Dinner attire?

I went on a Princess cruise in 2007 and I remember there was a dress code to enter the dining room; like no tee shirts, shorts, flip flops, and so on. I am going on my first Carnival cruise in September. What is their dinner attire? Is there a dress code?

There is, but it's a bit more "relaxed" than on Princess. Decent wear is expected...rubber flip-flops are best worn at the pool, not the dining room.

Most men will wear docker type pants and a collared (golf/polo) shirt. Women will be wearing capris, skirts, sundresses, etc...

For breakfast and lunch, shorts and flip-flops are fine.

There is, but it's a bit more "relaxed" than on Princess. Decent wear is expected...rubber flip-flops are best worn at the pool, not the dining room.

Most men will wear docker type pants and a collared (golf/polo) shirt. Women will be wearing capris, skirts, sundresses, etc...

For breakfast and lunch, shorts and flip-flops are fine.

thanks. do you know about Celebrity Mercury? What is their dinner attire? is there a dress code?

thanks. do you know about Celebrity Mercury? What is their dinner attire? is there a dress code?

Celebrity is more formal than Carnival or Princess. Most people Celebrity abide by the dress code and it often is enforced. It applies not just for dinner, but for the evening show as well. The details of what is expected (dress wise) are clearly spelled out on Celebrity's website. Just type "dress code" into the search of Celebrity's main page.

Celebrity is a bit more formal than Carnival. I just went on the Solstice and my husband wore a suit on formal nights and I just wore Chico travelers pants and a nice top. On all other nights, he just wore slacks and a nice golf shirt or a button down shirt. Hope this helps.

Celebrity is more formal than Carnival or Princess. Most people Celebrity abide by the dress code and it often is enforced. It applies not just for dinner, but for the evening show as well. The details of what is expected (dress wise) are clearly spelled out on Celebrity's website. Just type "dress code" into the search of Celebrity's main page.

Celebrity is a bit more formal than Carnival. I just went on the Solstice and my husband wore a suit on formal nights and I just wore Chico travelers pants and a nice top. On all other nights, he just wore slacks and a nice golf shirt or a button down shirt. Hope this helps.

thanks guys. yes, you're right, i checked their website, here's what i got:

Smart Casual and Above

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) complemented by sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

Formal

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown or dressy pantsuit

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks

thanks guys. yes, you're right, i checked their website, here's what i got:

Smart Casual and Above

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) complemented by sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

Formal

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown or dressy pantsuit

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks

I am going on my first cruise on NCL Spirit.. I'm so glad they dont have strict dress codes like the other cruise lines because if there is anything I hate the most is someone telling me what to wear on MY VACATION!! argghh just reading the dress code gets me so irritated. Are people Ok with this? maybe its an age thing (Im 26)!

But I hope you enjoy your cruise :)

I am going on my first cruise on NCL Spirit.. I'm so glad they dont have strict dress codes like the other cruise lines because if there is anything I hate the most is someone telling me what to wear on MY VACATION!! argghh just reading the dress code gets me so irritated. Are people Ok with this? maybe its an age thing (Im 26)!

Are you telling me that if the company you work for states that you must wear a suit and tie that you are going to show up in jeans and a t-shirt? I don't think so. And the dress code is NOT an age thing at all. I think it has more to do with the way you were brought up. When you sign up for a cruise you know what the dress code is. If you don't like it either don't cruise or stay away from the main dining room. It's as simple as that.

Are you telling me that if the company you work for states that you must wear a suit and tie that you are going to show up in jeans and a t-shirt? I don't think so. And the dress code is NOT an age thing at all. I think it has more to do with the way you were brought up. When you sign up for a cruise you know what the dress code is. If you don't like it either don't cruise or stay away from the main dining room. It's as simple as that.

Of course I would adhere to the company's dress code...they ARE paying me.

I am paying the cruise line so I can have a good time.

I think it has nothing to do with how you were brought up. When I think vacation, I think freedom; a gateway from the daily things. I don't need someone telling me what to do (yeah even the wife), what to wear, when/what to eat...etc

btw I don't dress like a bum (my post my make it sound like I am)

I wear respectable, comfortable and clean clothes. But someone telling me you HAVE to wear dress pants and a collared shirt to have dinner two floors up from where I am staying... I think thats ridiculous.

That's why its so great that there are different cruise lines to meet the needs of different cruisers.

Many (myself included) book Celebrity partially because of the dress code. I love seeing everyone looking great. It enhances the ambiance, particularly on formal night. But to each his/her own.

. But someone telling me you HAVE to wear dress pants and a collared shirt to have dinner two floors up from where I am staying... I think thats ridiculous.

