Self service washers

Amsterdam

Washers are $2 -- takes quarters -- use their bio-degradeable soap.

Dryers are $1 - takes quarters -- bring your own softner sheets.

You can get quarters at the front desk.

Do you have to purchase the soap from a machine or is it automaticlly dispersed? If so how much is the soap?

Returned from 31 day Veendam cruise less than 2 weeks ago, and I used the self-serve washers frequently BUT there were only 2 or 3 (at most) per floor that worked. In addition we were on the Lanai deck and they flooded--a lot-- and our cabin got a little wet one night and our neighbor's cabin got soaked. The first couple of days the wet vacs and the fans were literally going 20 hrs out of 24 hrs each day. I put in a written complaint and insisted on speaking with a ship's officer; after that it got a little better. Capt. BJ was asked about this issue in a an open forum and said the aundry was "a low priority" (I can see where it would be for him, but not for me).

Yikes, Pat bz! That's one problem with the lanai cabins that I hadn't anticipated. We're doing the fall repositioning on the Veendam and our cabin is pretty near the laundry (which I considered a plus). Do you mind telling me what cabin you had? My e-mail address is in my signature if you don't want to post it here........I'd love to hear your experiences.

Marnie

We were in Lanai cabin number 351. We loved the Lanai cabin but I suggest you bring 2 clear plastic protectors and safety pins (to make signs for your reserved deck chairs). Some people had HUGE problems with people who either didn't know about this or chose to ignore it. On chair issue, HAL would smile and say "sorry" (unless the issue escalated to security getting involved--happened to a neighbor, not us TG).

Thanks for the suggestion. We're going to be on the port side, so we'll be away from the door of the laundry. I hope this makes a difference. I'll also try to remember not to leave anything on the floor that can't get wet. (Right. Sure. I'll remember never to drop my book when I go to sleep:rolleyes:)

Do all HAL ships have self-service laundry? I didn't realize this, but it's a huge plus, being onboard for 2 weeks! Does anyone know if the Maasdam has this?

Yes, the Maasdam has a self-service laundry on some of the cabin decks. The ships that do not have these launderettes include the Vista and Signature class: Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Westerdam, Noordam, Eurodam, and the Nieuw Amsterdam.

Just off the Westerdam from a 20 day Transatlantic & Med cruise. Fabulous EXCEPT for no self-service laundry. By doing hand laundry every other day, we managed to spend only $75 for ship laundry service. Told them I will NOT sail the Westerdam again for more than a week because they don't have a laundry. Maybe if enough people let them know, they will make the laundry a priority!

Shirley

I know some will disagree but if I am spending thousands of dollars to cruise I will gladly pay the fee for unlimited laundry/pressing. No way do I want to spend my precious vacation hours standing in line or waiting for machines to get done so I can then get on with enjoying myself.

One of the reasons to cruise is to get away from these mundane everyday tasks IMHO. :D

Amsterdam

Washers are $2 -- takes quarters -- use their bio-degradeable soap.

Dryers are $1 - takes quarters -- bring your own softner sheets.

You can get quarters at the front desk.

Rather than waiting in line at the front desk for quarters I save the quarters we get in change for months before our cruise and I bring them, in film canisters or in ziplock sandwich bags.

That way I can go directly from our cabin to the launderette without having to purchase quarters.

I know some will disagree but if I am spending thousands of dollars to cruise I will gladly pay the fee for unlimited laundry/pressing. No way do I want to spend my precious vacation hours standing in line or waiting for machines to get done so I can then get on with enjoying myself.

One of the reasons to cruise is to get away from these mundane everyday tasks IMHO. :D

For those not in suites, unlimited laundry is approximately $7 a day (per cabin as charged, despite the fact HAL says it's per person), prepaid by the number of cruise days. That's a good price when one looks at the charges per item if done a la carte.

In the past we've relied on the 'bag' specials, but for our 14 day Alaska cruise later this month we're going to pay for 'unlimited' laundry so that we can take fewer clothes, leaving plenty of room for the bulkier sweatshirts, turtlenecks, etc.

I completely agree. I don't iron at home and so I certainly don't do laundry while on vacation. If my budget can't afford a few extra dollars for the ship to do my laundry then I have no business taking the cruise. Get away from it all, I say. :D

I completely agree. I don't iron at home and so I certainly don't do laundry while on vacation. If my budget can't afford a few extra dollars for the ship to do my laundry then I have no business taking the cruise. Get away from it all, I say. :D

I've paid to have laundry done, and I've done it myself, either in machines or in the sink. I see paying for laundry to be done for me as being like paying to have my hair shampooed and styled. Nice, but not necessary.

It is my trip, and I enjoy it my way. If saving a few bucks on laundry makes me happy, well, it makes me happy! If I spend thousands of dollars to cruise and save ten or twenty dollars by doing something myself, I'm not "wrong." ;)

It's like wearing a ten dollar shirt with a thousand dollar suit. :eek: It's just fine, even if others would never do it.

Some of us really enjoy saving money, even while spending lots of it.

Just off the Westerdam from a 20 day Transatlantic & Med cruise. Fabulous EXCEPT for no self-service laundry. By doing hand laundry every other day, we managed to spend only $75 for ship laundry service. Told them I will NOT sail the Westerdam again for more than a week because they don't have a laundry. Maybe if enough people let them know, they will make the laundry a priority!

Shirley

I agree that having the self-serve laundermat on board is a big plus. Especially in these days of stiff fees for checking bags on airlines. You can take half or less of what you would have to otherwise. I don't mind sending dry-cleaning to the ship's laundry, but I'd rather do washables myself.

I asked earlier, but no one seemed to answer. We are trying to decide whether to purchase unlimited laundry or use the self service. On CCL and PCL we found long lines to use the self service machines. Are there long lines on HAL to use self service washing machines?

Rather than waiting in line at the front desk for quarters I save the quarters we get in change for months before our cruise and I bring them, in film canisters or in ziplock sandwich bags.

That way I can go directly from our cabin to the launderette without having to purchase quarters.

I can't be bothered to carry that extra weight.

Have never found a line at the front desk.

I asked earlier, but no one seemed to answer. We are trying to decide whether to purchase unlimited laundry or use the self service. On CCL and PCL we found long lines to use the self service machines. Are there long lines on HAL to use self service washing machines?

I rarely do laundry on a ship -- but the couple of times that I did -- no lines -- just picked an early morning time -- like 7 AM when the laundry room opens to do a load.

As with most things, whether there are lines/waits or not will be determined by the hurry you're in for that day ;) :D

Before I decided that the ship could do my laundry, I did experience waiting to get machines (or for another user to come back and pull their stuff out :( ) YMMV.

Archived