Am I Making A Mistake?

stretch44

Considering a family cruise in September on Solstice. I know that Celebrity is not as kid friendly as some of the other mainstream lines but just how bad will it be for the kids?

My family includes 2 children, 7 and 10 years old. We have taken our annual vacation on cruise ships for the last 5 years. Last year we sailed on RCI's Freedom Of The Seas and enjoyed it very much. However much to my surprise, the kids did not use the H2O zone, rock climbing wall or Flowrider. They instead spent much of their free time in the kids club and enjoyed it very much. Will there be other kids on board in September? Are RCI and Celebrity kids clubs similar? We would love to "step up" to Celebrity but not if the kids are going to feel out of place.

I bet you will be fine, albeit probably fewer (not few) kids. But tha could be a great thing in the kid' club in that they'll have tons of option without much competition. Plus, there's always the pool, not to menton the shore days.

In of itself, Celebrity runs a fine program for kids. Our kids have been on 6 cruises with Celebrity including one when they were your kids' age and they LOVED it.

You're going in September when kids are back in school, so there will be very few on board. On the cruise before ours on Solstice (we were on during President's Week, so we had around 300 kids), there were exactly 12 kids, and those were mostly toddlers and infants, just one school age child. Seeing that most kids cannot/do not miss the first week of school, I highly doubt you will find many school age kids on board.

You're going in September when kids are back in school, so there will be very few on board. On the cruise before ours on Solstice (we were on during President's Week, so we had around 300 kids), there were exactly 12 kids, and those were mostly toddlers and infants, just one school age child. Seeing that most kids cannot/do not miss the first week of school, I highly doubt you will find many school age kids on board.

One school aged child! Yikes! May have to rethink this and sadly go back to RCI. Surprised there is not more children than this. Our school district goes year round with 4 three week breaks. One of those breaks occur in September. All of our past cruises have been in Sept/Oct and have had many children. I assumed many other schools had the same program or they were home schooled. While I didn't expect as many kids on Celebrity, I was thinking more than one! Thanks for the information.

Not so fast! We cruised the Med on X in November and there were a surprising number of school-aged kids on board. I don't think you can generalize, and I certainly don't think there will be a big disparity in the numbers on board X vs RCCL.

RCL always has kids onboard. It is known for families. Celebrity gets a smaller number even in the summer months.

If having a lot of kids onboard is impt., then I wouldn't sail X. There aren't the bells and whitstles to keep them occupied if the number of other kids is low either.

We saw exactly 7 kids marching around with the counselor on our Feb cruise. Mostly 5-7yrs. Didn't see any over that age for the whole week.

One school aged child! Yikes! May have to rethink this and sadly go back to RCI. Surprised there is not more children than this. Our school district goes year round with 4 three week breaks. One of those breaks occur in September. All of our past cruises have been in Sept/Oct and have had many children. I assumed many other schools had the same program or they were home schooled. While I didn't expect as many kids on Celebrity, I was thinking more than one! Thanks for the information.

Hi, sounds like you have a different type of school district....I know where

we live its still old style....starts back in August....goes till December....

off for 2 weeks for Christmas break....back to school after the New Year...

goes til March..one week off Spring Break..back to school till June....off for 3 months....

I don't have any kids but work with others who do.....we don't have

year round. I have no idea what the % is for home schooling.....

You will find kids....I am guessing more than 1 but not 100s.....

not in the middle of September.

Never thought about year round school scheduling. I just try to avoid "regular" school break times as my kids are grown and I have a "been there, done that" attitude about being around kids!! So, those with kids on the year round schedule, when are your school breaks?

I wouldn't worry about it. If you want to give Celebrity a try, go for it! We have cruised with our kids since they were 6 & 10 (now 17 & 20), and we never once gave a moment's thought as to how many other kids might be on board. Our kids were on HAL when they were 11 & 14 and loved it. They've been on RCL and really weren't impressed. The vacation will be what you make of it and no matter what line you are on you will have good family time together!

We were on Solstice the week of April 11 with my two DD ages 6 and 10. I thought there would be a ton of kids that week because it was spring break in Connecticut however there were 150 kids from babies to teen on our ship.. Let me tell you, I never saw my kids. They made friends and wanted to be a the Fun Factory from morning to early morning!! WE had to drag them out around midnight everynight because WE were exhausted.

We had been on two Disney cruises with them and they both agrees that Celebrity was so much better and they made us promise that we would never take them back on a DIsney cruise. Depending on the kids, mine enjoyed a smaller setting with personalized attention as opposed to DCL with 1,000 kids on board. Just a thought.

I agree with other posters that September is usually a time when the amount of kids sailing is minimal. I happen to think that the rccl ships would offer more to do for kids. The solstice only has a basketball court. If it were me, I would go with rccl. I happen to think the solstice is geared to older passengers who want a relaxing cruise experience.....jmo.

Never thought about year round school scheduling. I just try to avoid "regular" school break times as my kids are grown and I have a "been there, done that" attitude about being around kids!! So, those with kids on the year round schedule, when are your school breaks?

