What is tea ? In UK terms

Bethcruiser

Tea at the Queen's Court is served at 4:00 P.M. It is a white glove tea service. The tea served is English Breakfast. There are separate waiters that would serve you three items: Scones and Jams, Pastries, and sandwiches. There is also a live band and guests are welcome to dance in the floor. Yes, tea time at the QM2 is one that I dont' miss. I did not go to the Winter Garden, but I don't recall iced tea being served. Sorry.

[quote name='Kindlychap']
Firstly, who in his right mind serves scones without a separate pot of cream and second of jam? Those ready assembled things are not really a proper treat.....
And they're cold! Scones should be eaten warm, and not reheated - warm from being freshly cooked.
[/quote]

How right you are, Kindlychap. In addition, the scones should be plain, not fruit, and the cream must be clotted. Please reassure me.
In hope, Mary

[quote name='Kindlychap']Their teas are okay. Nothing special. Tea bags - and we've had occasions (after dinner) where the teabag remains in the cup.[/quote]

The tea is OK - it's the water. The heavy chlorine taste and (I suspect) that they don't use truly boiling water.

[quote]Having said that, it does taste better on the balcony![/quote]

Show off:p

iceman666 you have a fairly good list of the breaks there and Skippyyy a list of UK meal descriptions that are going to confuse a lot of the Americans.

However you have both missed out "elevenses". A mid morning break for sustenance. Not a formal event but a beverage (often tea!) and snack to keep you going until lunch.

Now also not to be forgotten is the traditional partner of Afternoon Tea : Morning Coffee - the name is pretty self explanatory.

Living in the UK is so much like being on a cruise, you are only ever a couple of hours away from your next meal.

[quote name='transat_jon']
Living in the UK is so much like being on a cruise, you are only ever a couple of hours away from your next meal.[/quote]

[B][I]A couple of hours away from your next meal:eek:[/I][/B]? Have you never heard of the 'little something'? With this great British tradition you're never more than a second away from the next spot of sustenance as it can be eaten at any time of day or night and contain whatever you like.

Heading for the fridge, Mary.

[quote name='Norfolk Brit'][B][I]A couple of hours away from your next meal:eek:[/I][/B]? Have you never heard of the 'little something'? With this great British tradition you're never more than a second away from the next spot of sustenance as it can be eaten at any time of day or night and contain whatever you like.

Heading for the fridge, Mary.[/quote]

I thought that a smackeral of something was served at 10.55 am? ;)

[quote name='Norfolk Brit']According to AA Milne, a smackerel of something is served at nearly eleven o'clock, presumably to keep you going until elevenses.

Mary[/quote]

Indeed. The theory is that as Pooh's clock is stuck at that time, he is always in the position of being at the perfect time for the said smackerel!

I always think that Pooh is one of the glories of our literature, and one of the greatest sins perpetuated by the colonials was the caricature of him from the Great Satan, Walt Disney.

[quote name='Kindlychap']Indeed. The theory is that as Pooh's clock is stuck at that time, he is always in the position of being at the perfect time for the said smackerel!

I always think that Pooh is one of the glories of our literature, and one of the greatest sins perpetuated by the colonials was the caricature of him from the Great Satan, Walt Disney.[/quote]

Oh, how I agree. Anyone who hasn't read them since childhood should re-visit them; the subtle humour is rather wasted on children. And as for the ghastly Disney caricatures, Shepherd must be revolving.

How did we get from aftenoon tea to Winnie the Pooh?:)

Mary

Archived