Maui Mall?

c-leg5

Could any one tell me if it is a short walking distance to Maui Mall? Are there any shuttle buses from the Maui Port to shopping malls or is it possible, or necessary, to get a taxi from the port? I have an elderly guest travelling with me. Thanks.

There is a free shuttle to the Queen Ka'Ahuamanu Mall. There are usually other shuttles too, Walmart, K-mart, etc. No need to pay for a cab or walk.

Thanks for the reply! We are really needing Maui Mall which looks to be just across from the port but I don't know how difficult it will be to walk.

I heard a couple of ladies saying they walked there. They said it seemed like it was a long way and there really wasn't much there. The ship ports in an industrial area. I really don't remember any sidewalks.

Its actually pretty close to the harbor but because you would have to walk in a round about way to get out of the docking area it would seem like a long walk. I would say its under a mile but you would have to get to a cross walk because it crosses what on Maui is a busy 4 lane road.

Its actually pretty close to the harbor but because you would have to walk in a round about way to get out of the docking area it would seem like a long walk. I would say its under a mile but you would have to get to a cross walk because it crosses what on Maui is a busy 4 lane road.

Thanks Maui Cruiser. If I was by myself I would probably walk but because I have an elderly lady with me I think I will need a taxi. Are certain taxis allowed into the port area do you know, or will we still need to walk to the entrance?

Thanks Maui Cruiser. If I was by myself I would probably walk but because I have an elderly lady with me I think I will need a taxi. Are certain taxis allowed into the port area do you know, or will we still need to walk to the entrance?

I don't recall taxis being allowed in to the actual passenger exit at the pier building because all vehicles that go to the pier have to be cleared through security. I remember "stalls" (for lack of a better word) a very short walk out toward the frontal road (Ala Luina) that exits out to 32. They were like platforms at train or bus stations. There were signs for each one, such as "Hilo Hattie shuttle" or "Lahaina on your own excursion." I'm pretty sure there was one for taxis, but it's been a while so don't hold me to it.

However, Maui Mall really is right across 32, once you get completely out of the docks and wharf. If you have to walk all the way out to that exit, a taxi would literally take you across the street and through the shopping center parking lot. (BTW, it's not a "mall" in the current mainland meaning. It's a reasonably small shopping center.) If you can catch a taxi at the exit from the pier where it meets Ala Luina, which goes from the Pier 1 exit out to 32, it's a bit more than a mile from there to the store fronts of the Maui Mall.

If it's not too hot a day (or time of day) and if you take it slow, you might consider walking because there is a sidewalk/walkway. Part of the walk is right along the bay; part is, well, not as lovely. It just depends on how limited your lady is for walking and for handling hot weather, and whether you want to expend energies for it. Believe me, I'm not trying to say "it's a waste to take a taxi" or "you really should walk." I'm not, not at all. My DH and I have medical limitations to the point where we must decide day by day how much we want to "pay" physically for any activity; there are plenty of days where we'd take that 1 mile taxi ride simply because it would save our finite energy for doing something more fun than walking from the pier to the store.

As an aside and I know it's OT: If you decide to walk and if you're interested in Hawaiian fabrics, there's a Fabric Mart in the green building to your left at Ala Luina and 32. It has great fabrics, patterns, notions, etc.

beachchick

Archived