Diabetic menu on board

JudithLynne

My husband and I will be taking our 25th cruise in 10 days. Our 18th with Princess. We have always been in good health and have ordered freely in the MDR. My husband was diagnosed with pre-diabetes this morning. He is very interested in following a diabetic diet and was encouraged by his MD that exercise (which he does regularly as a gym member) and diet could easily reverse this process as his glucose level is just slightly high.

I would like to know:

1. Does Princess offer a diabetic menu or are you required to just know what to order? Do they offer a low fat menu? ( We like anytime dining)

2. Is it too late to notify the ship that my husband would like a special menu if available? If so, do we contact our TA or can we call Princess directly.

Any advice would be appreciated. This is all so new to us. Thank you…….

Judith

We r both on the border too with sugar levels.Dr.says to walk,walk,walk and maybe avoid medication,but on a cruise,i don't know if we could follow a low sugar diet?Good question though,maybe if there is a menu on this it might be pretty good too??Yikes...:eek:

I have never heard of a seperate Diabectic menu given. But I would alert Princess with the medical form on your booking, and then contact the Maitre D' or head waiter when you arrive at the dining room and alert him to this fact. They will be able to instruct you as to what items would be best to order, and they will make special desserts and such that you will be allowed to eat. But just remember to keep in touch with the head waiter or Maitre D' about this and don't leave anything to chance. ;)

I am a type 1 and have cruised many many times. It is very easy to stay within the "diet" guidelines on a cruise. The key is choosing wisely. I have found that the "sugar free" deserts often have as many carbs as the regular deserts (they use othe types of sugars such as fruit juice as sweeteners). I have not notified the cruise before I get on, but I do make sure the waiter knows as once I take my insulin I cant have a huge delay before the food arrives. On the rare occasion when I did have a low blood suger (main course was very slow) the waiters responded immediatly and there after always kept a dish of ice cream near by as insurance!!!!!!! Please see a dietician before you go and make some sample menus to review when you are on the cruise. Initially this diabetes thing is very scary but it gets easier with time. I was diagnosed 2 years ago and have run 2 marathons since then. I wear a pump and have had no problems cruising at all. Exercise is easy on the cruise-walking outside or in the gym are a great start! Even a 15 or 20 minute walk after each meal will help. Always keep candy with you as sometimes you get a bit more exercise than anticipated and need a little boost. Good luck, enjoy and remember it is better to run a little high than to run too low.

My husband is type 2, and I do not know of a specific menu. It is more he had to learn what he can eat and what to avoid. Diabetics respond differently to certain foods. In general terms avoiding carbs and excercise works very well.

Rich has found the most aggressive excercise that works for him on a cruise since he hates gyms is to walk all the stairs up and down several times. He also follows meals with a brisk walk around the deck.

With being borderline you may not have the meters to test so it is harder to figure out what works and what does not. Type 1 diabetes is a whole different problem and does merit a meeting with the staff.

Our MD has ordered a consultation with a dietician and hopefully that will be soon and before our cruise.

I just went into the “personalizer” for our upcoming cruise. There is not a diabetic menu listed for the “dietary requests’ They do have a low fat diet menu and that would help, so I checked that. I also checked the low sodium choice. Although unrelated, we do not like a lot of added salt in our diet.

It sounds like he needs to limit carbs and sugar.

As far as exercise, he works out 4-5 times a week at the gym. He also watches what he eats. This diagnosis has really surprised me given his healthy lifestyle.

Maryr1....do you have any suggestions on what to order for desert? I appreciate all your information, especially about sugar free deserts. Mark likes frozen yogurt, but that is undoubtedly loaded with sugar. After looking at a diabetic diet on the web all I have to say is that this is a diet that everyone should follow. The problem that you mentioned though is the hidden ingredients in some foods.

Judith

I was diagnosed with type 2 about 2 yrs ago and have cruised twice since. You and your husband should complete your "diabetic education" before you go - it's a lot of info that they throw at you at once but it's useful when you get thru it. You'll start to see food as fuel for your body.

