Road to Hana and Haleakala sunset in the same day?

milkman1972

Hi we are first timers to Hawaii and the Pride of America and were planning to rent a car in Mauai and do the road to Hana. Would it be feasible to go up to the top of Haleakala the same evening and see the sunset or is that biting off too much ? We aren't thrilled about getting up at 2:30 AM to see the sunrise. The other option is to wait and do it the second day later in the morning. Thanks for any info!

Hi we are first timers to Hawaii and the Pride of America and were planning to rent a car in Mauai and do the road to Hana. Would it be feasible to go up to the top of Haleakala the same evening and see the sunset or is that biting off too much ? We aren't thrilled about getting up at 2:30 AM to see the sunrise. The other option is to wait and do it the second day later in the morning. Thanks for any info!

I see no reason why not; just don't do much wine tasting before starting the climb up Haleakala:D. If just one person does all the driving, that person may want to jump into the crater. It will be a very tiring day.

I have driven the complete drive around Haleakala (the "Hana drive") and driven up the volcano, but not the same day. The Hana drive is very tiring, the drive up the mountain was no problem, but we had a clear weather.

We didn't do the RTH, but did the Haleakala sunset with Robert's tours. We left the POA at 4:30 p.m. Sunset was about 6:30 p.m. We got to the observation area about 30 minutes before sunset. If you go, be sure to dress warmly and maybe bring a waterproof jacket. It was in the low 40's with light rain at 9,740 feet. If it is cloudy, be sure to look for the akaku anuenue. It was an awesome experience. The air there is so clean and pure!! We were back to the ship about 8:15 p.m. I hope you can fit this in your day!!

It will be a really LOOOONNGGG day of driving and that is if the weather is good. Add rain into the equation or road construction and it gets brutal. But if none of that phases you, it can be done.

Personally, by the time I get back from Hana, I'm ready to find somewhere to plop myself down (usually in Paia, which you will drive through going/coming back from Hana unless you drive all the way around the southern part of the island and come back through Upcountry which is a really really long drive), have some pupus and drink a lava flow! :p

OK here's a follow up question. We will be there mid July. What time would sunset be that time of year?

This should help:

http://www.hawaii-guide.com/index.php/maui/spot/haleakala_sunrise_and_sunset_times/

Just so you know, although it can still be beautiful with all the colors in the sky it can be cloudy or hazy out on the horizon and since you are so far above the water, often you will not see the sun actually set into the ocean, but rather into the cloud bank .... and then will miss a chance to see the famous "green flash".

PS - where's Waukon, IA? I was born in DM, my husband near Marshalltown.

It's doable, and you'll reduce your driving time somewhat if you go the southern route past Hana, O'heo Gulch, and Kipahulu to Kaupo and up through upcountry. You'll be very close to the road up to Haleakala. If I was going to do that in 1 day that's the only way I'd consider it.

That being said, It's gonna be a long, long drive, ending with the twisty drive down from Haleakala in the dark. When you're tired. Personally, I love that road but such a thought doesn't want to make me do cartwheels. and Maui sunsets from a beach are pretty darn nice too.

You have gotten some great answers so far. yes, it will be a VERY long day and you might doze off during the sunset, but it is doable. I guess it would really depend on how you did the RTH. If you get out and hike every so often, stop at every major stop off, and really take your time, you might have a harder time accomplishing it. if you do the RTH a bit more quickly, maybe even not go all the way to Hana, or limit your stops to a few major ones, you will have better luck, and probably not be so exhausted.

have fun though

Cheers

Len

This should help:

http://www.hawaii-guide.com/index.php/maui/spot/haleakala_sunrise_and_sunset_times/

Just so you know, although it can still be beautiful with all the colors in the sky it can be cloudy or hazy out on the horizon and since you are so far above the water, often you will not see the sun actually set into the ocean, but rather into the cloud bank .... and then will miss a chance to see the famous "green flash".

PS - where's Waukon, IA? I was born in DM, my husband near Marshalltown.

Thanks for the link! Waukon is in the northeast corner, near Decorah. We are about 20 miles from both the Minnesota and Wisconsin borders.

I agree with zelker...the Road to Hana has a lot of beautiful stops that you will want to pull over and see. If you plan on doing the backside to Hana too this will take you all day including stops. Take it easy and enjoy yourself. You may get behind a slow driver which will make the trip even longer.

As for Haleakala...I did one of the biking down the hill sunrise tours and it is something I recommend everyone do once in their life. Pretty amazing, but I didn't get to see the area on top in the daylight. Try to get up there, but do watch the winding road coming back at night.

We just got home from a 12-night cruise on the Carnival Spirit, and we did the sunrise (not sunset) and Road to Hana with plenty of time leftover.

Granted, we left the ship at 3 a.m., and got to Haleakala Summit by 5:00... and we were heading down the mountain toward Hana by 7:00.