School breaks here are 3 weeks in September, December, March and June.

We were on Solstice the week of April 11 with my two DD ages 6 and 10. I thought there would be a ton of kids that week because it was spring break in Connecticut however there were 150 kids from babies to teen on our ship.. Let me tell you, I never saw my kids. They made friends and wanted to be a the Fun Factory from morning to early morning!! WE had to drag them out around midnight everynight because WE were exhausted.

We had been on two Disney cruises with them and they both agrees that Celebrity was so much better and they made us promise that we would never take them back on a DIsney cruise. Depending on the kids, mine enjoyed a smaller setting with personalized attention as opposed to DCL with 1,000 kids on board. Just a thought.

Now you've made it difficult!:)

Just when I figured it would be best to go back to RCI and wait to sail Celebrity after the kids have grown, you post this! We have done 3 cruises with Disney and loved it but I do think the kids would like the personal attention they probably would get on Celebrity.

I agree with the other poster regarding lack of school age children in September (or any other time during regular school year). In fact, you may have to expect none. It is also the reason that many people who prefer to see NO kids on their cruise opt for cruising at that time. This is true especially for Celebrity which caters more to the older passengers at most other times as well. I would seriously rethink your choice of cruise line/cruise time.

Now you've made it difficult!:)

Just when I figured it would be best to go back to RCI and wait to sail Celebrity after the kids have grown, you post this! We have done 3 cruises with Disney and loved it but I do think the kids would like the personal attention they probably would get on Celebrity.

If your kids loved Disney (as most do), I think it is best to stay with that line. I have talked to many parents whose children were not very happy with changing to Celebrity from Disney. And as far as this cruise in September, and if you have no choice but to cruise that month, I would definitely not choose Celebrity. Your kids are very likely to be VERY bored (and having more personal attention from staff will NOT compensate for lack of companionship from kids thier own age).

There is no guarantees on how many children will be on any cruise at any time & a Sept sailing imo would be fine on a Celebrity cruise for children ,especially since school years are now set up differently than the traditional .

If it were us taking children we would definitely do a Celebrity cruise . However, if you have any doubts then I would go back to a Disney cruise .

NEVER had a problem with there not being "enough" kids on board..and my kids LOVE X.. Just as much as RCCL. In fact - more.

Also, some folks on these boards do not like having kids on X to begin with and find every opportunity to discourage parents with children.

I think you have made a good choice and you wont know until you give it a try. Had I listened to similar comments prior to our 12 night med cruise last year, our family would have missed out on our best vacation yet!

Considering a family cruise in September on Solstice. I know that Celebrity is not as kid friendly as some of the other mainstream lines but just how bad will it be for the kids?

My family includes 2 children, 7 and 10 years old. We have taken our annual vacation on cruise ships for the last 5 years. Last year we sailed on RCI's Freedom Of The Seas and enjoyed it very much. However much to my surprise, the kids did not use the H2O zone, rock climbing wall or Flowrider. They instead spent much of their free time in the kids club and enjoyed it very much. Will there be other kids on board in September? Are RCI and Celebrity kids clubs similar? We would love to "step up" to Celebrity but not if the kids are going to feel out of place.

You woud have a much better chance of more kids if you went just weeks earlier before kids were back in school. Do you home school your kids ?

NEVER had a problem with there not being "enough" kids on board..and my kids LOVE X.. Just as much as RCCL. In fact - more.

Also, some folks on these boards do not like having kids on X to begin with and find every opportunity to discourage parents with children.

I think you have made a good choice and you wont know until you give it a try. Had I listened to similar comments prior to our 12 night med cruise last year, our family would have missed out on our best vacation yet!

I have three kids who have always loved cruising on Celebrity so I am definitely NOT one to discourage people with children from cruising on Celebrity. However, I was replying to the OP concern regading cruising in September. I know for sure that, even though no one can state wih 100% accuracy, the probability of having other children onboard is not very good at all. Given this sitution and with her having already cruised on Disney where her children liked it very much, I would not switch to Celebrity for that particular cruise.

There is no guarantees on how many children will be on any cruise at any time & a Sept sailing imo would be fine on a Celebrity cruise for children ,especially since school years are now set up differently than the traditional .

If it were us taking children we would definitely do a Celebrity cruise . However, if you have any doubts then I would go back to a Disney cruise .

No more Disney for us. It was great when they were younger but none of us have any desire to sail Disney. They're too old. Last 2 years we have sailed NCL (disappointment) and RCI. While the kids loved the club on RCI they didn't have much interest in anything else. I liked RCI but don't really care for the "party" atmosphere. We are an older couple (50's) that prefers quieter moments when we are kid free.

You woud have a much better chance of more kids if you went just weeks earlier before kids were back in school. Do you home school your kids ?

Do not home school, School break is last 2 weeks of Sept and first week of Oct.

Kind of got that feeling too from reading some of the posts!

Archived