First time NYC Which shore excursions?

Officeboy

Doing our first transatlantic in Nov before going on to the Caribbean we first have to see NYC this is the first time to the USA, Cunard have 6 shore excursions most around NYC two around the Hudson--Ellis Island We think that we would get more out of seeing the City, anything special?

I know one trip I think goes to "Top of the Rock" So while all you guys are going aboard we hope to get alook around the Big Apple.

Also found a New York sightseeing tour that goes from Times SQ on the Web

Doing our first transatlantic in Nov before going on to the Caribbean we first have to see NYC this is the first time to the USA, Cunard have 6 shore excursions most around NYC two around the Hudson--Ellis Island We think that we would get more out of seeing the City, anything special?

I know one trip I think goes to "Top of the Rock" So while all you guys are going aboard we hope to get alook around the Big Apple.

What does the tour to "Top of the Rock" Cost and does it include something else, then I may be able to tell you if it is worth it. Sometimes, Cunard provides a simple transfer from Brooklyn to midtown and then you can go on your own if you are a walker, have a better time and do it less expensively.

How long are you there for? There are two good Grayline Bus Tours from Times Square, one does upper Manhattan and the other does Lower, they take a day each as they are hohos, Staten Island ferry is free and gives a good view of S of Liberty. Central Park is good to walk around in daytime.

When Cunard's ships fit into the piers on the West side of NYC, it was a breeze to do your own tours. Now with the possibility of traffic jams etc coming and going to Brooklyn (QM2) Victoria and QE can dock in NYC but will they if the QM2 is also not in town?

I think for a first time, you need to get a Cunard tour that covers as much of Manhattan as possible. Say from a doubledecker bus topside so you can see it all. If the weather is very nice the Circle Line boat ride around Manhattan is also excellent as you get to see it all from the water rather than from the streets. Either one will not dissapoint.

Penny Pocket. The reason the QM2 docks in Brooklyn, is that it she is so long that she sticks out into the Hudson River at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. I don't think the QM2 ever docks at Manhattan now. The QV does still.

Mike

I would recommend that you take a taxi from the terminal into Manhattan via the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel. You can have them drop you off at a subway stop downtown and then take the train uptown.

Gray Line has loads of tours that leave out of Times Square. There are many "hop on, hop off" types that let you see what interests you. If you are up to walking, Times Square is a great jumping off point for many of the midtown attractions.

NYC Subway map

If you want a walking tour, I can give you many sights within walking distance of Times Square.

Have a great time.

Thanks for all your replies, we are in New York for 8-9hrs when QM2 docks after TA & before she sails on to the Caribbean. Here is the Cunard link to their 6 Shore Excursions http://book.cunard.co.uk/find/pb/cruiseDetailsShorex.do?ship=QM&subTrade=&date=0610&duration=2&orderBy=&pageOffset=&filterBy=&voyageCode=M009&noOfPax=2&airCity=LON

Don't know yet the cost of cunards S E's but have seen Grays tours at 148$

How much time would we need to return to the QM2 from say Times Sq before she sails

Thanks for all your replies, we are in New York for 8-9hrs when QM2 docks after TA & before she sails on to the Caribbean. Here is the Cunard link to their 6 Shore Excursions http://book.cunard.co.uk/find/pb/cruiseDetailsShorex.do?ship=QM&subTrade=&date=0610&duration=2&orderBy=&pageOffset=&filterBy=&voyageCode=M009&noOfPax=2&airCity=LON

How much time would we need to return to the QM2 from say Times Sq before she sails

Realistically you can be in Manhattan by 9am, and you really need to be back on board no laater than 3pm perhaps 3.30. That only gives you 6 hours. In the past I have rented a car service from a local company and have the driver take us to all of the sights plus to the shops where it will wait. The cost is $40 per hour plus tips and I find that 2 to 3 hours is plenty. The details are Arecibo Cars from Brooklyn, NY 11217

Tel (718) 783-6465

www.arecibocc.com

I suggest that you call them when arrive at Pier 12 Terminal and ask for a town car for however long you want it and make sure that you get a price quoted. They are very good but are not too good if you make appointments too far in advance.

