Philly area to Norfolk?

We will be driving from Philly to Norfolk this week(Thursday) and would like suggestions on a best route. I did mapquest and Rand McNally and both have me on US 13 most of the way. Will I have many traffic lights along this route? What is the speed limit? Would 95 be a decent alternative or are there drawbacks?

What time of day?

I've never driven US 13; I had to look it up on Mapquest myself. It looks direct, and if you're not going to hit Baltimore/DC during rush hour (defined as anytime after noon on a Thursday), it's probably pretty good.

Thursday afternoon is as bad, and sometimes worse, than Friday for I-95 S from Baltimore through Richmond. If you're driving in the morning, 95 is probably OK.

I would check on the Maryland and Virginia DOT pages to make sure there isn't construction on or near the bridge. I think you'll also get hit with some hefty tolls; again, if traffic moves and you have an EZ Pass, no big deal. Avoiding NoVA/DC traffic is a good thing.

13 is a parking lot with lots of lights, but not bad once you get into Maryland by all the chicken processing places and pre-fab home companies.......95 can be a parking lot and is a little inland. at least 13 gets you over the Cheaspeake Bay Bridge Tunnel and right into the Hampton Roads/Norfolk area.

You have to cut over around Richmond....

13 is slower, 95 is full of traffic and construction.. 13 is more interesting....I have done them both.....

LOTS of cops in Maryland though. If it were me, I would do 13, just give yourself plenty of time....

We live in Maryland, near the Wilson Bridge. Traveling to the bridge in Maryland is fine, all the Maryland side construction is done. After you cross the Potomac on I-95 to Virginia the construction begins. US 13 (no tolls) sounds better, everything considered. Observe the speed limit, you will drive thru many local police enforced areas.

R&D

We travel that way often from Central New York. We take the NE PA Turnpike, then 476 which goes near Philly. Once you get into Delaware you get Rt 13, but it runs almost parallel to Rt 1 where Rt 1 is finished. Rt1 is a beauitiful, speedy toll road - if you have EZ pass you don't even have to slow down to go through a booth.

Are you doing it in one day? The only problems we ever had were around Philly itself (there's a short stetch of 95 to get RT13 from 476). You've got (I think) about a 6 hr ride?

Any kids? Lots of McD's & similar on RT 13, and, as noted previously, nice scenery. We always looki forward to the Seagull signs that point the way to the Chesapeake Bay Tunnel.

We plan on leaving from just south of Philly at around 5 or 6 AM on Thursday. I am leaning toward Rt 13 rather than 95. Feel free to chime in with your thoughts. Thank you for your recommendations.

We did this from South Jersey a couple of years ago, we took Rte 13, it's not a bad drive but it did take about 6 hours, we made a few stops for food and potty breaks along the way. And as someone else mentioned it does take you right into the Norfolk area.

The Cape May - Lewes ferry cuts some of that driving time off (although I don't think it saved any time for the overall trip, can't remember) but if you're coming from the Philly area that is probably too far out of your way to be reasonable. If it's not, make sure you get a reservation both ways. We couldn't take it coming home because it was booked solid and we hadn't reserved ahead of time.

We plan on leaving from just south of Philly at around 5 or 6 AM on Thursday. I am leaning toward Rt 13 rather than 95. Feel free to chime in with your thoughts. Thank you for your recommendations.

Based on your timeline (6:00AM), if you took 95, I believe you would arrive in the DC area between 8:30-9:00AM not a good time to be on the loop.

Route 13, will be a local route 80% of the way, so if something happens on the road ahead of you your options are limited.

Personally if I were doing this ride day of cruise I would leave earlier and 95 would be my first choice, but that is me.

Rt 13 is stop and go but it is more interesting. As someone else pointed out you pick up Del 1 and it bypasses all of the light while you are in Del.

We were in DC a couple of weekends ago and the traffic is unbelieveable.

I think I would opt for Rt 13.

I live in Va Beach, and my hometown is in Lancaster, PA. I always take RT 13, because I enjoy the drive much better. You can hit plenty of lights, but much of it can also be smooth sailing. :)

The Dover bypass is a huge help on time. When I travel to Lancaster, it takes about 5 hours and maybe 20 minutes. Not a bad trip, plus you can pull off whenever you need to without the worry of ramps etc.

I would definitely go this way.

I live in Va Beach, and my hometown is in Lancaster, PA. I always take RT 13, because I enjoy the drive much better. You can hit plenty of lights, but much of it can also be smooth sailing. :)

The Dover bypass is a huge help on time. When I travel to Lancaster, it takes about 5 hours and maybe 20 minutes. Not a bad trip, plus you can pull off whenever you need to without the worry of ramps etc.

I would definitely go this way.

Thanks Btsen5. That is good to know. Where do you pickup the Dover Bypass? Is this an exit off of 13?

