I Guess Carnival got sick of MrPete's whining.

big_duck

Even NCL was tendering on some sailings, under that second Dockside pier was completed. I thought Carnival might be a shoe in when that happened. :(

Some of our favorite ports are Grand Cayman, Belize, and Cabo. We don't mind tendering in these situations as we understand that's the only way we'd be there in the first place.

I understand that the Main Street in Hamilton is essentially a ghost town and I think that's very sad. I can't believe nobody had the foresight to add just a little bit of inferstructure to make an attractive, high speed, tender embarkation point. It would have been just like what Belize is now, only a whole lot shorter tender ride.

I'm glad to see Carnival going back to Bermuda, but we do not like cold water and would gladly sit in a Tender for 30 minutes each way to go at a time when the water is warmer. The water is just too beutiful to see and not touch!

I'm not a beach person, so water temperature is not an issue. As far as school breaks, I normally don't cruise during the spring, but I do cruise every Thanksgiving so I'm used to all the kids. I don't really notice them with all the activities that are planned. I don't think this will be a college crowd destination.

Judy..agree with you I just never did notice the kids on that Thanksgiving cruise ..but did last July on the Liberty..a first and last probably for mid summer on a cruise:D but we did get to take oldest grandson and had the Grand Oasis at HMC so it was worth it.

We are not beach folks so much anymore unless is HMC or the pool at Grand Turk..I really like warm, warm!!

Wondering though...does anyone have any idea if prices will be considerably higher for the Bermuda cruises? I'm betting they are..am checking with my TA tomorrow to see what she thinks about going ahead and booking now even though it's the Bahamas itinerary.

I believe prices for Bermuda are always high; partly because there is a lot of demand for not many cruises (comparatively); the sailings are from the east coast (was told that people are willing to pay more for the cruise itself when they don't have to pay to fly to the port); and that Bermuda charges outrageous docking fees.

I thought Fantasy's rates were pretty low. Too bad about the weekend thing.

And I did find the thread about RCI pulling out of Norfolk after this year. It's on the East Coast departures board. Looks like they'll be sailing to Bermuda from Baltimore. Seems like a perfect opportunity for Carnival to move in (they have a very nice terminal) and provide regular summer sailings.

I understand that the Main Street in Hamilton is essentially a ghost town and I think that's very sad. I can't believe nobody had the foresight to add just a little bit of inferstructure to make an attractive, high speed, tender embarkation point. It would have been just like what Belize is now, only a whole lot shorter tender ride.

I didn't find that to be the case at all. We docked right next to Front Street and were only about 20 feet from the street itself. It was very busy and there were street festivals at night and was a very happening place. Do larger ships have to dock somewhere else?. We were on Celebrity's Horizon just months before it was taken out of the fleet.

I didn't find that to be the case at all. We docked right next to Front Street and were only about 20 feet from the street itself. It was very busy and there were street festivals at night and was a very happening place. Do larger ships have to dock somewhere else?. We were on Celebrity's Horizon just months before it was taken out of the fleet.

Yes, most ships dock out at King's Wharf. The first time I went to Bermuda about six years ago, we docked at St. George's, Hamilton and King's Wharf and Hamilton was the highlight of the trip -- shopping, pubs, Harbor Nights, etc. When we went back last year we dock at St. George's and took a tax to Hamilton and it was pretty dead; lots of empty storefronts, a lot of the local stores were being taken over by the designers stores you find on Bay Street in Nassau, and not many people around. Turns out the Port Authority in Hamilton was making the bidding process for dock space very difficult and most ships abandoned it entirely for King's Wharf or St. George's. The political commentary was that the government was trying to shift away from reliance on the cruise industry and focus more on golf tourism.

Yes, most ships dock out at King's Wharf. The first time I went to Bermuda about six years ago, we docked at St. George's, Hamilton and King's Wharf and Hamilton was the highlight of the trip -- shopping, pubs, Harbor Nights, etc. When we went back last year we dock at St. George's and took a tax to Hamilton and it was pretty dead; lots of empty storefronts, a lot of the local stores were being taken over by the designers stores you find on Bay Street in Nassau, and not many people around. Turns out the Port Authority in Hamilton was making the bidding process for dock space very difficult and most ships abandoned it entirely for King's Wharf or St. George's. The political commentary was that the government was trying to shift away from reliance on the cruise industry and focus more on golf tourism.