I think the key for the Road to Hana is to do your research ahead of time. The Maui Revealed book is an excellent resource so you can see what there is at each milemarker along the way. You can use that to judge what kinds of things you want to stop to see.

When we started the drive, it was raining for most of the trip to Hana (as it does many mornings -- this is a rain forest), so we didn't stop much at all going that direction. The rain stopped in Hana, and we picked up a couple souvenirs at the gift shop, continued toward a beautiful beach south of town, and then headed back.

We made most all of our stops on the way back, and loved the scenery. We were back in town early enough that we still had time to go to one of the resort beaches for an hour or so before returning the rental car.

I posted a bunch of photos from our trip here if you're interested:

http://www.freedmultimedia.com/hawaii

I'd also be happy to answer any other questions you might have -- I did a copious amount of research before doing this trip! :)

We just got home from a 12-night cruise on the Carnival Spirit, and we did the sunrise (not sunset) and Road to Hana with plenty of time leftover.

Granted, we left the ship at 3 a.m., and got to Haleakala Summit by 5:00... and we were heading down the mountain toward Hana by 7:00.

I think the key for the Road to Hana is to do your research ahead of time. The Maui Revealed book is an excellent resource so you can see what there is at each milemarker along the way. You can use that to judge what kinds of things you want to stop to see.

When we started the drive, it was raining for most of the trip to Hana (as it does many mornings -- this is a rain forest), so we didn't stop much at all going that direction. The rain stopped in Hana, and we picked up a couple souvenirs at the gift shop, continued toward a beautiful beach south of town, and then headed back.

We made most all of our stops on the way back, and loved the scenery. We were back in town early enough that we still had time to go to one of the resort beaches for an hour or so before returning the rental car.

I posted a bunch of photos from our trip here if you're interested:

http://www.freedmultimedia.com/hawaii

I'd also be happy to answer any other questions you might have -- I did a copious amount of research before doing this trip! :)

Your pictures are beautiful! Can I ask what kind of camera you were using?

Since I was doing a lot of research ahead of time, we rented cars at every port so we could go out and see the things we wanted to see on our own. It was a whole heck of a lot less expensive than getting tours to take us places! I am also a GPS nerd, so I had pre-marked things before the trip so I could easily navigate to them.

Here's a laundry list of the places we visited at each island:

OAHU:

Hiked up Diamondhead

Pali Lookout

Halona Blowhole

Byodo-In Temple

Kualoa Park - Chinaman's Hat

Passed by the Bonzai Pipeline

Visited the beach where the plane crashed on "Lost"

Stopped at the Dole Pineapple Plantation gift store

Pearl Harbor

KAUAI:

Immediately headed to Waimea Canyon, met up with friends who were staying there

Visited various viewpoints at the Canyon, lunch at the Koke'e Lodge

Snack at Jo Jo's Shave Ice

Spouting Horn

Tree Tunnel

Visited Wailua Falls (seen in the opening of Fantasy Island!)

BIG ISLAND / KONA:

Visited the World's Most Scenic Urinal!!

Stopped for Surfin' Ass Donkey Balls (macadamia nuts with chocolate... yummy!)

Painted Church

Place of Refuge

South Kona Fruit Stand

(I had hoped to visit South Point on this day, but it was just too far to go to make it back to the ship in time, and see other sights)

BIG ISLAND / HILO:

Volcanoes National Park

Punaluu Black Sand Beach Park

Rainbow Falls

Pe'epe'e Falls

MAUI / DAY 1:

Visited Haleakala National Park, drove to summit

Iao Needle

Drove to resort area, saw where tomorrow night's episode of "Modern Family" was filmed

Headed to Lahaina, checked out shops

Old Lahaina Luau (HIGHLY recommended!)

MAUI / DAY 2:

Got up at 3:00 a.m... went back up Haleakala summit for sunrise

7:00 a.m. - headed out to Road to Hana

I think we were in Hana by around 9:30. It rained the whole way, so we didn't stop much

We hit various highlights of the Road to Hana on the way back -- beautiful!

Be sure to stop at Waianapanapa State Park... fantastic!

Back to town by 2:00, which gave us enough time to go back to a resort and swim in the ocean

I highly recommend the "Revealed" series of books... they were tremendously helpful.

Alan--I would love to know what itinerary you followed! I've started my research and am having trouble figuring out what we have time for on each island.

We are most looking forward to the Road to Hana.

Thanks!

If you are not staying at the Kona Hotel, how do you go about seeing this attraction?

Just wander into the hotel (it's a rather run-down place, aside from the cool urinal). Typically you'll find an old Asian lady at the front desk... just ask her about the urinal, and she'll point the way. It's a straight shot from the front of the building to the walkway on the other side of the hotel, all on the same level.

I have a series of shots of this attraction on my web site... this is one of the shots -- you can use the arrows to navigate to a few other shots from this spot:

http://www.freedmultimedia.com/hawaii/slides/DSC_2705.html

DSC_2705.jpg

DSC_2696.jpg

Archived