I really don't think that there is a need to notify the maitre'd about your "special needs", you can tell your waiter but if you are anytime dining, you may not have the same waiter every night. Get some fruit for your cabin in case he goes low before dinner. There are sugar free deserts but I personally don't care for them, watch the carbs (breads, grains & fruits) If hubby is testing, have him test if he feels shaky (usually below 100) or if he is tired, has a headache and cranky after eating (usually high - above 140). I found skipping the elevators helped, I counted it as exercise. I lost weight on the last one. Just don't exercise before you eat - you run the risk of going too low. I try to keep some candy or coke with me when we are in port so I have something in case we haven't eaten.

Enjoy your cruise!

Susie

Our MD has ordered a consultation with a dietician and hopefully that will be soon and before our cruise.

I just went into the “personalizer” for our upcoming cruise. There is not a diabetic menu listed for the “dietary requests’ They do have a low fat diet menu and that would help, so I checked that. I also checked the low sodium choice. Although unrelated, we do not like a lot of added salt in our diet.

It sounds like he needs to limit carbs and sugar.

As far as exercise, he works out 4-5 times a week at the gym. He also watches what he eats. This diagnosis has really surprised me given his healthy lifestyle.

Maryr1....do you have any suggestions on what to order for desert? I appreciate all your information, especially about sugar free deserts. Mark likes frozen yogurt, but that is undoubtedly loaded with sugar. After looking at a diabetic diet on the web all I have to say is that this is a diet that everyone should follow. The problem that you mentioned though is the hidden ingredients in some foods.

Judith

You will find it is easy to eat low sugar/carb after you consultation on what is a "serving" and how many serving is allowed.

My husband has diabetis 2, he sugar levels are just over the threshold and he has been eating to make sure they stay low for the past two years.

The key is to count carb servings for each meal. He aims for 3-5 servings per meal.

We eat whole grain, fresh fruit and vegetables and lean meat and fish.

We do ask for whole grain bread in the MDR and the Lido, that is about all we ask for on a special order basis for his diet. Otherwise we order meats and fish without sauces and we don't eat dessert. We often take sugar free candy as a dessert for my husband or low carb cookies we bring from home. He also watches how much wine/alcohol he drinks. Exercise daily is important too.

The dietetic diet is really the way we all should eat for good health.

Anytime dining is not a problem.

On the first evening, speak with the Matre d' or your headwaiter. He will work with you with that evening's menu to select foods that will meet your dietary needs.

Then each evening he will bring the next evening's menu (and, if you wish the dining room lunch and breakfast menus) to help you select what you would like to eat and if any of the items that would not normally meet your needs can be prepared to meet them. They will keep your requests under your name and cabin number so if you have a different waitstaff the next day, just inform them that your have sone this.

Since you are in anytime, you should try to use the same anytime room each evening so that the Matre d'/headwaiter will be familiar with your needs.

Please realize that with anytime you may be subject to a wait before being able to be seated. If this is a problem, either try to make anytime reservations (which some of the ships allow) or have a plan to be able to have some food (from the buffet? the International Cafe?) available if you need to wait amd require the food before you can be seated.

Yes, you should make your waitstaff aware of what foods should never reach your plates, but it is the Matre d'/headwaiter you need to work with.

I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes about 3 years ago. I've been on several cruises since my diagnosis and have had very little problems. The only time I've mentioned my diabetes to the wait staff is when I order a diet coke (I usually get the soda card). I want to make sure they know I can't have regular coke for medical reasons. I keep my carb count to about 45 carbs for breakfast and lunch and about 60 carbs for dinner. These amounts were established for me by my physican and diabetic dietician. Once you have your consultation with your dietician, you will better understand how to eat healthy, how to count carbohydrates and stay within normal blood sugar levels.