Thanks for the update. That's a shame. :(

We just booked the Pride for 4/17, on the basis of the article. We are close to Baltimore, did not want to do the Bahama itinerary again (went shortly after the Pride arrived in Baltimore) and had booked and later cancelled a cruise to Bermuda a couple of years ago.

Now, if Carnival changes their minds, I'm going to be upset! :-O

This if for the April 10, 2011 sailing. The Pride cruises that will be changed haven't been posted yet. My PVP knows about it though and she booked it for me. My cruise shows me going to the Bahamas and eventually I'll get an email notifying me of the change. I booked with a fully refundable deposit.

I just grabbed the last 1A available on the 4/17 sailing.

Unfortunately, my PVP told me that if the Bermuda sailing is more expensive than the Bahamas, that my rate will go up! So, although I locked in the cabin category, I haven't locked in the price. :(

He's going to let me know when the bookings open up as soon as they get the info.

He did actually mention that many schedules were on hold until the Magic & Conquest thing is finalized, so I took that to mean that Magis really is going to go to Galveston and Conquest is going elsewhere!

I told him I want to know about a 1A on Glory. If the Glory sailing is WAY cheaper, I'll switch. That extra night on Pride would be nice, but Norfolk is much more convenient than Baltimore (although still not a bad drive, if I go out of my way to avoid DC).

I just didn't want to wait.

And he said he has NO idea when the others may open up. Maybe in 2-3 weeks (watch, it'll happen while I'm on Fantasy and the cabins I'm looking at will be taken when by the time I get home).

The Glory sailing is now open, but you can't access it from the website. My PVP just called me.

It would be $313 less for me in a 1A. No ES rate was available on Pride, but I can use that for Glory.

Only in port in Bermuda from 8 am until 1 pm the next day. Don't know the hours on Pride because that sailing on 4/17/11 is still showing as going to the Bahamas.

I think I'm going to switch. It's expensive for only 6 days and only 1-1/2 days in Bermuda, but Norfolk is just over 3 hours for me, so being able to drive to the port the morning of sailing makes a big difference.

The 4/17 sailing isn't updated yet in their system or online. He couldn't give me the times in port on that one, so no need to call your PVP just now. Would be nice to know so I can make my decision on whether to switch from 4/17 Pride to 10/16 Glory. And I need to know the price for Bermuda, since I'm guessing Bermuda will be more than what is showing for the Bahamas. Maybe not, though. Less fuel involved. Would be nice to know, though!

If I weren't sailing in 9 days, I'd go ahead and book Glory, too. That way, I'd have the cabin I want on both, and could make my decision later. I just don't want yet more charges to hit my credit card right now!

Unfortunately, my PVP told me that if the Bermuda sailing is more expensive than the Bahamas, that my rate will go up! So, although I locked in the cabin category, I haven't locked in the price. :(

If you put down a deposit, why isn't your price locked in? I thought that when they switched ships to different ports, or different itineraries that you are "grandfathered" into the cabin and price you booked at?

My TA checked on booking the Bahamas itinerary on the Pride and was told that our cruse would just be cancelled and we would have to rebook when they open it up for Bermuda.

Many years ago we were booked on the Spirit thru the Panama Canal. When they made the decision to keep her on the West coast they just cancelled that sailing and refunded our deposit...I'm still disappointed:eek:

I know that the port fees and govt taxes are higher in bermuda which makes their prices a bit higher BUT I hope not by much. We've gotten some great deals on NCL from NYC to Bermuda so anythings possible.

The 4/17 sailing isn't updated yet in their system or online. He couldn't give me the times in port on that one, so no need to call your PVP just now. Would be nice to know so I can make my decision on whether to switch from 4/17 Pride to 10/16 Glory. And I need to know the price for Bermuda, since I'm guessing Bermuda will be more than what is showing for the Bahamas. Maybe not, though. Less fuel involved. Would be nice to know, though!

