Philly area to Norfolk?

We will be driving from Philly to Norfolk this week(Thursday) and would like suggestions on a best route. I did mapquest and Rand McNally and both have me on US 13 most of the way. Will I have many traffic lights along this route? What is the speed limit? Would 95 be a decent alternative or are there drawbacks?

I live in Williamsburg - about 35 miles west of Norfolk and am from the Philly area and have made the trip from SE Virginia to Philly more times than I care to remember. I-95 is the shortest route: I-95 to I-64 East in Virginia. But you never know what kind of traffic you're going to get into i I-95.

Route 13 IMO is much longer and slower, and there's about a $10 toll (maybe more) on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge.

An alternate to I-95 thru northern VA would be to take I-95 to Route 896 S (in Delaware), then pick up Route 301 South to Route 17 South (in VA). From 17 South you can pick up I-64 East and take it into Norfolk.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone. We took RT 13 and it couldn't have been any easier. It took just about 5 hours and $14 but it was a nice and uneventful drive until we got to the parking area which is about 1 mile from the port. We had to wait at the lot in a line of cars for about 2 hours before parking. They were extremely disorganized. Then on to the shuttle that took us to the port and we had to wait in the circle another 45 minutes before they allowed us to get off the bus. Once on the ship it was smooth sailing. Janet I did not see your post until I returned.

Thanks for getting back to the boards and letting us know how it went. Good to know your drive down Rt. 13 was uneventful. You are right, they are disorganized in Norfolk and need a better system. No fun to sit and wait in line for parking.

Archived