The main thing to keep in mind is that you can eat most everything offered, as long as it's in moderation! There are some things I only take a taste of or split with one or two table-mates (the cheesecake or pasta dishes come to mind!;)) so I don't feel too deprived. I love the sugar donuts offered in the MDR in the mornings, so I plan my day's menu around this item. I know if I eat one of these, I need to limit any other carbs for that meal.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Hi,

I am also borderline type 2 diabetes, the best advice is to read up what type of carb you should have and how much that including juices and fruits. Taking the diabetes education course at you local area would be very beneficial. Each person process carb difference way.

I remember from 2 most recent cruises they always have sugar free dessert choices both in dinning room and buffet. But sugar free items not always a good choice for pre-diabetes or type 2.

LS.

I was dx'd 10 years ago. You can be very healthy and still get diabetes. It's all in the genes. That being said if you can get your hands on a meter it's easy to find out just what foods he can eat and others he can't. I can eat just about anything in reasonable amounts. I just don't go overboard. Somethings I just can't eat like breads and pasta. You have your meal and then test 1-2 hours later to see how the meal has affected your numbers so then you know if you can have that again. I also find the taking the stairs helps keep the weight off and the numbers down. Just relax and have a good time. You'll find it'll become seccond nature after a while and you'll be eating healthier than most other people.

Eileen

Judith, I too was very shocked when I was diagnosed. I was 48, had just run my 8th marathon, was not over weight and had no family history..... the doctor thinks I may of had a virus. Who knows, but it was a real shock! Anyway, we always have any time dining but make a reservation for a standing time. They have been very accomadating. For desert, the best I can figure is the sugar free jello with whipped cream. That has almost no effect on my blood sugar. The other deserts I just cover if I am going to have more than 1 or 2 bites. I have pretty good self control so I am usually happy with a little taste. It is actually almost easier to be a type 1 because we have input into our insulin levels by the insulin pump or shots. As a type 2 the oral meds just "encourage" your pancrease to work better. Have they talked to you about Bietta? (sp?) It is an injection of a synthetic hormone that they have found some type 2s lack. It slows the absorption of carbs. I use Symlin which is a similar product aimed at type 1 patients. I use it with my insulin. The other thing that I had trouble understanding in the beginning is that a carb is not like every other carb-and I react differently to different types of carbs. Therefore I cover certain carbs way more aggressively than others.....it is all trial and error. Remember that a high blood sugar is not a poor reflection on your husband so don't let your blood sugars play with your head. There are so many factors that influence your body/metabolism that your blood sugars even when eating the exact same thing and doing the exact same activities will produce different numbers. Frustrating-yes, poor reflection on you-no. My friend (who is also a type 1) finds alcohol is a whole different animal whan it comes to covering. (I don't drink so it doesn't impact me) but if your husband like a cocktail you might want to ask the dietician specifically about this. Being a type 2 this trip should be all about making wise choices and moderation. Literally EVERYTHING on the menu is OK but in small amounts. Don't have a meal that consists of bread, pasta and cake. Have salad, pasta and skip the roll. Share a desert. I have never even considered skipping the sauces on the meats-it's not like they put a bucket full on, but I wouldn't have pancakes and syrup for breakfast! (I do taste my husbands though!) Please have fun on your vacation. We left for a week of skiing in Colorado 2 days after I was diagnosed and I did fine. Please feel free to PM me if you want more info. Good luck! Just wanted to add that the one problem I have had on cruises is the soda card-you can use your glucometer to measure sugar in drinks-if they give you real soda it reads hi, if it is diet it reads lo or error4. On Princess the soda lines are not all that clear and I was constantly getting "high" sodas. After 2 days I went to the food and beverage manager and they refunded my card. Now I just purchase cans so I can see what I am getting. Some people can taste the difference, but I can't. For the few extra dollars, it is worth it to me.