Which is your opinion. ;) We wouldn't cruise on NCL for the opposite reason. It's all what people feel comfortable with. If you think Celebrity or another line with dress codes is "ridiculous", then choose the more casual ones. Obviously there are thousands that enjoy the X and other more traditional and formal lines. Does that mean we are all "ridiculous" and you aren't for your preferences?:confused:

Enjoy the cruise on the ship of your choice. Please don't call my choice ridiculous. :rolleyes:

That's why its so great that there are different cruise lines to meet the needs of different cruisers.

Many (myself included) book Celebrity partially because of the dress code. I love seeing everyone looking great. It enhances the ambiance, particularly on formal night. But to each his/her own.

We book Celebrity, Cunard, HAL and Seabourn strictly because of the dress code. IF a ship doesn't have formal nights where a large majority are dressing on formal night at the minimum in a sport coat, tie and long sleeved shirt, we are not going. It is that simple.

It truly is a special experience, one we don't get very often in our daily lives. I travel internationally 7-9 months a year away from DH spending a lot of time in places all would NOT consider vacation destinations-Afghanistan/Iraq/Kuwait. He is an engineer at the USA's largest nuclear plant. Crawling around under and over dirty machinery every day. If I want to go PAAARTY someplace in shorts/t-shirt/casual clothes, I sure am not taking a cruise. We race jet boats on the weekends I may be home. That is as casual as you get-t-shirts/shorts/swimsuits. I look for a more upscale experience on a cruise.

We book Celebrity, Cunard, HAL and Seabourn strictly because of the dress code. IF a ship doesn't have formal nights where a large majority are dressing on formal night at the minimum in a sport coat, tie and long sleeved shirt, we are not going. It is that simple.

It truly is a special experience, one we don't get very often in our daily lives. I travel internationally 7-9 months a year away from DH spending a lot of time in places all would NOT consider vacation destinations-Afghanistan/Iraq/Kuwait. He is an engineer at the USA's largest nuclear plant. Crawling around under and over dirty machinery every day. If I want to go PAAARTY someplace in shorts/t-shirt/casual clothes, I sure am not taking a cruise. We race jet boats on the weekends I may be home. That is as casual as you get-t-shirts/shorts/swimsuits. I look for a more upscale experience on a cruise.

Hello (to Greatam)

Could you please stop writing very thoughtful, perceptive, interesting and meaningful, and always very helpful posts.

It makes the rest of us who want to be helpful here, look like total non entities. Now, I am not trying to censure you, just thought I would make you laugh (and counselor, the corect spelling of PARTY is PARTY, not PAARTY).

Hope our friend has a great time on his first cruise. His wife will probably want to get dressed up a bit on formal nights and he won't and there will be an argument (hope it doesn't ruin the cruise).

I believe NCL was the first cruise line that started this "freestyle" cruising which basically means eating when you want and dressing up only if you want to. However, many people should realize that wearing decent attire in the dining room should be adhered to - just like you would any restaurant you would eat at at home. Just shows respect - if you want to have dinner wearing shorts, you should either order cabin service or eat at the buffet.

Just shows respect - if you want to have dinner wearing shorts, you should either order cabin service or eat at the buffet.

Even if the dress code states short are ok?

Believe me, I am as bad a dress code snot as you'll find. That's why I choose to sail now with Celebrity as I like formal nights and don't like seeing t-shirts and shorts in the dining room in the evenings. But if NCL (or any line for that matter) decides shorts are acceptable, then that should be then end of that.

I so agree with this - dressing up really makes the cruise for us. We've sailed on P&O (Ventura) and Cunard (QM2), and are now thinking about a Caribbean or Panama Canal cruise in November this year. What are Princess and Royal Caribbean like for formal dressing?

We are going to Alaska Radiance of the Seas and are looking forward to formal night. My husband is thinking of renting a tux. RCC specifies a dark suit (I think) and I'm not sure his qualifies. We are ones who want to dress up and meet the dress code. Can anyone advise?

We are going to Alaska Radiance of the Seas and are looking forward to formal night. My husband is thinking of renting a tux. RCC specifies a dark suit (I think) and I'm not sure his qualifies. We are ones who want to dress up and meet the dress code. Can anyone advise?

I would describe RCCL formal nights as more cocktail attire than evening gowns. I wore a black maxi dress with simple jet beading at the waist, my husband wore a dark suit. Many women had on short cocktail dresses or pantsuits with fancy beaded or sparkly tops and some in maxi dresses similar to my own. It was fun and we happened to be dining 150 Central Park on formal night which added to the experience (Oasis of the Seas.)

We've sailed on many lines. You are more likely to see lots of tuxes on Princess, Celebrity and also some of the more upscale lines, IMO, but your husband would not be out of place in a tux on RCCL, if he chooses. They do a lot of pictures on formal night and if you plan to buy one, that would be another reason to rent a tux.

• 3 weeks later...

