LeHavre help

LHT28

If anyone is going to be in LeHavre before the end of June would you please look to see if they have any tours at the dock area to the Canadian/British D-Day sites?

Also the cost of such tours

We cannot find any others to share a private guide & doing it alone is way too much Euro.

DH does not want to drive around so do not bother suggesting that

Thanks in advance

Lyn

We will be in Le Havre in 2 weeks. We are renting a car that le havre rentacar will bring to the port for us. We are not going to be doing the Normandy D Day beaches this visit but are going to meet my cousin and aunt in Rouen. (They live in Belgium) But I will be on the lookout for any tours being offered and let you know when we return the end of this month.:)

diane

We will be in Le Havre in 2 weeks. We are renting a car that le havre rentacar will bring to the port for us. We are not going to be doing the Normandy D Day beaches this visit but are going to meet my cousin and aunt in Rouen. (They live in Belgium) But I will be on the lookout for any tours being offered and let you know when we return the end of this month.:)

diane

That is great

I know they have tours at the dock but not sure if they go to the Canadian sites

Thanks again & looking forward to your findings

Lyn

• 2 weeks later...

Taxi le Havre has cabs/vans that go to all the main sites. We just returned from there (on the NCL Sun). You can prearrange any tour with them. You can modify any of their regular tours as well. Just go to their website

http://www.taxis-le-havre.com/

It is best to arrange a van of 6-8 people for the best rates. Maybe someone on your ship's roll call would like to join you. There is no extra charge to modify the tour. They are a great company and very prompt and professional. I have used them three times.

Amy

Just returned from the Star Princess Trans-Atlantic.

I arranged a full day private Normandy Tour with Overlordtour.

There were eight in my group.

They also do half day Tours.

It is quite possible that they can "tailor" a half day Canadian Tour.

Took us about 90 minutes, each way, Port to Normandy. Give them an e-mail to see if they can help you.

Also, as suggested, see if folks from your Roll Call would be interested.

Have a great Cruise

Thanks for the info but as I stated above

We cannot find any others to share a private guide & doing it alone is way too much Euro.

I am sure others that can arrange a group on the Roll Call will appreciate the information

I understand your problem of finding others on your cruise who wish to see the Cdn sites. The ships are basically filled with Americans. The math is simple, getting to the Cdn sites can be simple to, but it is going to cost you. So you need to decide if you really HAVE to be there or not. If your answer is yes, then reserve overland tours and pay their price.

Option #2 negotiate with a cab company OR a cab on the pier. Start emailing companies now, and if unsuccessful then wait til you get to the port.

Option #3 Don't know why you are reluctant to rent a car. Wouldn't be any where similar than driving in Toronto or Montreal. It's countryside, villages, and one small city.

Option # 4 Forget about it and do something else.

I don't quite understand your last comment about others arranging a group.

If there are others on your cruise that have arranged a group tour to the Cdn site and there is no more room for you, then go on their waitlist, or start your own group and hope that others jump on to drop the prices.

Travel isn't always easy, and it always involves a trade off some where along the line.

My trade off's for the past 37 years have always included a diamond in the rough surprise and looking back now, I wouldn't change any of the choices I made.

I understand your problem of finding others on your cruise who wish to see the Cdn sites. The ships are basically filled with Americans. The math is simple, getting to the Cdn sites can be simple to, but it is going to cost you. So you need to decide if you really HAVE to be there or not. If your answer is yes, then reserve overland tours and pay their price. NO we do not have to ..it is something my DH would like to do... everyone has a choice

Option #2 negotiate with a cab company OR a cab on the pier. Start emailing companies now, and if unsuccessful then wait til you get to the port. That is what I was asking for had you read the question if such tours exist

Option #3 Don't know why you are reluctant to rent a car. Wouldn't be any where similar than driving in Toronto or Montreal. It's countryside, villages, and one small city. It is a personal preference & we do not drive in Toronto & never in Montreal unless we have to

Option # 4 Forget about it and do something else. Exactly what we will do

I don't quite understand your last comment about others arranging a group.

If there are others on your cruise that have arranged a group tour to the Cdn site and there is no more room for you, then go on their waitlist, or start your own group and hope that others jump on to drop the prices.

If you read my question it should not be hard to understand

Travel isn't always easy, and it always involves a trade off some where along the line. Exactly and that is why I posed the question looking for different options

My trade off's for the past 37 years have always included a diamond in the rough surprise and looking back now, I wouldn't change any of the choices I made.

Good for you... that is what life is all about making choices that suit you & your likes, dislikes needs & wants.

Since my question seems to be hard for people to understand

let me try to simplify it

so far

1)We have booked a tour to the Canadian/British D-day sights

2)The guide requires a minimum of 4 passenger ..we are only 2

I posted on our roll call but most of the passenger are not Canadian (surprise surprise) nor have any interest in touring those sites

3)asked on the forum if anyone is going to be in LeHavre before the end of June would you please look to see if they have any tours at the dock area to the Canadian/British D-Day sites? Simple

Diane (schoolinmy3) has graciously replied that she will look when there this month

I do not need any advice on how I should just drive or pay 800 Euros for a tour .... it is just too much money for us to justify spending for one day

We do have other options if we do not get to the D-days sights

after many years of travel I usually have a back-up plan.

If you know the answer to my question

What tours can be had at the dock ? thank you

otherwise :rolleyes:

Have you looked at the Taxi Tours that have been suggested?

http://www.taxis-le-havre.com/

They offer a "landing beaches" tour that I believe could be modified to go to the Canadian beach rather than Omaha. It is 395 euro for up to four people. I know that price is still expensive but is much less than the 800 euro that you refer to.

GeeDunk, glad you enjoyed Overlord Tours, they cpme highly recommended but be advised that they will NOT pick up in LeHavre, so no help there.

---------------------

Helen

Helen --

LeHavre is exactly where we met the Van.

They were parked outside of the Port Area

A very short walk from the Ship.

There were two groups, of eight, off of the Star.

Really, they got you in LeHavre! I had initially started with them (ultimately booked another co) but they told me they do not go to LeHavre. Hmm. Maybe they were already booked?

--------------------

Helen

Helen they will pick you up for 200E more than the tour cost

That was my 800E quote

Lyn

Yikes! I hope you find something affordable,Lyn. Maybe you can put a group together onboard. I hate to sound like a total ignoramus but how far are the Canadian sites from the American? Anyway to see both?

----------------

Helen

They are a bit closer I think that the American sites

The guide suggested that also to try to get more people once onboard but I do not like to keep them in limbo if they can get a paying customers for another tour ;)

Time will tell

Lyn

Archived