Your visit with the dietician will help alot. As a basic rule of thumb, your meal should be about 3/5 protein, 1/5 vegetable, and 1/5 starch/sugar. For desserts, he can get fresh fruit, but be careful with sugary sauces. Also, a small scoop of ice cream is fine for most type 2's. I mean SMALL. And that's only if there wasn't a big ol' baked potato or something really starchy with the meal. I have read on here that the waiter or maitre d' will speak with you each night regarding the next night's meal. That way they can plan ahead what offerings to have available for you. A new diagnosis is scary, but it really isn't that hard to maintain a proper diet if you have self-discipline. Best of luck and please let us know how it goes. ;)

Edited to add: I have found dlife.com to be a great website for support and questions. There is a specific section for type 2's.

I have been seated several times with people who were diabetics. There is no special menu but definitely alert the Maitre D' when you board and explain what you need. He will provide a menu for the next day (including lunch if you want) and you can pick and choose what you want, OR they will modify any dish for you to your requirements. Not only that but if you see something on the menu one night and you want it a couple of nights later, just let them know the night before. I've found Princess to be very accommodating.

I am a type II diabetic. Have been on one cruise since diagnosis (got the diagnosis the day I returned from a 10 day Alaskan cruise). Anyway, it was really easy to follow a diabetic diet....there is a huge choice of lean proteins (fish and chicken), appetizers (salad or fruit), I had just one roll, and there are always sugar free desserts (both in MDR and buffet). For dinner, I always had ice tea with lemon. My waiter realized what I was eating and made recommendations for me. He even offered to have something special for me but there wasn't a need for that. You will find the choices are really unlimited for you.

Judith, I too was very shocked when I was diagnosed. I was 48, had just run my 8th marathon, was not over weight and had no family history..... the doctor thinks I may of had a virus. Who knows, but it was a real shock! Anyway, we always have any time dining but make a reservation for a standing time. They have been very accomadating. For desert, the best I can figure is the sugar free jello with whipped cream. That has almost no effect on my blood sugar. The other deserts I just cover if I am going to have more than 1 or 2 bites. I have pretty good self control so I am usually happy with a little taste. It is actually almost easier to be a type 1 because we have input into our insulin levels by the insulin pump or shots. As a type 2 the oral meds just "encourage" your pancrease to work better. Have they talked to you about Bietta? (sp?) It is an injection of a synthetic hormone that they have found some type 2s lack. It slows the absorption of carbs. I use Symlin which is a similar product aimed at type 1 patients. I use it with my insulin. The other thing that I had trouble understanding in the beginning is that a carb is not like every other carb-and I react differently to different types of carbs. Therefore I cover certain carbs way more aggressively than others.....it is all trial and error. Remember that a high blood sugar is not a poor reflection on your husband so don't let your blood sugars play with your head. There are so many factors that influence your body/metabolism that your blood sugars even when eating the exact same thing and doing the exact same activities will produce different numbers. Frustrating-yes, poor reflection on you-no. My friend (who is also a type 1) finds alcohol is a whole different animal whan it comes to covering. (I don't drink so it doesn't impact me) but if your husband like a cocktail you might want to ask the dietician specifically about this. Being a type 2 this trip should be all about making wise choices and moderation. Literally EVERYTHING on the menu is OK but in small amounts. Don't have a meal that consists of bread, pasta and cake. Have salad, pasta and skip the roll. Share a desert. I have never even considered skipping the sauces on the meats-it's not like they put a bucket full on, but I wouldn't have pancakes and syrup for breakfast! (I do taste my husbands though!) Please have fun on your vacation. We left for a week of skiing in Colorado 2 days after I was diagnosed and I did fine. Please feel free to PM me if you want more info. Good luck! Just wanted to add that the one problem I have had on cruises is the soda card-you can use your glucometer to measure sugar in drinks-if they give you real soda it reads hi, if it is diet it reads lo or error4. On Princess the soda lines are not all that clear and I was constantly getting "high" sodas. After 2 days I went to the food and beverage manager and they refunded my card. Now I just purchase cans so I can see what I am getting. Some people can taste the difference, but I can't. For the few extra dollars, it is worth it to me.

