Proud parent moment on rccl Mariner

MnAsMom

On our last night on the Mariner we were in the dining room waiting to get a picture with our waiter and hand over our gratuity envelope. A couple who were seated one or 2 tables away from us came over to tell my husband and I that they were so impressed with our boys for having such good manners/behavior in the dining room and that we must be doing something right. It made me feel very proud (I think my 8 year old felt good too). We work hard to teach our boys good manners and how to behave while out.... it showed!

We actually ate in the dining room every night of the cruise except one (got back from port late and we didn't want to rush like crazy to get to our early seating so we went up to the windjammer). Our boys also ate in the dining room with us every night except for the 2nd formal night when they went to Johnny Rockets with AO. After our experience on the Nickelodeon cruise we were impressed with the service and food in the dining room this time around. It reminded us of our experience on our honeymoon cruise 11 years ago on Monarch. There is something about having the same waiters every night that makes such a difference. My MIL wanted to smuggle our waiter home with her (it was her 1st cruise and she loved it). He was so great with our kids... had their milk and chocolate milk on the table every night right away. fruit cups were in front of them almost immediately when we sat down. He brought so much extra food to the table for us to try. It was just a wonderful experience this time around as far as the dining room was concerned. So bummed they are taking the Mariner away from the west coast. :(

Anyways just wanted to share our positive experience with some childless travelers .... not all hate kids for "ruining" their cruise because they are doing what kids do sometimes. Honestly I didn't see or hear any older folks complaining or giving kids/parents dirty looks cause of their children. Mostly all the kids we saw around the ship were well behaved. Even the teens doing a scavenger hunt who piled into the elevator with us to take a picture were very polite and thanked us for understanding what they were doing. We were just glad to see them all having a good time!

I think we'll be looking into a caribbean cruise if we cruise again soon.... the last day of our cruise the water in the pacific was rough. My MIL was glad I brought Bonine along!

That's a really nice commentary on your parenting and you have every right to be proud. Actually, I have on occasion commented to a family on how well behaved their children were and I'm glad it was well received.

Excellent! Even when WE know our kids are the greatest, it's even better when it is recognized by strangers :D

While the stories on these boards tend to emphasize the bad encounters folks have had when travelling with kids, there are more good "childless" travellers out there than there are bad ones.

Thanks for sharing!

Archived