I booked my upcoming cruise without being aware of the whole dress code thing. I may have been more inclined to book a trip on NCL had I known. Instead, I am on Carnival Victory to the Southern Caribbean. I am a professional meeting planner. I am in dresses, suits, cocktail dresses, etc. all year long. An ideal vacation dress code for me is a sun dress and flip-flops. :cool: With a versatile wardrobe, I can easily pack the required attire though.

I'd like to know if a cotton dress (with our without sleeves) is appropriate for the main dining room. Not exactly, but something along the lines of a polo shirtdress? And, I saw a post mentioning something regarding rubber flip-flops. I own "dressy" flip-flops which are leather with/without jeweled pieces on them. Are these sorts of shoes appropriate in the main dining room on a Carnival cruise or does it need to be a full sandal or heel?

I have sailed on Princess and RCI ships. All a male needs to wear on formal nights in the MDR is a pair of pants (dockers will do), dress shirt and shoes. Tux, suits, sport coats and ties are not required. Other nights jeans and a shirt with a collar will suffice. I agree with you that when on vacation I really don't care to pretend I am in some swanky restaurant.

Carnival and NCL do not have a formal night.

So relax, no matter what Princess and RCI print reality is that some do not dress up like so many on these boards would have you believe. Let the high and mighty spend the extra $$$ so they can go on a cruise with their stuck up friends.

I booked my upcoming cruise without being aware of the whole dress code thing. I may have been more inclined to book a trip on NCL had I known. Instead, I am on Carnival Victory to the Southern Caribbean. I am a professional meeting planner. I am in dresses, suits, cocktail dresses, etc. all year long. An ideal vacation dress code for me is a sun dress and flip-flops. :cool: With a versatile wardrobe, I can easily pack the required attire though.

I'd like to know if a cotton dress (with our without sleeves) is appropriate for the main dining room. Not exactly, but something along the lines of a polo shirtdress? And, I saw a post mentioning something regarding rubber flip-flops. I own "dressy" flip-flops which are leather with/without jeweled pieces on them. Are these sorts of shoes appropriate in the main dining room on a Carnival cruise or does it need to be a full sandal or heel?

Hi Ciana,

I just came back from an NCL cruise to Bermuda. I had the best time of my life. I will write a full review later this week but I just wanted to address the attire issue.

WE loved the fact that you can wear whatever when you're ready to go eat. We came back from the beach, went right to the main dining room with my bathingsuit (which was dry of course) and a tshirt...very casual and clean attire is the theme on NCL. Of course you can dress up for the Specialty restaurants, shows or what have you but it's not required.

I cant bear the thought of having to iron my shirts, pants... etc to go grab a bite. In your case, a sun dress and flip-flops would be just fine on NCL. People tend to dress a little bit more casual when going to one of the specialty restaurants but I am not talking Tux and cocktail dresses...

After having my first cruise on NCL, I am open to the idea to try other cruiselines but if they are so anal about attire... I'll pass. We dressed up one night on this cruise to take pro pictures. But if we have to do repeat that two or three time a day just to go eat!!!!!!! no thank you! not doing it.

hope you have fun on your cruise!

... Let the high and mighty spend the extra $$$ so they can go on a cruise with their stuck up friends.

AMINE to that brother/sister :) oh do I despise being around people like that!!! and some of them have already posted in this same thread.

I have sailed on Princess and RCI ships. All a male needs to wear on formal nights in the MDR is a pair of pants (dockers will do), dress shirt and shoes. Tux, suits, sport coats and ties are not required. Other nights jeans and a shirt with a collar will suffice. I agree with you that when on vacation I really don't care to pretend I am in some swanky restaurant.

Carnival and NCL do not have a formal night.

So relax, no matter what Princess and RCI print reality is that some do not dress up like so many on these boards would have you believe. Let the high and mighty spend the extra $$$ so they can go on a cruise with their stuck up friends.

AMINE to that brother/sister :) oh do I despise being around people like that!!! and some of them have already posted in this same thread.

I don't know why the clothing threads need to bring out insulting posts like this. It is just so unneccessary. The two posts are far more high, mighty and full of reverse snobbery than any post on this thread.

If you knew me in real life you'd see I'm as far from high and mighty as they come. I hang out with bikers and cops.

I chose Celebrity because of it's reputation and itinerary. So then I see that it has two formals nights. Ok...I can deal with that. It's part of the cruise experience. It's even turned out to be quite fun.

And then I find out...no one...absolutely not one person on the ship puts a gun to your head and tells you that you HAVE to eat in the main dining room on formal night. They even give a number of alternatives. Wow what a thought.:eek:

I'm not being forced into doing anything I don't want to do on MY vacation.

If something as simple as a dress code gets you this upset, you are either in need of a vacation more than I am or just so self absorbed that you actually think people are telling you what to do.

Archived