I myself was diagnosed with Type 2 insulin dependent (meds morning and night and Insulin shot at night) in July of 2008. The problem with alcohol is not what most people think, the common idea is that because it is made with sugars (fermentation) that it would cause your numbers (blood glucose) to go high. The truth is that when you drink alcohol, your liver stops producing glucose so that it can metabolize the alcohol. This can cause your numbers to go low (hypoglycemic) and the symptoms of hypo are basically a match to being drunk,

slurred speech, disorientation, staggering, just plain look drunk. This can be very dangerous. Just use common sense with what you can eat and you will be fine. There are many forums relating to Diabetes and the best thing is to read, read, read and inform yourself.

Have A Great Day,

Dave

Hi all,

Basically, if you are on insulin, you are already counting carbs and can guesstimate how many carbs each item is.

NOTHING is off-limits to diabetics...it is a lot of common sense...BUT EVERYONE should be eating healthy in reasonable portios

KNOW what a portion size is.....this is where people have a lot of problems...a muffin portion 30 years ago was probably only 25% of most muffins you get these days...

BUT NOTHING should be ingested to the point of gluttony.

People who eat a healthy diet- can easily continue on a cruise.

The BEST things to avoid is ADDED sugar...and any sodas, mixed alcohol drinks, and high glycemic foods like watermelon.

Avoid juices, better to eat the fruit whole instead.....the fiber helps lessen the blood sugar rising too quickly...

If you can't have just a taste of something- don't let it near your plate!

I think most people- if they think thru their food choices- can add in a very small portion of whatever dessert they like.

Example- instead of choosing a potato....choose broccoli...and use the carbs saved there for a small portion of whatever dessert is being offered that you would like.

I tended to eat a lot of cheesecake...hahaha because the fat and protein in it- would slow a glycemic BURST in my body....I would eat more of the inside and would skip the crusts and ask for no added sauce and instead some fresh berries...

I try to avoid anything slathered in icing....

If I REALLY wanted a potato...then I tried to just have some fresh fruit for dessert...to balance how may carbs were in one meal.

And as mentioned before...walking is a great exercise to help your overall well-being...

Understand the reason why I say nothing is off limits...it is when you start getting that mind set- that something is forbidden- you CRAVE it more and when you do get to eat some- you stuff yourself instead of having self-control....

BUT if you have not developed ANY self-control- just don't let it near you...

Just sharing some thoughts....

for individual advice, follow your Dr's. instructions...

Hi Judith,

Sorry to hear about your husband ,but diet and exercise do help. I faced the same situation last summer. While I did exercise I got very aggressive with my program. I added water aerobics 2x a week , light weight lifting class 2x a week ,a line dancing class 1 1/2 hours each week to my regular workouts and more walking.

I knew 2 people 5 years ago with pre diabetes and they told the doctor to give them some time before going onto any meds. They ate nothing white ( no rice, sugar, pasta,potatoes,flour) in addition to exercising. They both lost around 40 pounds and their A1C went down and never went on meds.

Every 3 months I had my blood test and my A1C has steadily gone down and my doctor said my progress has been excellent.

I just got back from a cruise on the Crown Princess May 1st. When I cruise I don't take the elevator up or down.I swim , walk and work out a little in the gym.( best time is when people are in port). They had sugar free desserts at night ,lunch and sometimes at the International Cafe by the piazza.( no charge there except for gelato and special coffees) I even tried the Scoops ice cream on the Lido deck .( They had sugar free ice cream) But you still need to watch your carb intake.

When you check with Princess about your husband's diet sometimes they don't call it diabetes but eating a low glucose diet. I didn't order the special diet but tried to stay on the no white foods concept. I didn't deny myself everything. I hadn't had bread in a while so at dinner I would take one roll and eat a little bit. I love vegetables so I always included a lot of them. I am sure my A1C went up a little but I was really careful and when I got home I went back on what I did before to lower my count.

I hope I have helped you a little but every situation is different depending on your A1C level. Mine is working for me. I am very motivated to get the count down will my effort so I don't have to go on meds or insulin shots. If it can't be done that I will have to adjust to the new situation. But since I have found success with what I am doing and the doctor is delighted with my progress I will continue with what I am doing.