If I weren't sailing in 9 days, I'd go ahead and book Glory, too. That way, I'd have the cabin I want on both, and could make my decision later. I just don't want yet more charges to hit my credit card right now!

You used to be grandfathered in at the rate you paid if they changed the itinerary.

Not now, according to my PVP. I specifically asked him when I booked Pride on Monday. He said that if the Bermuda rates are higher, it will just be added to my balance. If they are lower, my balance due will decrease.

Hope they release them all, soon. Can't make my decision until I can determine the per day cruise costs, the travel costs, and compare the time in Bermuda!

You used to be grandfathered in at the rate you paid if they changed the itinerary.

Not now, according to my PVP. I specifically asked him when I booked Pride on Monday. He said that if the Bermuda rates are higher, it will just be added to my balance. If they are lower, my balance due will decrease.

Hope they release them all, soon. Can't make my decision until I can determine the per day cruise costs, the travel costs, and compare the time in Bermuda!

You are grandfathered in. When Carnival cancelled all of the 8 day Spirit cruises, you could book on a 9 day cruise on the Spirit and your 8 day rate was protected.

You are grandfathered in. When Carnival cancelled all of the 8 day Spirit cruises, you could book on a 9 day cruise on the Spirit and your 8 day rate was protected.

And when they changed our December Dream cruise from 7 to 9 days, we were grandfathered in. Doesn't seem right that some are, and some aren't.

Well, things do change at Carnival. We know that.

Just telling you what my PVP told me, and so far, everything he's ever told me has been accurate & correct.

Guess we'll see when they update those Pride sailings.

Funny how we all get different information, sometimes from the same source. I have a deposit on a 1A for the 4/10 Pride cruise, currently showing the Bahamas. My PVP told me I'd keep the same cabin and get the lowest price (current or new) when it switched to Bermuda. My deposit is fully refundable, not an ES, so I can cancel any time before final payment without a penalty. I might have to switch to an ES price to get a lower price later, but that would be fine.

I'm less than an hour from Baltimore, 4 hours to NYC and just over 3 to Norfolk, and I'd prefer 7 days, so I'm hoping this works out.

Well, things do change at Carnival. We know that.

Just telling you what my PVP told me, and so far, everything he's ever told me has been accurate & correct.

Guess we'll see when they update those Pride sailings.

Funny how we all get different information, sometimes from the same source. I have a deposit on a 1A for the 4/10 Pride cruise, currently showing the Bahamas. My PVP told me I'd keep the same cabin and get the lowest price (current or new) when it switched to Bermuda. My deposit is fully refundable, not an ES, so I can cancel any time before final payment without a penalty. I might have to switch to an ES price to get a lower price later, but that would be fine.

I'm less than an hour from Baltimore, 4 hours to NYC and just over 3 to Norfolk, and I'd prefer 7 days, so I'm hoping this works out.

Fact of the matter is, they have been given no direction as of yet so they are just guessing.

OK, what my guy said, pretty much, was that Carnival had "recently" changed their policy on this (as they have with several other things).

I may call him again today. Still leaning toward Glory. There was no ES rate available on the Pride booking, so I'm booked at a PG rate.

Still, I love Miracle and would love to sail Pride.

I need to know how long she'll be in port. If she doesn't arrive until mid-afternoon, is docked for 2 nights, and leaves mid-day on the 3rd, then there isn't so much advantage to that extra day, especially if there isn't that much to do in port at night. I want the extra day to explore Bermuda, not be at sea.

OK, what my guy said, pretty much, was that Carnival had "recently" changed their policy on this (as they have with several other things).

It had to have been within the last week then because we were just notified of our Spirit cancellation a couple of weeks ago and we could have taken almost any of the 9 day sailings (Christmas and New Years excepted) and been price protected at what we paid for our 8 day. I couldn't make it work so had to choose another ship at the going rate but still got $50 per person OBC and credit for our airfare change fees.

One thing I did find out in this process is that the PVPs don't have a clue about these policies. I spoke to at least 20 different people (at least 5 of whom identified themselves as PVPs) trying to get rebooked and my airfare credited and the end result was great but most of them told me they didn't know a thing about what was happening with these sailings despite being able to see my letter on the booking. :confused:

Archived