Enjoy the trip.

Thanks for all your replies, we are in New York for 8-9hrs when QM2 docks after TA & before she sails on to the Caribbean. Here is the Cunard link to their 6 Shore Excursions http://book.cunard.co.uk/find/pb/cruiseDetailsShorex.do?ship=QM&subTrade=&date=0610&duration=2&orderBy=&pageOffset=&filterBy=&voyagecode=M09&noOfPax=2&airCity=LON

the Http:// has put some spaces in after 0610 and also voyageC ode take these out then it will work sorry for that!! dont know why it does that the preview is correct

May I suggest that this is one time it might be better to take a Cunard tour. Reason: traffic is very unpredictable where bridges and tunnels are concerned. While the ship will wait for a Cunard tour to return, you're out of luck if you're on an independent tour. I have been on more than one voyage where departure was delayed for a returning Cunard tour.

Alternatively, if you don't wish to take a Cunard tour and your time is limited, one suggestion is that you take a cab to the Brooklyn Heights Promenade. It's less than 20 minutes from the terminal and you get a great view of the Manhattan skyline. It is also a lovely area to take a stroll, enjoy a nice lunch and do some shopping on Montague Street. See http://nymag.com/listings/attraction/brooklyn_heights_promenade/

Salacia

Unless money is not an object, call the recommended car service (Arceibo) and have them drop you in midtown - let's say Grand Central Terminal and go from there if you are walkers. Tour the terminal itself, walk north through ther Metlife & Helmsley Bldgs to see Park Avenue, then west to Madison and 5th Avenues, St. Patrick's, Rockefeller Center, Top of the Rock, west again to the Theater District and Times Square, or north along 6th or 5th Avenues to Central Park, Columbus Circle at the SW corner of the Park. Lots of places to eat along the way.

Taxi back to the Pier ($25 roughly with toll & tip), allow one hour via Brooklyn Battery Tunnel or Brooklyn Bridge.

Unless money is not an object, call the recommended car service (Arceibo) and have them drop you in midtown - let's say Grand Central Terminal and go from there if you are walkers. Tour the terminal itself, walk north through ther Metlife & Helmsley Bldgs to see Park Avenue, then west to Madison and 5th Avenues, St. Patrick's, Rockefeller Center, Top of the Rock, west again to the Theater District and Times Square, or north along 6th or 5th Avenues to Central Park, Columbus Circle at the SW corner of the Park. Lots of places to eat along the way.

Taxi back to the Pier ($25 roughly with toll & tip), allow one hour via Brooklyn Battery Tunnel or Brooklyn Bridge.

If money was an irrevelant due to ill health and unable to walk long distances what would you suggest the best way to see New York by Taxi/etc 4-6 hour trip?

Thanks

Carl

Another option is to get a car and driver for the day. Here is a thread where this was discussed.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1023038&highlight=

Read Annette's post #2. This option would be more expensive, but you could choose exactly where you want to go and you would have someone who is knowledgeable about the city as your guide. If you decide you just want someone to drive you into the city and drop you off, Arecebo would be fine. However, most of their drivers are not tour guides and would depend on you telling them where you want to go.

Enjoy your voyage.

...How much time would we need to return to the QM2 from say Times Sq before she sails ...

I can tell you that as a result of recent activities, traffic (both pedestrian and vehicular) can be unpredictable in NYC. Just yesterday, Times Square was cordoned off for a couple of hours while an unattended package was investigated. The RFK Bridge was also closed earlier in the week for a few hours while an abandoned truck was investigated. Happily, both were false alarms. We're used to this kind of thing in NY, but visitors should be aware of the possiblity of delays. Previously I recommened that this might be one occasion where Cunard tours are preferable; now I have explained why.