What ship are you going on?

Hopefully diet and lots of exercise will bring your husband the best results too.

Sali (I am Orangefan because I follow Syracuse University sports)

First of all. Thank you to everyone for taking the time to give us such excellent feedback. I am sure, knowing Mark, that he will do everything he can to maintain optimal health. Although my glucose is WNL, I will go on the diet with him as this has really gotten my attention and it is a very healthy diet. We are people who exercise regularly so already have that in order.

Sali....we will be on the Sapphire Princess.

Just ask. Rolls are multigrain, not white & they also have a 6 grain roll for breakfast which is great with Orange Marmalade or sugar free syrup on it. I had eggs benedict on 4 of them per egg. Very full til dinner when I had it.

Hi Judith,

Sorry to hear about your husband ,but diet and exercise do help. I faced the same situation last summer. While I did exercise I got very aggressive with my program. I added water aerobics 2x a week , light weight lifting class 2x a week ,a line dancing class 1 1/2 hours each week to my regular workouts and more walking.

I knew 2 people 5 years ago with pre diabetes and they told the doctor to give them some time before going onto any meds. They ate nothing white ( no rice, sugar, pasta,potatoes,flour) in addition to exercising. They both lost around 40 pounds and their A1C went down and never went on meds.

Every 3 months I had my blood test and my A1C has steadily gone down and my doctor said my progress has been excellent.

I just got back from a cruise on the Crown Princess May 1st. When I cruise I don't take the elevator up or down.I swim , walk and work out a little in the gym.( best time is when people are in port). They had sugar free desserts at night ,lunch and sometimes at the International Cafe by the piazza.( no charge there except for gelato and special coffees) I even tried the Scoops ice cream on the Lido deck .( They had sugar free ice cream) But you still need to watch your carb intake.

When you check with Princess about your husband's diet sometimes they don't call it diabetes but eating a low glucose diet. I didn't order the special diet but tried to stay on the no white foods concept. I didn't deny myself everything. I hadn't had bread in a while so at dinner I would take one roll and eat a little bit. I love vegetables so I always included a lot of them. I am sure my A1C went up a little but I was really careful and when I got home I went back on what I did before to lower my count.

I hope I have helped you a little but every situation is different depending on your A1C level. Mine is working for me. I am very motivated to get the count down will my effort so I don't have to go on meds or insulin shots. If it can't be done that I will have to adjust to the new situation. But since I have found success with what I am doing and the doctor is delighted with my progress I will continue with what I am doing.

What ship are you going on?

Hopefully diet and lots of exercise will bring your husband the best results too.

Sali (I am Orangefan because I follow Syracuse University sports)

The diagnosis can be a shock at first, although this is rampant in my husbands family. He thought he did everything right. Just follow the diet but do it with caution. Rich followed all the rules and became under weight at first. He started thin.

I don't think cruise ships can offer specific diabetic diets because diabetics react differently to different foods. The ships do offer a good variety of food options and diabetics know what they can eat and how they can cheat.

Judith just eating your husbands diet is great. Do that at home, but on a cruise I do sneak some pizza. Rich understands.

Ula.....just loved your post and the remark about pizza. What I could not give up is fruit juice, especially citrus. Even just 4 oz in the morning would satisfy me.

I think that it will be very helpful to talk to the dietician. I have also received a lot of caring, useful information to all who responded to this thread.

Mark and I have just entered our 60's and I think this is a very smart diet for both of us, but I may sneak too!

Judith

Judith, here are a couple of sites which may help you which I have found very usefull over the years. Also you can review the sample menus on the Princess Site. I am type 1 using a insulin pump so I plan on using the sample menus to help plan. Also remember you can ask for off menu items if they are available, I usually as for a bowl of berries for desert. Good Luck

http://www.diabetes-self-mgmt.com/

http://www.lifescan.com/

http://www.diabetes.org/

http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/index.htm

Diabetic for 50 years. :)

Archived