Should I pack a bathing suit?

hillside

I know that may sound silly.We're sailing on the Rotterdam to Alaska in June. I know they have a retractable roof over the pool area. Do people use the pool? Is it warm enough to sit there and sun assuming there is sun? I am debating packing a swim suit or shorts so that I could sit there if it was warm enough. Will we be too busy watching scenery or can you see it from the enclosed area. I will be traveling with a frail friend as well as 2 others. I thought this might be a place to sit and view through windows and not be cold for her. Thanks for any insight. I'm tryint to cover all my options.

Having taken several cruises to Alaska -- we have seen people using the Lido Pool and the Hot Tubs.

On our first Alaska cruise -- many years ago -- we did take bathing suite -- and we did use them. As we were leaving Glacier Bay the temperature was in the 70's (July) and we sat out on the back deck.

We no longer take bathing suits knowing that we can only use them once or twice a cruise. But we do take shorts/bermudas. And we have been able to wear them ashore.

One evening on our Alaska cruise (maybe 6 or 7pm) my partner and I were in the hot tub. Not only were we the only ones in the hot tub, we were the only ones in the entire pool area. It was one of those rare moments when it felt like we had the ship to ourselves. Anyway, the Captain just happened to walk by on the upper deck above the pool, saw us in the hot tub, and waved. So...yes, take your swimsuit, for moments like that.

We used the Sea View pool on the Amsterdam when leaving both Sitka and Ketchikan as it was in the 70's. The rest of the time it was too cold for that - except for a few brave souls. The Lido pool was used by a lot of people.

We used the Sea View pool on the Amsterdam when leaving both Sitka and Ketchikan as it was in the 70's. The rest of the time it was too cold for that - except for a few brave souls. The Lido pool was used by a lot of people.

I forgot to mention that it was the middle of September.

We have cruised Alaska twice and both times spent time in both the Lido and Aft pools every day. We also swam "in Glacier Bay" (OK, so we all swam in the pool while the ship was in Glacier Bay, but it counts - same as when we swam in the Panama Canal!).

It all depends on what kind of a swimmer you are. My family loves to swim in any kind of weather most any time of the year. Give me a pool and I am in heaven. But others prefer a pool as a place to take a quick cool off when it is sunny and hot only. You will have to decide for yourself what conditions you will swim in.

We found the pools to be quite comfortable for swimming once you got in them and they were not filled with people, so were great for swimming (short) laps in. We also swam in the pool when we first got on the ship in Vancouver while waiting to be able to get into our cabins. It was a great start to our vacation and very relaxing.

Your bathing suit will not take up much space in your luggage, so I would suggest taking it with you and letting the conditions of the moment determine whether you will go swimming or not. Enjoy your vacation. Alaska is great! :)

On our Alaska cruise on the Ryndam in July 2009 there were two HAL shore excursions to go snorkeling; I believe in Sitka and Haines. Bathing suits optional :D !

I would take a swim suit if you like to swim. The Lido pool with the retractable roof will be availabe most days and it does get plenty of use. I will be on the Rotterdam on July 10 sailing out of Seattle. By the way, this ship has been on line since October or November of 1997 and this will be her first season in Alaska.

We were on the Ryndam with the retractable roof in November out of Tampa. I figured the Rotterdam would have the roof closed so that people could swim if they wanted. Just had to ask. We're really looking forward to our second HAL cruise. We'll have our bathing suits packed. Thanks, again, everyone.

Yes. You will find people in shorts and tee shirts on a nice day. The pool will be open and the roof will most likely be open. If the roof is closed you may still want to use the pool.

Last Alaskan cruise in September 2007, it was almost 80 degrees leaving Sitka on a beautiful afternoon. The swimsuit (and shorts) came in very handy that day. Of course, two days before in Juneau, we froze our you-know-whats off and it rained like mad! That's why you pack "PNW" that time of year ;)

Thanks Boytjie -- you've given me some hope for the weather on my upcoming Sept cruise :)

It's Alaska... anything can happen! Juneau was wet, cloudy and in the 50's. Glacier Bay was grey, wet and in the 30's. Sitka and Ketchikan was sunny and in the low 70's.

Archived