Miscellanous tips if your taking your own tour: As a native New Yorker, I always carry with me a subway map and have a back-up plan for getting to and from my destination. I keep phone numbers for a few car services in my wallet. If you don't know the City, take a street map with you. As others have pointed out, I also suggest you have a copy of driving directions to the Brooklyn CruiseTerminal in case you or your driver need to refer to directions. With these simple measures, you're covered for just about any contingency :)

Officeboy, the amount of time it takes to get from Times Square to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal depends on what mode of transportation you are taking, etc. In general, I would allow 2 hours prior to final boarding time. Admittedly, some might think that excessive. But what's the worse that can happen---you spend an extra hour on the QM2 :)

Bon Voyage,

Salacia

Although a car service is convenient, IMHO, Manhattan is best traversed by Subway. They are fast, clean, generally safe and not subject to traffic jams. If you get a car service or cab from the terminal through the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel (which is right outside to terminal), you will be in lower Manhattan in a few minutes. The subway uptown is a very quick ride. There are numerous sights to see in the Times Square/Rockefeller Center area. I ALWAYS recommend a stop at Juniors on 45 Street just west of Times Square for a slice of their world famous cheesecake. This can start another whole thread. :D

You might want to check out this site:

http://www.bigapplegreeter.org/ The service is free and the guides are expert.

Whatever you do, have a wonderful time. NY is the greatest city in the world and contrary to popular opinion, most New Yorkers are very helpful.

I agree with Salacia's recommendation of a Cunard tour. It's so much better to be safe and know the ship will wait for you if you are late on a ship's tour. If they offer a fairly comprehensive tour, go for that!

... NY is the greatest city in the world and contrary to popular opinion, most New Yorkers are very helpful.

:confused: Yikes I had no idea about that 'poplular opinion'. But

thank you, I'm sure most of us New Yorkers would appreciate your endorsement :)

BTW if you're tour includes Grand Central Station, check out the the small Juniors 'take-out' store there. It's right next to this small but fun place to visit & shop:

New York Transit Museum Gallery Annex & Store at Grand Central Terminal

HoursMonday – Friday: 8 AM to 8 PM

Saturday – Sunday: 10 AM to 6 PM

Closed: major holidays and for special events

Phone(212) 878-0106

AdmissionFree

DirectionsLocated just off the main concourse in the Shuttle Passage, adjacent to the Station Masters' Office

Salacia

Nobody seems to have mentioned it but on the assumption that you have time to go to the top of only one skyscraper IMHO The Empire State Building is vastly superior as a viewpoint to the Rockefeller Centre (top of the Rock) and you will also be able to see the QM2.

It opens at 8.00am so go there first to avoid queueing.

:confused: Yikes I had no idea about that 'poplular opinion'. But

thank you, I'm sure most of us New Yorkers would appreciate your endorsement :)

BTW if you're tour includes Grand Central Station, check out the the small Juniors 'take-out' store there. It's right next to this small but fun place to visit & shop:

New York Transit Museum Gallery Annex & Store at Grand Central Terminal

HoursMonday – Friday: 8 AM to 8 PM

Saturday – Sunday: 10 AM to 6 PM

Closed: major holidays and for special events

Phone(212) 878-0106

AdmissionFree

DirectionsLocated just off the main concourse in the Shuttle Passage, adjacent to the Station Masters' Office

Salacia

The small Juniors is one of my favorite stops in the city. It is part of our "Christmas In NY" tour. GCT is a great stop, but not necessarily part of the Gilligan's Island 3 hour tour.

You might want to check out this site:

http://www.bigapplegreeter.org/ The service is free and the guides are expert.

Whatever you do, have a wonderful time. NY is the greatest city in the world and contrary to popular opinion, most New Yorkers are very helpful.

+++++++++++++++++++

I am one of those "guides" though we (all volunteers) call ourselves Greeters, so as not to be confused with paid people. Your chance of landing me or one of the 300 others is about 1 in 3/4 during the peak seasons and maybe 1 in 2 in the slack season. It is that popular.

My next visit will be taking five Germans to the Upper West and Central Park on Thurs.

If you get to tour with Karanja (Ted) you will have hit the jackpot. I loved his very entertaining and informative lectures on NYC while onboard QM2 last October.:) I got many new insights into my lifelong home.

Denise

Can I add another "YES" for Big Apple Greeters. Had a lovely guy 3 years ago. He took us to Columbia University and the big church that isn;t finished (sorry, can't remember its name). as well as the market under Central Station. It rained the entire day and we had so much fun. They are wonderful. An asset to a wonderful city.

Archived