Diabetic menu on board

JudithLynne

Judith, here are a couple of sites which may help you which I have found very usefull over the years. Also you can review the sample menus on the Princess Site. I am type 1 using a insulin pump so I plan on using the sample menus to help plan. Also remember you can ask for off menu items if they are available, I usually as for a bowl of berries for desert. Good Luck

http://www.diabetes-self-mgmt.com/

http://www.lifescan.com/

http://www.diabetes.org/

http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/index.htm

Diabetic for 50 years. :)

I have been an insulin dependent diabetic (Type 1) for 34 years. It came as a shock when I was first diagnosed as there is no family history of diabetes. I had just had a very severe bout of 'flu and my diabetes is thought to be virus related.My advice is to inform yourselves as much as you can about diabetes as it's almost a 'self-care' illness. My husband knows as much about diabetes as I do and I can see from your posts that you are also very involved in your husband's diagnosis. From the very beginning, I was determined that I would fit diabetes around my life and not my life around diabetes. I have listened to all the professional advice available to me and have acted on it. Fortunately, as your husband is only borderline, with careful monitoring and adjustments to his diet he may never progress to requiring medication. Many Type 2 diabetics control with diet and exercise alone. We travel extensively and when we cruised with Princess to SE Asia I had no problems whatsoever. There was an extensive menu to choose from with plenty of healthy options. As your DH is to see a dietician, by the time you cruise you should be well on the way to understanding a diabetic diet and most especially portion sizes. I am now 62 years old and diabetes hasn't stopped me doing a thing. I have never been hospitalised because of my diabetes and I have no diabetic related health issues. If possible, purchase a glucometer to test your blood sugar. Don't be obsessive but it does help to keep an eye on your levels. Good luck - you'll be fine as you have the right attitude. All the advice you have received so far has been good.

Nylsor,

I really admire your ability and perseverance to take care of yourself. That is also true of others that have taken the much appreciated time to respond to my thread. You and Mark are the same age.

I talked with our MD on Friday and it looks like we will not see the dietician until after we return from the cruise. BUT I have done some research and am more knowledgeable than I was one week ago.

I have a question, though, for all of you……. what about wine? We sure love our wine in the evening. Is this something we should avoid or is there a way to "budget" for it?

Judith

I have a question, though, for all of you……. what about wine? We sure love our wine in the evening. Is this something we should avoid or is there a way to "budget" for it?

Judith and Mark - I have some really good news for you! My favourite tipple is red wine. I drink it every weekend in restaurants and I am known to have the odd glass at home! It never affects my blood sugars. Neither does dry white wine but red is my preference. I also like the odd glass of gin and diet tonic and a whisky and soda now and again. Always be very careful of what I think in the US is known as 'soda' or 'mixers' here in the UK. In the UK there is a very wide variety of diet or low calorie drinks, eg. Coke, Cola, tonic, lemonade, etc. Apart from diet Coke I find these almost impossible to obtain in many European countries or the US. I certainly couldn't get diet tonic when I was on the Diamond so couldn't partake of a refreshing G&T. What a shame - I had to console myself with a nice glass (glasses) of red wine.;) Just be careful of the 'empty' calories in alcohol - they can cause a weight issue. Can't see this being an issue for you Mark as you exercise. Read as much as you can re diabetes - thank goodness for the internet!

Best wishes

Ros

Thanks Ros...we do not drink mixed drinks and besides that, Mark dislikes carbonated beverages. The only alcoholic beverage we drink is wine, although I have been known to have a shot of brandy on occasion.

We like both red and white wines and we like them very dry. To us, there is no such thing as a wine that is too dry.

Judith

Archived