis?

If you want to stay within 6 blocks to everything in Key West, it will cost a lot. Other than a few overpriced guest houses, look at Ocean Key House, Pier House, Crowne Plaza La Concha and Hyatt. The other hotels that I mentioned in the middle Keys are very relaxing casual resorts with everything you need on the properties.

Thanks! You've given me a plenty to research in the Keys. Guest houses really don't interest us, but I'll definitely check out the hotels & resorts you've mentioned.

This add a whole new layer of info to our recs. This and the fact that you want restaurants and beach and little walking will put you at one of the resorts, not a hotel on 17 th St. How are you with using the water taxis?

Sorry about that............ We've never used (or seen) a water taxi so I really can't answer the question. I guess it depends on how difficult they are to get into & out of. If it's like boarding a 16' motor boat tied up at a dock, he'll never be able to manage it.

Here is the water taxi link. There are pictures to give you an idea of what it is like. There is even a picture of a couple leaving the boat on what looks to be a pretty sturdy (short) staircase. http://www.watertaxi.com/

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza, Hollywood Beach last summer for 4 nights. The only reason I am recommending this hotel for your particular situation, is for their pool area, it is very nice. Palm trees, cabanas, live music, tiki bar, one day(Saturday), they even had grilled items (for a charge) at the pool. http://www.cphollywoodbeach.com/ You would definatley need a car to go to dinner. Although they do have a restaurant on site. The beach is across the street. The Westin Diplomat is just down the street, but doesn't sound like it would be walkable for your DH. They quite often run specials (around $99 for off peak) on Travelzoo.com

Good luck on your search. There are many helpful people here to help you along. :)

Thanks for all the suggestions and information! The Water Taxi looks very doable & with that we'll only need for a car for a few days rather than the 8 or 9 days we're there.

The resorts in the Keys are beautiful but a bit pricier than I want to go. We're leaning toward the Doubletree or Crowne Plaza right now but I'm still looking so that could change half a dozen times before a decision is finally made. Since we're going in 1 day pre cruise, we'll stay at whatever hotel we choose and if we decide it was a poor fit, we'll cancel & book somewhere else. It's not high season so I don't expect a last minute booking will be too difficult to get.

.............just to clarify, the Crowne Plaza in Hollywood Beach is NOT on the water taxi route.

Good luck again!! :)

Thanks for the clarification!! I've looked at so many websites in the last couple of days I can't keep things straight..................... We definitely want to be on the Water Taxi route. I think it was Illugano that I was looking at but decided the location wouldn't be as convenient.

We definitely want a 2nd choice lined up so I'll be back at it tonight.

We are visiting Ft Lauderdale for the first time next February and we've booked four days pre-cruise and two days post-cruise at the Alhambra Beach Resort. This is a member of the Superior Small Lodging and scores very highly on Tripadvisor. You can choose your room, it's on the water taxi route, two minutes from the beach, a buffet breakfast is provided and there is free car parking. It's also very near to the Casablanca Cafe which also has decent reviews. Have a look at the Tripadvisor reviews and check out their website:

www.alhambrabeachresort.com

We e-mailed them and they responded very quickly. We have also spoken to them on the phone. Very friendly, polite and helpful. Hope this helps.

Ros

We are visiting Ft Lauderdale for the first time next February and we've booked four days pre-cruise and two days post-cruise at the Alhambra Beach Resort. This is a member of the Superior Small Lodging and scores very highly on Tripadvisor. You can choose your room, it's on the water taxi route, two minutes from the beach, a buffet breakfast is provided and there is free car parking. It's also very near to the Casablanca Cafe which also has decent reviews. Have a look at the Tripadvisor reviews and check out their website:

We e-mailed them and they responded very quickly. We have also spoken to them on the phone. Very friendly, polite and helpful. Hope this helps.

Ros

Thanks. I looked at the Alhambra & some of the other small, boutique, type places. Several of them look very nice. We generally prefer something larger but since I'm still in the research & planning stage I haven't ruled anything out................. I take that back, I have ruled a few hotels out for one reason or another but the idea of trying a small place does has a certain appeal so it could happen.

Ros

Not far south down A1A walking distance from the Alhambra you'll find a variety of restaurants to enjoy breakfast/lunch/dinner. Our favorite along that strip is Spazio's for a nice dinner. Also a CVS to purchase a variety of things at Beach Place along with a few more restaurants. We enjoyed LuLu's Bait Shop restaurant upstairs at Beach Place on our last visit there. Our first visit to Ft Lauderdale we enjoyed taking the water taxi in the morning for a tour around the intercoastal waterway and later that night hopped back on again to go have dinner at one of the restaurants we'd seen earlier in the day(sorry I can't remember which one it was as there are so many). Water taxi pass is good for the entire day for as many times as you get off and on. If you're there Fri-Sat-Sun you can catch the Sun Trolley for a very reasonable price to to explore Las Olas Blvd and hop back on to return. We stay at the Tropirock when we're in Ft Lauderdale but the Alhambra would be our second choice of the small lodging hotels in Ft Lauderdale. One does need to either have a car or enjoy longer walks to restaurants and entertainment(we enjoy walking when we're in Ft Lauderdale) to stay at the Tropirock.

It's really not far to a variety of restaurants from the Alhambra besides the Casablanca Cafe which is a close walk down the street from the Alhambra but since royalcruz has defined her husband as not much of a walker I'm thinking it might be a bit too far for him.

Not far south down A1A walking distance from the Alhambra you'll find a variety of restaurants to enjoy breakfast/lunch/dinner. Our favorite along that strip is Spazio's for a nice dinner. Also a CVS to purchase a variety of things at Beach Place along with a few more restaurants. We enjoyed LuLu's Bait Shop restaurant upstairs at Beach Place on our last visit there. Our first visit to Ft Lauderdale we enjoyed taking the water taxi in the morning for a tour around the intercoastal waterway and later that night hopped back on again to go have dinner at one of the restaurants we'd seen earlier in the day(sorry I can't remember which one it was as there are so many). Water taxi pass is good for the entire day for as many times as you get off and on. If you're there Fri-Sat-Sun you can catch the Sun Trolley for a very reasonable price to to explore Las Olas Blvd and hop back on to return. We stay at the Tropirock when we're in Ft Lauderdale but the Alhambra would be our second choice of the small lodging hotels in Ft Lauderdale. One does need to either have a car or enjoy longer walks to restaurants and entertainment(we enjoy walking when we're in Ft Lauderdale) to stay at the Tropirock.

It's really not far to a variety of restaurants from the Alhambra besides the Casablanca Cafe which is a close walk down the street from the Alhambra but since royalcruz has defined her husband as not much of a walker I'm thinking it might be a bit too far for him.

Thanks for all this info - we are busy researching and are looking forward to our stay in Ft L as well as the cruise. We are there on Fri/Sat/Sun so will definitely use the Sun Trolley. Thanks again!

Ros

I think you have me mixed up with Phoenix1181. Mr. Royalcruz can walk miles. :D

Archived