I think BTSEN5 has the best knowledge of this route it seems. I can tell you if you leave Phil at that time coming down 95 you will hit Baltimore Rush and the DC rush, both will be hell. I live in the DC area and we are avoiding it on our trip down too, (we are on the same cruise). I know this was going the other direction (95 north) couple weeks ago and left at 230p and wasn't getting on the NJ TPK until 7-8pm if I remember correctly. So you are going to be getting the exact same thing coming down 95 S in the morning so I would suggest rt 13 also. Once you get past DC if you were to take 95S, bassically where 95 splits off 495, it would be smooth sailing. But that part from Baltimore to DC would suck.

We live near Salisbury and with the bypass around Dover (DE RT 1) and the bypass around Salisbury that you pick up by the Centre of Salisbury, the route is very easy to follow. Just make sure you travel close to the speed limits ( within 5-7 mph) in the towns such as ********* and Harrington DE, the area before you get to Princess Anne MD and various little towns in VA that are marked with lower speed limits. The local police are rather vigilant. It is a very easy trip, with plenty of snack places. Just remmber that the toll on the Bay Bridge tunnel is $12. At this time, I don't believe the restaurant is open yet on the bridge.

Safe travels.

This may further dissuade you from the I-95 route:

http://blogs.fredericksburg.com/ontheroad/2010/05/03/time-change-in-i-95s-hov-lanes/

I often describe I-95 as a perfect waste of a lot of good concrete. Traffic can back up to a complete stop at any time, at any place, and for no apparent reason.

I'm lucky I don't have to drive on it to work, or I would probably go insane. :eek:

Theron

Thanks Btsen5. That is good to know. Where do you pickup the Dover Bypass? Is this an exit off of 13?

I am not sure of the exit number, but when I am coming back from PA, I get it at RT 896, and yes, it is right off 13. Then it is goes all the way down past Dover....actually you will go right by the Air Force Base. It is very easy and clearly marked as well.

We live near Salisbury and with the bypass around Dover (DE RT 1) and the bypass around Salisbury that you pick up by the Centre of Salisbury, the route is very easy to follow. Just make sure you travel close to the speed limits ( within 5-7 mph) in the towns such as ********* and Harrington DE, the area before you get to Princess Anne MD and various little towns in VA that are marked with lower speed limits. The local police are rather vigilant. It is a very easy trip, with plenty of snack places. Just remmber that the toll on the Bay Bridge tunnel is $12. At this time, I don't believe the restaurant is open yet on the bridge.

Safe travels.

Great thoughts here. You do also have a toll on RT 1. I think it is 1.00 during the week and 2.00 on weekends.

I live in Smyrna DE and travel up and down from the Phila area all the time.

You will want to take 95 south to exit 4B in Delaware which will take you past Christiana Mall. Just follow the signs for "Dover and the Beaches" It will take you onto De Rt1 a good fast road. There is a toll at the Canal Bridge and again going around Dover. Then it's R13. It's a nice ride all the way down and over the Bay Bridge Tunnel. Far better than 95 IMHO.

I live in Smyrna DE and travel up and down from the Phila area all the time.

You will want to take 95 south to exit 4B in Delaware which will take you past Christiana Mall. Just follow the signs for "Dover and the Beaches" It will take you onto De Rt1 a good fast road. There is a toll at the Canal Bridge and again going around Dover. Then it's R13. It's a nice ride all the way down and over the Bay Bridge Tunnel. Far better than 95 IMHO.

I was going to take 95 to 495 and exit 11(Port of Wilmington/Baltimore) and pickup 13 which becomes 1. At this point I was going to follow signs for the beaches. What do you think?

We will be driving from Philly to Norfolk this week(Thursday) and would like suggestions on a best route. I did mapquest and Rand McNally and both have me on US 13 most of the way. Will I have many traffic lights along this route? What is the speed limit? Would 95 be a decent alternative or are there drawbacks?

I prefer 13 to 95. I believe it is quicker and you get to drive the bay bridge-tunnel. There are traffic lights at times as you make your way through some more developing towns, but for the most part it is an easy drive.

I was going to take 95 to 495 and exit 11(Port of Wilmington/Baltimore) and pickup 13 which becomes 1. At this point I was going to follow signs for the beaches. What do you think?

You can certainly do that but it will take you down 13 in a congested area with traffic lights. If you take 495 til it merges back onto 95 you will only be on 95 for about 6 miles then take the 4b exit. You are on good highway and have no lights until after Dover.

13's the best way to go, but you will never believe how long you are in DE & the lights & speed limits change constantly. It is better than 95 tho - just a heads up - the bridge is really long, if you are bridge phobic. But you wind up so close to the pier it is the best way to go.

I live in Del. and have traveled this route many times. From Phila., take I-95 to Rt. 1/Rt. 7/Churchman's Rd. exit, going south. Stay on Rt. 1 until you reach exit 97, which is the Rt. 13/Salisbury/Norfolk exit. Rt. 1 is a toll rd. but gets you half way through Del. very quickly. Once on Rt. 13, follow it all the way to Norfolk. There is a by-pass around Salisbury, Md. which is free and avoids a lot of downtown traffic. Once you get across the Bridge-Tunnel, you are very close to the cruise port.

Rt. 13 is not that bad, there are a few towns which are very "vigilant" about speeders, mainly Green wood, Harrington and Felton. If you follow the speed limits you will be fine.

Archived